GI irons?why make the game harder??

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
I been battling with my irons since coming back to the game after a year or so off I was fitted to my Nike Vapor Pro combos forged 4 years ago and I used to hit them very well but since coming back starting to realise they’re not all that forgiving when your not on the money.so I been thinking maybe try some gi irons to help me a bit more ,my mid iron play at the moment is what’s holding me back breaking into single figures I’m just not hitting the GIR I should be. I thought rather than spend £600 on a new set of irons maybe I’ll try and pick up some older ones in my spec (standard loft and lie standard length) so a friend of mine has a set of TaylorMade RSi 1s with regular steel shafts in them(I was fitted to stiff DG pro shafts )I feel the stiff shaft In my Nikes you really got to be on top of your ball striking to get them to work with the irons and my natural shot shape is a small fade .so I borrowed the rsi1s this morning 4-pw and had a bash on my course.what a difference!!I couldn’t bealive it!I hit more gir than I have for a good while they are so easy to hit they just launch the ball i had no fade just straight shots a couple I thought I miss hit that go up and the balls on the right of the green rather than 20yards short and in the rough (like it would normally be )the difference is unreal so much easyier to hit the long irons so I’m sold don’t get me wrong they don’t have the feel my forged Nike have when hit sweet but who cares when you hitting greens lol .anyone else gone back to GI irons and thought wow ?also for a older set of irons the TaylorMade RSi have shocked me how well they performed it’ll also save me a few hundred quid which always is a bonus anyone got a set of RSi irons for sale lol

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree. Not that I've been there myself, but I often wonder why people get to a certain level and then ditch their bats for something that's harder to hit. As you say, golf can be hard, why not have clubs that are as forgiving as possible?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I agree. Not that I've been there myself, but I often wonder why people get to a certain level and then ditch their bats for something that's harder to hit. As you say, golf can be hard, why not have clubs that are as forgiving as possible?

Because I don't give a stuff about my handicap, and I like playing with blades. They look nice, and I have more of a sense of achievement when I play well with them than I do whacking it round with a set of shovels.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
well there's the normal reason that better playing irons are easier to shape the ball with. So good players, who will be striking the ball well most of the time anyway will get more out of mb than a GI club.

secondly better playing irons, especially forged irons give you much more feedback, so if you do mishit it you can pretty much tell where and how you mishit, not so much on the GI clubs.

There is an argument that playing with BP irons forces the user to learn a better swing, whereas GI users can get away with a poorer swing, though not sure how much credence I put in that.

Finally we are not professionals, we don't make money from playing golf. Some may enjoy themselves more by playing with a beautiful set of blades and enjoy the feeling of flushing those than hitting a big chunky GI iron.

I have GI iron that I have been using for years, but I want something that gives me a bit more flexibility in shot shaping and a lot more feedback, mine are so solid when you hit them to the point that you get very little feedback from the hands.

Also I hit the MP18 muscle backs, and oh my god, when you hit that pure it feels incredible

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Multiple reasons.

GI Irons are less workable.
GI Irons are suspect to low spinning shots, therefore giving inconsistent distances as well as less stopping distance into greens.
GI Irons don't feel as nice as 'Players' irons.
GI Irons don't look as nice (although this doesn't bother me, I go purely on performance).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In the 5 or 6 years since I started playing I reckon I can count on one hand the amount of players I've met who claim they can (and can actually) work the ball left and right.
Plus not many of them will be the mid-handicappers I figured we were talking about. I can see the logic for a 4 or lower handicapper switching to blades perhaps, but not really for people higher.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
In the 5 or 6 years since I started playing I reckon I can count on one hand the amount of players I've met who claim they can (and can actually) work the ball left and right.

It may not be moving left and right. Perhaps it is the ability to one or the other.

Or the ability to change the trajectory, which again is easier with players irons. My irons are quite difficult to hit low, you can do it. But if you try with a blade much easier to hit a low boring flight

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
It may not be moving left and right. Perhaps it is the ability to one or the other.

Or the ability to change the trajectory, which again is easier with players irons. My irons are quite difficult to hit low, you can do it. But if you try with a blade much easier to hit a low boring flight

I can thin my Ping G irons pretty low thank you very much 😂

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree with feel my forged pro combos are a beautiful iron and when you hit them well they feel soooo good but for me at the moment A GI will help me no end playing off 12 I’m not a hacker by any means But the help from a more forgiving iron will be welcomed and I think it will help me achieve my long term goal of
playing off a single figure digit handicap .

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have never had a recent spec GI iron that I am happy looking down on in the shorter irons and my consistency is about the same with either. My faults tend to be pushes and pulls rather than mi***** on the face.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think "some" gi irons actually make the game harder for some people.
I used a set of callaway big berthas and a set of Tm's for a few rounds a few years back and I didnt find them consitent distance wise at all.
Air mailed greens several times after getting a bit of a flier!! Also nearly impossible to hit low shots with them and they felt like I was hitting the ball with a brick on a stick!
Didnt do my game any favours at all.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Because I don't give a stuff about my handicap, and I like playing with blades. They look nice, and I have more of a sense of achievement when I play well with them than I do whacking it round with a set of shovels.

:thup:

Can't put it any better than that, except maybe the older the clubs the better.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Why do people run a marathon when a half marathon is easier
Why do people use a 2 wheeler bike when a 3 wheeler is easier
Why do people climb a high mountain when a lower mountain is easier

Some people just find it more fun.

No one is saying GI clubs are bad, they're just not for everyone

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can understand the issues raised in respect of SGI irons but quite frankly when you come down to clubs like the P790, AP3 (or even AP2) etc I don't see those factors being relevant.

Personal choice with a sprinkling of ego seems to cover it for most!

Last edited:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
i can move the ball both left and right

but not necessarily at will or at the correct moment in time

and therein lies the problem :thup:

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Plus not many of them will be the mid-handicappers I figured we were talking about. I can see the logic for a 4 or lower handicapper switching to blades perhaps, but not really for people higher.

It’s not left or right for me, it’s up or down. I play links golf and my two mates have GI irons. I’ve tried playing varying shots with theirs and it’s incredibly difficult to keep the ball down.

Which is understandable because GI irons are there to help people get the ball in the air.

Saying that, they are unpredictable, you get a lot of more ‘hot off the face’ shots from GI irons compared to players irons.

I play Mizuno MP54 irons, which are not blades, but they considered players irons.