Full Knee Replacement

TerryA

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all.
I had a full knee replacement done on Jan 9th. I was wondering if anyone else on the forum had had one done?
I can’t believe how painful it has been. The whole leg especially the thigh is so badly bruised it is inhibitting any possible bend.
I get the stitches removed today, so any idea from experience how long before I can bend it reasonably, how long before I can walk comfortably then how long before I can play again. I have been given estimates by the consultant but I’d like to know from any golfers their experiences so that I can set myself reasonable expectations.
Thanks, Terry

D

Deleted member 21258

Sorry Terry cant really help but you must be very early days, a couple of weeks. I know after a couple of weeks after having my gall bladder removed I still felt very bruised(and that must be nothing in comparison)

I really just wanted to wish you all the best on your recovery and hope your back walking and playing golf soon.:thup:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
An Aunt and an Uncle have both had knee replacements and they were hobbling around within a week or so.
I knackered my right knee in 2000 and had 3 separate operations on it in the space of 18 months. I was told I'd need knee replacement within 15 years.
Fortunately, and touching wood, rabbits feet and anything else, nearly 18 years on and it's fine...
I don't know if it's similar to hips but ChrisD has had both done and he's playing....well chasing a ball around a field more like..😂
Hope recovery goes well

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Terry, having worked in the mining industry for 36 yrs. I have seen more knee replacements than stars in the sky. A lot have had them done in there 40's upwards. In answer to your question. There isn't a definate answer. Everybody is differant, everybody responds differently. I have seen lads who have had the first knee done, it is brilliant, they have had the second knee done, and it's not so good. How's that supposed to happen. Think sometimes it is down to people's expectations. What I will say though is that listen to your physio. I have seen a guy who took short cuts with the physio as he was advised by his mate. He is now royally screwed. He plays golf now using his own personal " Benidorm Marge" buggy.
If there is any consolation, getting it done this time of the year and physio now is the best time to of had it done, by the time your physio is complete, the better weather will be here. Good luck and let us know how you are goin with it in a few months.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had an "Oxford" knee replacement 2 years ago next month and started playing golf again in the April. Back on the squash court after 3/4 months - and I'm on old git (thought I'd get that i before anyone else commented).

One thing that can't be emphasised enough, DO THE PHYSIO WORK that you are given, and then some more.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
DEpends entirely on exactly what the surgeon did because everyone is different - something like ....

Physio after 3 weeks, 6 weeks before weight bearing, 6 months before attempting golf swings/18 holes

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
One thing that can't be emphasised enough, DO THE PHYSIO WORK that you are given, and then some more.

A retired pal of mine had his second(other leg) full knee replacement done late last year, he was back playing 18 holes golf within 12 weeks. He was absolutely fastidious in his exercise regime.

Good luck

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I've got two mates who had both knees done. One did the physio religiously & walks around the course no bother at all. The other, an ex pro footballer, renowned for being a very poor trainer, neglected to do the physio properly & could only ride around on a buggy. Sadly no longer with us but an example of what happens if you don't do what they tell you.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
As already posted, it will depend on exactly what was done, to ma degree the lead up to it being done, your specific muscle fitness prior to the operation, how well the op went etc etc

The fastest route back to fitness now will be to do exactly what your physio advises....no more, no less. If you are serious in your approach the physio will realise and work with you better.
Generally people very quickly give up on the small precise exercises because they can't see instant results - or overdo the bigger exercises and suffer setbacks.

Good luck.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Based upon my mates experience - live through the pain of bending it or else scar tissue starts to form and stops you ever bending it fully.

I agree with Duncan do what the physio tells you.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lad at my club just had his done end of November he is back playing now.
He was a full international footballer and kept himself fit.
He has done everything the physio told him to do
One thing she stressed is try not to put on to much weight as your convalescing as this puts pressure on your leg.
He is a very good golfer ( or was) it will be interesting to see if he can get back to his four hcap.
good luck with the leg just do what your told!

Nickrat

Club Champion
Visit site
Had an "Oxford" knee replacement 2 years ago next month and started playing golf again in the April. Back on the squash court after 3/4 months - and I'm on old git (thought I'd get that i before anyone else commented).

I'm a Physio and it can really vary from person to person. I see a lot of people that don't bother doing their exercises 6-7 months after surgery and there knee is a mess ie hardly any flexion and they cant fully extend there knee. They then need another operation called a manipulation under anaesthetic to get things moving.

My advice is to do the exercises they recommended and if you have any concerns and are not currently under a physio go to your GP asap and get a referral.

TerryA

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all your comments.
I have been doing the straight leg lifts etc to get the muscle back in my thigh. What is hindering the bend is that the whole leg including the thigh is so badly bruised that the muscle won’t allow much bend. I am persevering though and am due to see the physio Wed - had the stitches removed today. Will keep you updated.
Terry

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry to hear of your knee op and hope you are back on the mend soon. I also recently damaged my knee, tearing the medial and collateral ligament and dislocating the knee. I didn’t listen to the physio and was very half hearted with the given exercises and now need a knee manipulation under anaesthetic to get full range of movement back.

Listen the the physio’s advice and do as much as you can whilst taking care of it. Good luck and hopefully you’ll be back swinging soon (in a golf manner I assure you)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Years ago when i was playing American football, I over extended my knee side ways and strained it. I struggled to bend my knee and had my leg straightened under anaesthetic. I had an arthroscopy in which they had a little play inside my knee and flushed and cleaned it out. I was on my buttocks for a couple of weeks. The muscle wastage in my leg/ thigh area was unbelievable. The old adage if you don't use it you will lose it, was very apt. It is these muscles in which you will need to build up.
Good luck me man.