What’s your favourite layup distance?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm willing to try something like that on my next practise round of course, but 'lazy swing' sounds like asking for a duff to me. :LOL: I'm hoping to get down on Friday night and try a few things.

Then laser has been invaluable for this. for both learning which club and speed for a certain distance and they knowing exactly how far the pin is away on the course.

When playing the shot. I do the lazy swing to set a baseline then move up through the speeds when I need them. it also gets me into a nice rhythm and checks that I am bottoming out well and not digging too much.

Wee video here to help.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Yes it's a massive myth that it's better to leave a full 80 to 100 yd shot than get as close as you can.
Still, there is no telling some.

That is a dogmatic statement, is it not?. It seems to me that it is a personal thing. Some can't chip well, some can. Low handicaps have good distance control on full clubs, to the extent that some prefer those shots than they do chipping.
I played with a 7 handicap some years ago who did not like chipping, and was not good at it. I asked him once why this was a weakness, and he said that at his best he hardly needed to do it, so it wasn't something he did enough to be good at. He explained that he was nearly always on in regulation!
And I reckon there's something in that.
I've had plenty of practice at chipping, from some wonderful places😀

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
That is a dogmatic statement, is it not?. It seems to me that it is a personal thing. Some can't chip well, some can. Low handicaps have good distance control on full clubs, to the extent that some prefer those shots than they do chipping.
I played with a 7 handicap some years ago who did not like chipping, and was not good at it. I asked him once why this was a weakness, and he said that at his best he hardly needed to do it, so it wasn't something he did enough to be good at. He explained that he was nearly always on in regulation!

So if he hits most green in reg why is he laying up? Sounds like another load of BS to me ;)

Its amusing the lengths (if you'll pardon the pun) some will go to come up with a scenario to try and shoe horn this old wives tale into reality

I know people who cant chip, wont chip, will putt from anywhere and everywhere, use a hybrid so they dont shank it you name it, someone is doing it.

None of which make the underlying premise untrue.

Last edited:

UlyssesSky

Head Pro
Visit site
You clearly haven't seen my dad or anyone that has the pitching/chipping yips.

I agree the closer the better for most players. But those that have real issues at shorter shits sometimes a 100yards or a *** that leaves them a full swing is the lesser of 2 evils.

I would bet many of those players who have "issues" at shorter shots and feel more comfortable with full shots are missjudging their abilities. If you let any of those players hit 10 shots from 50 yards and then ask them if they would take the result if the shot had been from 100 yards they probably would be finde with at least 8/10. They just have unrealistic expectations how close they should be hitting it from 50 yards and underestimate the number of mistakes (chunk, push, pull, hook, anything that misses the green entirely) they're going to make hitting full shots.

Plus say someone off mid 20s gets 2 shots on index 1 par 4 hole, where is the benefit in them going for the green in 2 if they're hitting a 220yard 2nd shot. They're off that handicap for a reason and you can sure as hell bet part of that reason is they're not consistent at that distance to get anywhere near. Better for them to hit say 2 PW 110yards and be on in 3, take 2 putts and they've got nett birdie.

I agree with you they shouldn't take on the 220 yard shot. But I would also say they'd be much better off hitting e.g. 6 iron to 70 yards and then pitching it on from there.

UlyssesSky

Head Pro
Visit site

The average number for greens in regulation on the PGA tour is just under 12 (65%). If those guys carried a HCP it would be around +6 or better. And yet that guy with his 7 handicap "hardly needs" chipping because he hits so many greens... :ROFLMAO:

Wolf

Visit site
I would bet many of those players who have "issues" at shorter shots and feel more comfortable with full shots are missjudging their abilities. If you let any of those players hit 10 shots from 50 yards and then ask them if they would take the result if the shot had been from 100 yards they probably would be finde with at least 8/10. They just have unrealistic expectations how close they should be hitting it from 50 yards and underestimate the number of mistakes (chunk, push, pull, hook, anything that misses the green entirely) they're going to make hitting full shots.

I agree with you they shouldn't take on the 220 yard shot. But I would also say they'd be much better off hitting e.g. 6 iron to 70 yards and then pitching it on from there.
But your not taking into account people that literally cannot do it. My dad I've used as an example has an unbelievable block on anything under 100yards. Ex 4 handicap player and now is up in the low teens as the last 10 years has struggled so badly with pitching yips, he literally can't draw the club back.

Whilst I agree with you in the most part blanket statements like yours are not accounting for people with genuine issues and in some cases its not as easy as just getting a lesson or accepting things.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
You clearly haven't seen my dad or anyone that has the pitching/chipping yips.

I agree the closer the better for most players. But those that have real issues at shorter shits sometimes a 100yards or a *** that leaves them a full swing is the lesser of 2 evils.

Plus say someone off mid 20s gets 2 shots on index 1 par 4 hole, where is the benefit in them going for the green in 2 if they're hitting a 220yard 2nd shot. They're off that handicap for a reason and you can sure as hell bet part of that reason is they're not consistent at that distance to get anywhere near. Better for them to hit say 2 PW 110yards and be on in 3, take 2 putts and they've got nett birdie. They try and sail a fairway wood down there it could get topped, sliced or chunked 10yards. Means the same dilemma again.. Better for that player or the one with the shirt game issues to take the first option.

It's not about stats or being right or wrong, it's merely using correction course management for the individual playing the shot.

:eek:
I'd suggest a trip to the doctor!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But your not taking into account people that literally cannot do it. My dad I've used as an example has an unbelievable block on anything under 100yards. Ex 4 handicap player and now is up in the low teens as the last 10 years has struggled so badly with pitching yips, he literally can't draw the club back.

