GI irons?why make the game harder??

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s not left or right for me, it’s up or down. I play links golf and my two mates have GI irons. I’ve tried playing varying shots with theirs and it’s incredibly difficult to keep the ball down.

Which is understandable because GI irons are there to help people get the ball in the air.

Saying that, they are unpredictable, you get a lot of more ‘hot off the face’ shots from GI irons compared to players irons.

I play Mizuno MP54 irons, which are not blades, but they considered players irons.

The term "players irons" always makes me laugh :lol:

The RSI irons are lovely and worth picking up if you find a decent price OP

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Although I am in the “why make the game harder” camp I don’t see a great news here, it is possible you may find you come up against a wall with GI clubs. It may be a handicap, consistency or likely an enjoyment wall.

Playing with mid cavity clubs to blades can add to the enjoyment factor. If your sole goal is handicap reduction then a fitting for a new set is worth waiting and saving for.

If your after a quick fix then second hand GI clubs, as you suggested, may be the right path. It will bring consistency in contact but there will be a cost somehwere other than the money you hand over. It may be in length consistency, lack of feel or even lack of enjoyment. You won’t know till you choose a path.

Lessons are always my choice, I have mid cavities and play about 4-8 times a year. I go to a local par 3 in the summer and some years I get some lessons.

I know GI clubs would make things easier but I can’t justify the cost vs getting lessons and affording some rounds when I can. I also know the other cost would be enjoyment, I have hit GI clubs and know they don’t feel as nice to me but do bring improvements to my shot consistency.

If I was starting out without clubs it would be GI all day long but as I hav clubs already that I like then I will learn to hit what I have.

I know the clubs and I have it in us, I want to suceed togther.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s not left or right for me, it’s up or down. I play links golf and my two mates have GI irons. I’ve tried playing varying shots with theirs and it’s incredibly difficult to keep the ball down.

Which is understandable because GI irons are there to help people get the ball in the air.

Saying that, they are unpredictable, you get a lot of more ‘hot off the face’ shots from GI irons compared to players irons.

I play Mizuno MP54 irons, which are not blades, but they considered players irons.
Fair enough, trying to hit it lower has never been a desire of mine. Usually I have no problem hitting it low, but sadly that means I've thinned it again. :D

I'm never quite sure about people saying you get a hot/flyer type thing off GI clubs. I mean, I thought that just means you've hit it out the middle and they're meant to fly like that as that was the whole point of them.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Fair enough, trying to hit it lower has never been a desire of mine. Usually I have no problem hitting it low, but sadly that means I've thinned it again. :D

I'm never quite sure about people saying you get a hot/flyer type thing off GI clubs. I mean, I thought that just means you've hit it out the middle and they're meant to fly like that as that was the whole point of them.

People always say GI clubs are more forgiving as they give more consistent distance across the face. If you middle it and it goes 20 yards further than expected then that is not consistent distance across the face.

I had the Ping G irons which I did love, really easy to hit but I kept getting crazy long distances from nowhere and flying the green. It actually made me lose confidence in the irons as I was worried about it flying the green. I now have the Ping Ie1's which arent players irons but I havent had the same issue with them.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why wouldnt you want to maximise your enjoyment and scoring potential by using GI irons?
As for the feel arguemenmt......bunkem. Its the sound made that satisfies you. No one can "feel" hitting a eurathane or surlyn lump with a piece of metal on the end of around 36 inches of metal tube connected to a rubber grip.
Why is it manutactureres are starting to use different compound inserts in their irons the adjust the sound they make, and also why is it the worlds most popular wedges are cast?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
People always say GI clubs are more forgiving as they give more consistent distance across the face. If you middle it and it goes 20 yards further than expected then that is not consistent distance across the face.

