Foursomes - yes or no?

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Definitely best avoided, really struggle to get any sort of rhythm, would prefer greensomes, or Canadian greensomes, and certainly wouldn't play it on a green fee.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great idea is this (y)(y)how do you sort H/caps??

You just score all as stableford, and use the prescribed stroke play handicap allowances for each against the SI of the holes played - it's not at all complicated ie 90% for each player for the BB section, 50% combined for the foursomes section and 60% lower + 40% higher for the greensomes.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just to clarify folks - I'm not suggesting this as a permanent alternative to 'normal' formats. Very occasionally and particularly in the Winter suits it well.

We have a Winter series at our club running the last Sunday of every month between October-March. Sign-up sheet with a random draw made to select the pairings - each pair to comprise of a high handicapper (above 15) and a low (less than 15 to include scratch and even + in some cases) Multi-tee start so everyone gets in around the same time with a prizes presentation and an excellent Pro's raffle.

It's always oversubscribed and invariably great craic. Highlight in the clubhouse is after the main placing prizes comes the 'special prize' which involves the worst-scoring pair taking the walk of shame to be presented with a low quality ball each. Also it's very definitely not a good day to make an Ace either by the way.

It's a brilliant way to meet people (particularly for new members) as you invariably end up playing with someone that you would never normally play with, and as others have said, the format presents plenty of pressure (see #61). Who wants to chunk it into a lake or ditch from the middle of the fairway after your partner has played a cracking shot to set up for an approach wedge to leave a birdie - or what about missing a six-inch tap-in after they have nearly holed the first putt from 30 yards.

It might be 'half a game' but it's a full round of concentration and a really hard format to play well. Go on... give it a crack and see.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21258

Only played it once on an adult/junior comp, but would not ever choose to play foursomes myself.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I like the format, but have been quite succsessful playing it. Always, teamed up with the wife and we just seem to be able to keep it together. Can totally understand why some people hate it, for me, it's not only a challenge of golf, but patience as well. Defo only for competitions though, would not want to play it socially.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Love it, it's different to the norm. Don't play it that often, but entered the Surrey Mixed Foursomes event with my regular 4ball partner who plays off 3 and really enjoy the format. We're both pretty dependable and don't make many mistakes so quite a good pairing.

Wouldn't want to play it every week but when I do play it I really enjoy it.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
We have 2 competitions a year that are 4somes. That is enough to be fun. There is also a 4somes winter knock out which I do not participate in.

In addition, we have a Sat, Sun, following Sat comp of 4somes, greensomes, better ball in July. If you are not in it, you don't play. Given it is a 3 day comp, the pressure on day 1 to not mess it up is massive. It is the most subscribed comp of the year, open to men, ladies, and mixed teams. The format is just brilliant.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have 2 competitions a year that are 4somes. That is enough to be fun. There is also a 4somes winter knock out which I do not participate in.
We have two as well. Club foursomes over 36 holes on one day and the Famous Grouse which represents the re-opening of the full course once Royal Ascot racing is over. I won't be in either. I may play the annual greensomes event at a push