Full differance or three quarters?

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
sorry I typed that wrong. In matchplay over here we give full shots (Head 2 Head) in a 4ball matchplay we only give 3/4's. Where is Brendy when we need him.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm late to this, sorry.

Full h'cap on Matchplay....hmm....yes....be ok between close h'caps, wouldn't fancy my chances against a cat 4 player.

When I played a lot of matchplay, the players might as well just give away the SI 1,2,3 holes straight away. The better player is desperate to make par and rarely does, the player with the shot just plays for a bogey. The matches were generally decided on the nice par 4s and par 3s where there were no strokes either way.

If you go full h'cap it's just going to extend the amount of holes where the result is close to already decided.

This is my experience of 5-15 type players, not the higher h'cap ones....could help them a great deal I guess.

Dave

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Furyk-or-unique the matter was debated at the AGM where 90%of members attended and all including the high handicappers agreed with the proposal-it was initally approved for the 2006 matchplay and kept in operation for 2007 and 2008.

None of the high handicappers objected-they felt getting two shots on a hole in matchplay was a bit much.
In fairness to the low handicapper he has won the Matchplay under both systems-he also won the Golfer of the Year title twice.

DCB

Visit site
We've been using it for a few years (full difference) so we're probably used to it by now.

What does nark me though is giving someone 2 strokes on a hole. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it just doesn't seem right that you have to get a birdie to be in with the chance of halfing the hole against opponents bogie.

Och it's only a game.............Aye Right!