I had the Ping G irons which I did love, really easy to hit but I kept getting crazy long distances from nowhere and flying the green. It actually made me lose confidence in the irons as I was worried about it flying the green. I now have the Ping Ie1's which arent players irons but I havent had the same issue with them.
Ok, fair enough if that was your experience. The goal is to minimise distance loss from off centre strikes, but they will never do that 100% so it will still go a bit further out of the middle surely? Personally this hasn't been a huge problem I've noticed with my Callaways. Maybe once or twice, but nowhere near enough for me to want to sacrifice the forgiveness they offer.

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So our past 2 club scratch champs play jpx825s and AP3s and play off 4 and 5 respectively. Playing blades or GI irons doesnt make you a better player, its what you prefer, suits you and what you're comfortable with.

I had MP60s and traded them in for some AP2s 2 years ago, best thing i ever did. Dropped 4 shots of HC and the added forgiveness for maybe 1% less feel was amazing. But AP2s are still classed as a "players" iron.

But on the other hand, i dont think I could play a SGI iron, i just do not like the look of them.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So our past 2 club scratch champs play jpx825s and AP3s and play off 4 and 5 respectively. Playing blades or GI irons doesnt make you a better player, its what you prefer, suits you and what you're comfortable with.

I had MP60s and traded them in for some AP2s 2 years ago, best thing i ever did. Dropped 4 shots of HC and the added forgiveness for maybe 1% less feel was amazing. But AP2s are still classed as a "players" iron.

But on the other hand, i dont think I could play a SGI iron, i just do not like the look of them.
Does that stand for super game improvement? If so I'm inclined to agree. When I did a little fitting session for my irons (more of a 'try a bunch of new irons' session), I had a few swings with the Ping G400s, and they looked absolutely enormous and didn't suit my eye at all. And their Gmax and 700 ranges are even bigger aren't they? I thought the Callaways looked a little more compact so they were much more preferable. As you say, it's what suits you, anything you can look down at behind the ball and feel confidence is the right club at the end of the day.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Multiple reasons.

GI Irons are less workable. - WRONG
GI Irons are suspect to low spinning shots, therefore giving inconsistent distances as well as less stopping distance into greens. - WRONG
GI Irons don't feel as nice as 'Players' irons. - WRONG
GI Irons don't look as nice (although this doesn't bother me, I go purely on performance). - MATTER OF OPINION

Oh dear.

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Multiple reasons.

GI Irons are less workable. - WRONG
GI Irons are suspect to low spinning shots, therefore giving inconsistent distances as well as less stopping distance into greens. - WRONG
GI Irons don't feel as nice as 'Players' irons. - WRONG
GI Irons don't look as nice (although this doesn't bother me, I go purely on performance). - MATTER OF OPINION.

Jacko, I actually think you're wrong on 2 of the points.

"GI Irons are suspect to low spinning shots...." This is actually true, look at any testing that has been done across youtube on GC quad, the majority of GI and SGI clubs on the market have jacked lofts that reduce spin numbers.

"Gi Irons Dont feel as nice as 'players' irons" - This is also a matter of opinion not a WRONG statement.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ok, fair enough if that was your experience. The goal is to minimise distance loss from off centre strikes, but they will never do that 100% so it will still go a bit further out of the middle surely? Personally this hasn't been a huge problem I've noticed with my Callaways. Maybe once or twice, but nowhere near enough for me to want to sacrifice the forgiveness they offer.

Yeah I think the issue is that there is a 'hotspot' which makes the ball fly off the face. So the difference in the 'middle' and the 'hotspot' was very large for me. Obviously I only found the hotspot a few times but when I did it was going 20 yards further than expected. So the issue was that yes, between an average middle strike and an off center hit they were brilliant. But that hotspot went so much further than normal it was a bit worrying.

I do still agree though that a lot of players would benefit from a set of GI irons but there are reasons why not to have them.

clarke_111

Medal Winner
Visit site
It is all really so much down to preference. Also the ‘players iron’ category is so wide now. My previous clubs were Ping iBlades - I now play off 9 (so not low but not awful) but I got them when I played off 15 and got down to 11 with them-so I was doing ok with them.

