Glasgow Council Courses

glasgowbeginner

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi guys,

So today I played at Linn Park golf course, I've heard bad things about it but me and my PP both enjoyed the course. Lots of trees been cut back supposidly and a couple of holes lengthened since a couple of years ago. Much easier than my home course Dougalston anyway :thup:

We enjoyed it so much we had a look at membership options, for £275 you get access to all 6 council courses all year round, anybody else have this membership?

Seems mighty good value but I haven't played Ruchill, Littlehill, Lethamhill or Alexandra Park so has anyone played these and do you think its worth the membership?

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi guys,

So today I played at Linn Park golf course, I've heard bad things about it but me and my PP both enjoyed the course. Lots of trees been cut back supposidly and a couple of holes lengthened since a couple of years ago. Much easier than my home course Dougalston anyway :thup:

We enjoyed it so much we had a look at membership options, for £275 you get access to all 6 council courses all year round, anybody else have this membership?

Seems mighty good value but I haven't played Ruchill, Littlehill, Lethamhill or Alexandra Park so has anyone played these and do you think its worth the membership?

Is Dougalston the one that has/had the gym/tennis club attached? I remember some ridiculously narrow hole on there.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think Brian Barns opened Dougalston in the early 80s and lost a few balls in the process.
I played Lethamhill many years ago I seem to recall it was heavy going, might be better now though.
There's a couple of muni courses in East Kilbride that are worth a try , Torrance house and Langlands.:thup:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Only muni I hace played was Deaconsbank - but that's in East Ren I think and not in Glasgow. Fair wee track - though clubhouse still only in temp portakabin accommodation I think as the it was burnt down - David Lloyd may be building new facilities to include the clubhouse. Course still looks fine from the Stewarton Road

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only muni I hace played was Deaconsbank - but that's in East Ren I think and not in Glasgow. Fair wee track - though clubhouse still only in temp portakabin accommodation I think as the it was burnt down - David Lloyd may be building new facilities to include the clubhouse. Course still looks fine from the Stewarton Road

David Lloyd are certainly doing something there as a friend of mine is taking up the role of teaching pro there, with a view to developing the junior golf side of things.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Thonk the best muni in the area is Dalmuir. Not GCC run. Think it's East Dunbartonshire or something.

The GCC courses are fine for learning etc. but be prepared to run like mad when the neds decide they want your clubs, have a fight with concrete poles, or play footie on the fairway.

Played Royal Knightswood a few months ago and to be honest it was in no worse nick than some private clubs around the area. Just a higher number of dog turds to avoid.

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Grew up playing on Linn Park. Nothing beats the nerves as kid teeing off at the 1st with half of Castlemilk waiting for you to top it.
Haven't played up there in years, but would say the South Lanarkshire ticket is better. Better courses overall. Worth a look.