Gary Shipley - Golf Pro

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was at a driving range in the North East today, where I was approached by the above. After a discussion with him I got a good vibe from him and he gave me a drill to work on.
I understand that he has also taught down South as well.
So has anyone had an experience of his coaching, and if so what are your thoughts?

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was at a driving range in the North East today, where I was approached by the above. After a discussion with him I got a good vibe from him and he gave me a drill to work on.
So has anyone had an experience of his coaching, and if so what are your thoughts?

Had my first ever lesson with him. He's a real nice guy. His coaching methods are very simplistic and he's very much into positive thinking. I think he used to teach sports physiology too so I guess that's where that comes from.

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I he use to teach sports physiology. He was a tutor at Gateshead college.
I know a few lads who went there. They didn’t speak high of him

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
He used to work at the parklands range Gosforth Park few years back
When he left, there were many punters left with pre booked lessons in the book, paid for in advance, that they lost.......

Think he was attached to Whitley bay once upon a time too

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Why not just talk to him about him?

Far better gauge than tittle tattle on the internet.

I started seeing a new pro last year, I paid for one lesson up front to see how it went, I signed up for a block of five more before I left. You'll know yourself if he's the coach for you.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site

Never used Gary but the other lad who works from the teaching bay Ryan was good for me. He uses flightscope and records your swing using the HUDL app

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Had my first lesson from him today. He's very good & had me hitting the ball really well in 20 minutes. Sorting short game out next time, that'll be a challenge! Like the way he teaches, takes what you've got & works with it instead of trying to change everything. Most impressed.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Ok ManInblack, after your second lesson and beeming "the guy is a genius", tell us more....
In the first lesson he explained how the same fault of lining up was resulting in short irons going left & the others going right, straight pulls & pushes, something I didn't understand. In the second lesson today we covered the short game, my big weakness. It's fair to say that at the end of the lesson I hit half a dozen short pitches better & more consistently than I normally do. He also gave me a couple of drills do work on & said he guaranteed that my short game would improve.

Should be shooting my age any time soon.

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
He told me when I first met him he teaches the golfer and not a method.
Saw him last week at the range and had a brief chat with him. Will probably take the plunge.
Good to hear your feedback

I love this approach from a pro!
My Pro Michael Whitfield from knotty hill has a similar approach and realises every swing is different, every golfer is different. Which is a massive confidence boost. Also my pro has taught me a lot about the theories, ball flight laws, mechanics of the swing. So I only see him once a month now because a lot of the time I understand where I'm going wrong. The HUDL app works really well too.

Plus a lot of the time it's the 6 inches between the ears and good pro's realise this.

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In the first lesson he explained how the same fault of lining up was resulting in short irons going left & the others going right, straight pulls & pushes, something I didn't understand. In the second lesson today we covered the short game, my big weakness. It's fair to say that at the end of the lesson I hit half a dozen short pitches better & more consistently than I normally do. He also gave me a couple of drills do work on & said he guaranteed that my short game would improve.

Should be shooting my age any time soon.

Sounds like exactly my issue (the dispersion), any quick fix you could advise me to try after you’re lesson please Maninblack. Thanks.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Sounds like exactly my issue (the dispersion), any quick fix you could advise me to try after you’re lesson please Maninblack. Thanks.
The very obvious (now I've thought about it) practice to pick a spot around 6" to 12"in front of the ball, in line with the target & line the club up with this. Then move the feet so that they are parallel to the target line & bingo! Wouldn't care, I used to do this then got out of the habit.

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The very obvious (now I've thought about it) practice to pick a spot around 6" to 12"in front of the ball, in line with the target & line the club up with this. Then move the feet so that they are parallel to the target line & bingo! Wouldn't care, I used to do this then got out of the habit.

Thanks I’ll get out over the weekend hopefully and give it a try