Gloves...what’s that all about, then?

• Thread starter Deleted member 26595
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 26595

The obvious answer might be to provide grip?

But I’ve never come close to letting go of my clubs.

I get no discomfort from not wearing a glove...what are they for, why would I need one?

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
They are a fad, an affectation. Often used as part of a "pre-shot" routine that helps with slow play.

The only times you need one/two is a) when you are hitting a hundred + balls at the range and have just put new grips on your clubs, b) when its cold, c) when it's wet. For b) and c), two gloves are better than one.

D

Deleted member 1147

I went years without wearing one.
But now I think grip is better in less than perfect conditions (wet, cold etc) and when it’s very hot and your hands get sweaty.

D

Deleted member 1147

They are a fad, an affectation. Often used as part of a "pre-shot" routine that helps with slow play.

The only times you need one/two is a) when you are hitting a hundred + balls at the range and have just put new grips on your clubs, b) when its cold, c) when it's wet. For b) and c), two gloves are better than one.
What a load of rubbish-you can leave your glove on so it has nothing to do with a PSR🙄

D

Deleted member 26595

I guess I’ll have to try one and see.

I’m hitting 80 or 120 balls, four or five times a week since I started four weeks ago, and haven’t worn any holes in my hands yet... in fact, the only blister I had was on my right hand!

It’s just that I have a fairly strong aversion to wearing gloves.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I haven’t worn a glove in 4 years apart from 2 occasions when I played in heavy rain. When it is cold I wear mittens which are so easy to put on and off without a glove. Hands stay lovely and warm.
I never feel that I lose grip
With modern grips there is no need for a glove.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Each to their own. I find that I don't have to grip quite as tightly if I'm wearing one. But if one is happy without a glove, then fine.

But if you do wear one, then put it on & leave it on, (or make sure it's back on before it's your turn to play). Fanny around with it when you should be hitting the ball and you will get the evil eye from me...

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk

Do you honestly think that virtually every pro would wear one if it didn't help? I played for years without one but, as I got older, I found that a glove helped me to grip the club much better. I wouldn't be without one now.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
If they’re good enough for the Pro’s they’re good enough for me, I just hit my ball a few times more per round.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The obvious answer might be to provide grip?

But I’ve never come close to letting go of my clubs.

I get no discomfort from not wearing a glove...what are they for, why would I need one?

I used to not wear a glove until one very hot summers day and a very sweat palm.............

The main ideas of a glove is that enables you to grip the club very lightly which stops a build up of tension in the hands and arms.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you honestly think that virtually every pro would wear one if it didn't help? I played for years without one but, as I got older, I found that a glove helped me to grip the club much better. I wouldn't be without one now.

I'd consider wearing one if I was paid so to do :)

If it's for better grip and/or feel though, why not wear two? :unsure:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wear MacWets when it's raining.
Other than that, I've not worn a glove for decades and not let go of a club yet.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I'd consider wearing one if I was paid so to do :)

If it's for better grip and/or feel though, why not wear two? :unsure:
I don't know how you swing the club but most people grip it with the left and, as one of our old pros used to say, the right hand "just goes for a ride on the club" until near impact. In fact, I believe the right hand needs to move a bit during the swing, it's the left which creates the arc.