What’s your favourite layup distance?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Then laser has been invaluable for this. for both learning which club and speed for a certain distance and they knowing exactly how far the pin is away on the course.

When playing the shot. I do the lazy swing to set a baseline then move up through the speeds when I need them. it also gets me into a nice rhythm and checks that I am bottoming out well and not digging too much.

Wee video here to help.
I know you've already seen my 'played today' post from last night, so just to add that you did help me with this post, albeit in a slightly backwards way, so thanks. You just got me thinking more about tempo, and as I said in the other post, that's what made me realise that I was often too slow with my half swing pitches which is why they would go short of the green. I made sure I gave them a bit more punch and was really happy with the results. So rather than lazy swings I needed punchier swings, but you got me thinking on the right lines anyway! :D(y)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know you've already seen my 'played today' post from last night, so just to add that you did help me with this post, albeit in a slightly backwards way, so thanks. You just got me thinking more about tempo, and as I said in the other post, that's what made me realise that I was often too slow with my half swing pitches which is why they would go short of the green. I made sure I gave them a bit more punch and was really happy with the results. So rather than lazy swings I needed punchier swings, but you got me thinking on the right lines anyway! :D(y)

Yeah good man. Glad it opened up your eyes to the idea of a faster half swing. Maybe it's more like what I feel for my swing 2 speed or even full.

Its finding what works for you, refining it and practicing it.

Good luck and post up how things progress.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
The average number for greens in regulation on the PGA tour is just under 12 (65%). If those guys carried a HCP it would be around +6 or better. And yet that guy with his 7 handicap "hardly needs" chipping because he hits so many greens... :ROFLMAO:
To be fair, if you have a limited practice schedule why would you focus on things you don’t do often

I rarely practice my bunker shots because I can honestly go 7-8 rounds without going in one. So let’s say I average 77 and play 8 rounds. That’s 616 shots

Why would I practice a shot I hit for less than 0.002% of my golf?