Cheapest English Golf Membership

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
17, is that the short par 3.
Must go back for a game some time.

17 is the downhill par 3, 120 yards ish. 130 if on the winter tee. With a stupid green in the trees that gets me every time! 16 is the short par 4 that makes me want to hit driver every time. And I've successfully missed the trees on the right once. Also the scene of my first ever birdie so a hole I'll always enjoy playing!

The mention about the mats from @pauljames87 is absolutely true. Played it last week and I've never played off better mats, anywhere. I'm almost wondering about a mini-meet?!

1, 2 & 18 are great holes but bloody hell, for anyone who can be a little "wayward" they're tight!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
17 is the downhill par 3, 120 yards ish. 130 if on the winter tee. With a stupid green in the trees that gets me every time! 16 is the short par 4 that makes me want to hit driver every time. And I've successfully missed the trees on the right once. Also the scene of my first ever birdie so a hole I'll always enjoy playing!

The mention about the mats from @pauljames87 is absolutely true. Played it last week and I've never played off better mats, anywhere. I'm almost wondering about a mini-meet?!

1, 2 & 18 are great holes but bloody hell, for anyone who can be a little "wayward" they're tight!

Second is definitely a position tee shot!!!!

I never understood how a member's club can have cheap rubbish winter tees but a council run course can have brilliant astro turf style winter mats that you don't need to get winter tees or balance a tee in a broken hole.. just push your castle tee in.. holds perfect

Once the winters over a mini meet sounds fun. It's bit of a mud bath j always found

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haste Hill, orikuros place is £110 if London works?
Yeah - our membership is only £110 a year, and then you pay your green fee every time you want to play there (because the course is public and council-run). Something like that sounds ideal for OP really. I don't know if there are others around offering the same kind of thing.

sunshine

Visit site
long story short, anybody know anywhere that I can pay to become a member, purely so I can retain a handicap.

Back to the OP, when I lived in Ealing I considered joining Perivale as it was only £30/year. Like you, I was just after a handicap. Any council course, e.g. Haste Hill as Orikoru stated, will offer cheap membership, as you then separately pay green fees on top. Plenty in your neck of the woods so you don't need to trek over to Trent Park.

Freewaytom

Visit site
Orchardleigh near Bath is £1 for membership, with green fees on top.
I took up the £1 Orchardleigh membership this year, I live in Warwickshire and travel to Somerset/Bristol regularly to see Friends & Family, it's a great place to meet up and play. The staff are all friendly, I'd recommend giving the office a call and see what they say, they might meet your needs?

They charge extra to manage your handicap due to England Golf fees, £35 I think.

There are some options locally to me but they want £80+ as they then offer "reduced rate" green fees, and aren't the clubs I'd join if I were to join a club around here.

I've been looking forward to casual supplementary cards since WHS was announced!!

sunshine

Visit site
Just make sure you dont stay for the saturday night "club" night (assuming they still do them)

Haha! I've heard about the over 30's night here which used to be a grab a granny meat market.

Trent Park has undergone a bit of a makeover since those days - the par 5 first hole was shortened to a par 3, and the area where the fairway used to be now houses jungle adventure golf and 3G 5-a-side pitches. The clubhouse is now branded as "Trent Park Country Club" and resembles a set from The Only Way is Essex, both in terms of decor and clientele.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Haha! I've heard about the over 30's night here which used to be a grab a granny meat market.

Trent Park has undergone a bit of a makeover since those days - the par 5 first hole was shortened to a par 3, and the area where the fairway used to be now houses jungle adventure golf and 3G 5-a-side pitches. The clubhouse is now branded as "Trent Park Country Club" and resembles a set from The Only Way is Essex, both in terms of decor and clientele.

we ended up in there on a saturday night for a late drink once! wow just wow lol

not surprised its been updated since, it was long long overdue then!