Gloves...what’s that all about, then?

• Thread starter Deleted member 26595
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1147

Often wondered that myself, good question. (y)
I take it off because for chipping and putting you just don’t need the grip, as the swing speed is so much slower. So it’s just not required.

Maybe the slow swing speed of some forummers is the reason they don’t need the glove’s extra grip?

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
Hi all, new on here

I only recently changed my clubs, and could only really grip my 18 year old clubs with a glove on, yes I should have regripped but I didn’t!!! The grip difference is massive with a glove (on older grips) - but with brand new clubs less so. But a new £7.99 glove each year saved me money for quite a few years.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am aggressive. Love that. I have always wanted to be perceived as tough. Yeah, right. Not me really, bit of a pussy cat.

Just don't get why wearing, not wearing a glove is an issue. Each to their own.

Siolag

Visit site
My dad told me it’s to help a right handed person to get the left hand to compensate for the right handed dominance.

Does it make a difference to my swing? Don’t know.

Do I wear one? Yes 😂.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why do players who were a glove take it off when they putt?
I just tried it once and it felt nicer and more in touch with the putter, so I kept doing it ever since. It's also a bit of a mental focus thing for me. Maybe sounds silly, but taking the glove off kind of focuses my mind that I'm into the 'putting zone'. Or something like that. It sounds daft when you say it out loud. :LOL:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just tried it once and it felt nicer and more in touch with the putter, so I kept doing it ever since. It's also a bit of a mental focus thing for me. Maybe sounds silly, but taking the glove off kind of focuses my mind that I'm into the 'putting zone'. Or something like that. It sounds daft when you say it out loud. :LOL:
I leave mine on. It just feels strange if I take it off. But dafter - I play all shots right handed but putt left handed with the same glove on my left hand.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Like Duncan posted earlier, I wear a glove as I have rubbed holes in the glove and sometimes my thumb which is prefer not to. I usually take my glove off to putt but not always

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I guess I’ll have to try one and see.

I’m hitting 80 or 120 balls, four or five times a week since I started four weeks ago, and haven’t worn any holes in my hands yet... in fact, the only blister I had was on my right hand!

It’s just that I have a fairly strong aversion to wearing gloves.
If you have an aversion to wearing gloves I wouldn't bother. Most but not all tournament professionals wear them, however as a starter there are other factors which will make a far greater difference to your game.
Generally they are worn on the left hand because you have more contact with the palm of your hand, they increase friction thus enabling lighter grip pressure which is generally held to be good idea.
People often take them of for short shots where the chance of a club slipping is lowand they feel that having direct skin contact gives them more 'feel'

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In all the lessons I have had my grip has never been mentioned by the pro and I assume that I have the grip pressure about right. I have also been told on occasions that I have nice soft hands (ie in the way I hit shots). I’ve never worn a glove (apart from McWets in the rain) and I honestly don’t think that wearing one would assist.

The point is that we are all different and for many a glove is a definite help, although I bet a number a glove is only worn because that was what they were told to do and it has become a habit.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Who else takes their glove off around the 9/PW and less instead of putting?

Glove is only for the 80-100% shots. Inside about 100 yards is taken off.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I leave mine on. It just feels strange if I take it off. But dafter - I play all shots right handed but putt left handed with the same glove on my left hand.
I would feel strange at first as you're used to having it on. I think it would have felt strange the first time I tried taking it off to putt, but ultimately I liked the feel of it and must have putted well that day to carry on doing it. There are other reasons to take it off as well, like in hot weather it's nice to give the hand an airing and maybe stop the glove getting as sweaty if you take it off every time you're walking up to the green.

Who else takes their glove off around the 9/PW and less instead of putting?

Glove is only for the 80-100% shots. Inside about 100 yards is taken off.
That's an interesting theory. I would still keep mine on for pitches because I want to keep the speed and feel similar to a full swing, but for chips around the green it would actually make sense for me not to wear it, since my chips are like putts with an 8 iron anyway.