In the end I decided I wanted more forgiveness (and to be honest something longer) it was purely for personal preference though. I tried ping g’s and loved the long irons but the short irons just didn’t look good to my eyes, certainly didn’t help my scoring compared to iBlades (or hurt it really).

Ended up with the P790s which I like. They look good, but I wouldn’t say they were much less
Forgiving than the ping g’s bad shots are still bad shots. Perhaps I lose a few more yards out of a misstuck shot, but not convinced it is measurable really-certainly not in terms of my scoring.

Not saying that pure blades and SGI clubs are the same-but I think the middle ground is so big now and the difference between clubs is so small-just go for the one you like looking down on and which gives you confidence! Manufacturers love to tell us how a new club will make a huge difference but testing it is very hard indeed.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah I think the issue is that there is a 'hotspot' which makes the ball fly off the face. So the difference in the 'middle' and the 'hotspot' was very large for me. Obviously I only found the hotspot a few times but when I did it was going 20 yards further than expected. So the issue was that yes, between an average middle strike and an off center hit they were brilliant. But that hotspot went so much further than normal it was a bit worrying.

I do still agree though that a lot of players would benefit from a set of GI irons but there are reasons why not to have them.
Evidently my strike is not good enough to have this issue yet then. :D Maybe one day I'll start to see it.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Jacko, I actually think you're wrong on 2 of the points.

"GI Irons are suspect to low spinning shots...." This is actually true, look at any testing that has been done across youtube on GC quad, the majority of GI and SGI clubs on the market have jacked lofts that reduce spin numbers.

"Gi Irons Dont feel as nice as 'players' irons" - This is also a matter of opinion not a WRONG statement.

Do all cause "low spinning shots? No.

You hit any club out of the middle it feels amazing. So that is not a matter of opinion that is fact.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
For me, I went from a Ping G* to a Mizuno JPX. While the JPX can't be considered to be anywhere near a blade, it's a lot less forgiving than the Ping's. So the result ? Firstly I had to make better swings to get good results with the Mizzys, no bad thing. Distance wise, they are far more reliable. I had a period of hitting the Mizzy's poorly, a quick tweak had that sorted. Would I go back ? No chance.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
For me, I went from a Ping G* to a Mizuno JPX. While the JPX can't be considered to be anywhere near a blade, it's a lot less forgiving than the Ping's. So the result ? Firstly I had to make better swings to get good results with the Mizzys, no bad thing. Distance wise, they are far more reliable. I had a period of hitting the Mizzy's poorly, a quick tweak had that sorted. Would I go back ? No chance.
Really? I thought JPX's were known for being very forgiving as well. I thought that was their main selling point in fact. Unless you're on about the forged version.

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Do all cause "low spinning shots? No.

You hit any club out of the middle it feels amazing. So that is not a matter of opinion that is fact.

Yes they do, have a look through the tests, All GI irons spin less than "players" Irons. Its because of the lofts. Most GI 7 irons have 6 iron lofts, causing it to spin like a 6i which spins less than a conventionally lofted "players" 7i. Its a fact.

your second statement isnt true either. Ive hit GI irons and they feel clunky out of the middle, but when you pure a bladed mizuno tp9 its one of the greatest feelings ever. If you cant tell the difference between a GI cast iron and a forged "players" iron you havent hit the middle of a forged iron. But what feels good to you and I may be different.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Yes they do, have a look through the tests, All GI irons spin less than "players" Irons. Its because of the lofts. Most GI 7 irons have 6 iron lofts, causing it to spin like a 6i which spins less than a conventionally lofted "players" 7i. Its a fact.

your second statement isnt true either. Ive hit GI irons and they feel clunky out of the middle, but when you pure a bladed mizuno tp9 its one of the greatest feelings ever. If you cant tell the difference between a GI cast iron and a forged "players" iron you havent hit the middle of a forged iron.

Sure petal.