Whilst I agree with you in the most part blanket statements like yours are not accounting for people with genuine issues and in some cases its not as easy as just getting a lesson or accepting things.
What does he do for those shots then? Genuinely interested. Does he have to putt from really far off the green, or use a chipper?

D

Deleted Member 1156

The average number for greens in regulation on the PGA tour is just under 12 (65%). If those guys carried a HCP it would be around +6 or better. And yet that guy with his 7 handicap "hardly needs" chipping because he hits so many greens... :ROFLMAO:
Maybe that's because the guys on tour are playing longer, tougher courses.

Wolf

Visit site
What does he do for those shots then? Genuinely interested. Does he have to putt from really far off the green, or use a chipper?
If its around the green then he will putt wherever feasibly possible. If its a pitch then he goes through the most long winded process partly out of fear partly out of trying to figure out what the hell to do and then proceed to shank, chunk or thin it 9/10.

He will literally leave himself a full shot wherever he can these days. Its a real shame as I say he used to be off 4 and last few years since this all began he's drifted up think he's 14 or 15 now, he still. Strikes the ball like a low handicap and putts superbly. Spoke to him Friday he'd just got home from a medal comp said he'd played beautifully all day with the exception of 2 holes toward the end where he ended up in that voodoo zone of 70 yards and proceed to hit shanks, fats the lot and made a 10 on both holes, both of them par 4s.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If its around the green then he will putt wherever feasibly possible. If its a pitch then he goes through the most long winded process partly out of fear partly out of trying to figure out what the hell to do and then proceed to shank, chunk or thin it 9/10.

He will literally leave himself a full shot wherever he can these days. Its a real shame as I say he used to be off 4 and last few years since this all began he's drifted up think he's 14 or 15 now, he still. Strikes the ball like a low handicap and putts superbly. Spoke to him Friday he'd just got home from a medal comp said he'd played beautifully all day with the exception of 2 holes toward the end where he ended up in that voodoo zone of 70 yards and proceed to hit shanks, fats the lot and made a 10 on both holes, both of them par 4s.
Wow. That is crazy. Maybe buy him a 68 degree wedge so he can still hit full shots from there! :D(y)

Wolf

Visit site
Wow. That is crazy. Maybe buy him a 68 degree wedge so he can still hit full shots from there! :D(y)
I don't even think it's the club to be honest it's more the distance it's a real block for him these days. We last played at Christmas, 1st hole his club is driveable at 268 yards with no real threats if you miss a touch wide. I hit driver pin high left, dad took 2 x 9 irons just incase he missed the green with a driver he didn't fancy an easy chip if he couldn't guarantee a putt. It's actually quite hard to watch

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't even think it's the club to be honest it's more the distance it's a real block for him these days. We last played at Christmas, 1st hole his club is driveable at 268 yards with no real threats if you miss a touch wide. I hit driver pin high left, dad took 2 x 9 irons just incase he missed the green with a driver he didn't fancy an easy chip if he couldn't guarantee a putt. It's actually quite hard to watch
I'd find that soul destroying not only as the golfer your dad use to be but perhaps more so having to watch that and not be able to help in some way

Wolf

Visit site
I'd find that soul destroying not only as the golfer your dad use to be but perhaps more so having to watch that and not be able to help in some way
He does Homer absolutely soul destroying, he loves the game and keeps going back to play as its his outlet. But the more it goes on the worse it gets and has spoken about what's the point playing. I'd say he actually needs to get a chipper for around the greens just something to try and help alleviate some of it. The pitching however it's another issue how we solve that I don't know.

When I play with him it's awful to see him hit it so well then fall apart if he leaves less than 100yards. He was Captain of the A team, won so many board comps Strokeplay and matchplay and now he can't get near the hole it's really quite sad.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
He does Homer absolutely soul destroying, he loves the game and keeps going back to play as its his outlet. But the more it goes on the worse it gets and has spoken about what's the point playing. I'd say he actually needs to get a chipper for around the greens just something to try and help alleviate some of it. The pitching however it's another issue how we solve that I don't know.

When I play with him it's awful to see him hit it so well then fall apart if he leaves less than 100yards. He was Captain of the A team, won so many board comps Strokeplay and matchplay and now he can't get near the hole it's really quite sad.
Definitely sounds like a chipper would be worth a try if he hasn't tried one. Since it's basically just a putter with loads of loft he might find it easier mentally. I find this sort of thing fascinating - do you or does he have any idea how it started?

Wolf

Visit site
Definitely sounds like a chipper would be worth a try if he hasn't tried one. Since it's basically just a putter with loads of loft he might find it easier mentally. I find this sort of thing fascinating - do you or does he have any idea how it started?
It's just convincing him to use one that's the next battle. I think it'd do him wonders especially as he is a good putter and it's like you say just an extension of that really.

As to your question honestly don't know, I think perhaps to do with the fact over the years he's been a real student of the game that he's literally over done it tried to many different things and completely screwed himself mentally, tried changing to many times that now he's got no idea anymore what to do or how to do it just over complicates and freezes

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It's just convincing him to use one that's the next battle. I think it'd do him wonders especially as he is a good putter and it's like you say just an extension of that really.

As to your question honestly don't know, I think perhaps to do with the fact over the years he's been a real student of the game that he's literally over done it tried to many different things and completely screwed himself mentally, tried changing to many times that now he's got no idea anymore what to do or how to do it just over complicates and freezes

Has he tried this drill?
You try and hit the ball under the shaft.
If you get it right, the ball lifts over the shaft