Foursomes - yes or no?

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
About a year ago I signed up to play this by mistake not realising what it was, vowed never to play it again. Took about 4 hours for half a game of golf.

D

Deleted member 18588

As an occasional game, say 5 or 6 times a year, I think it's very enjoyable.

Never mind al this half a game stuff, it's just a different form of golf.

Playing from positions that may not be usual for you, bit of pressure to not let down your partner. Great fun.

And how foursomes could ever take four hours is completely beyond me.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
As an occasional game, say 5 or 6 times a year, I think it's very enjoyable.

Never mind al this half a game stuff, it's just a different form of golf.

Playing from positions that may not be usual for you, bit of pressure to not let down your partner. Great fun.

And how foursomes could ever take four hours is completely beyond me.
This exactly.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
No from me for both foursomes and greensomes, I can play 3/4 times a week if I wish but I would still prefer not to play theses formats, it also seems to me that you only get to play half a game,could add Texas scrambles into the mix as well.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I enjoy it, we play in a couple of foursomes competitions each year, one is a mixed knockout for clubs around Manchester and the other is a Lancashire Ladies competition. It can be a challenge and it helps to have a regular partner so you don't feel too bad if you have an off day. We also play greensomes at the club, a poor mans foursomes.

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Well... I happen to love this format! The "half a game" moaners Im sure are all Ryder cup fans no? and what great theatre it is... I've been playing for decades, won't stop playing bounce games,ties or just a few holes after work any time soon.....any golf!..so I ask... what's not to like about pairing up with a pal and throwing the dice on where you have to play your next shot,can you scrape a half? What about when you hit it stuff and your best mate just nods and winks as you go one up without him putting after you trashed the last hole? You'll play next week, next month, next year and no one cares, I love it and half a game is better than none 😎

Visit site
Love the challange of foursomes, course strategy, playing to each other's strengths. I've been in 6 finals at 3 different clubs and won all of them winning 3 on the bounce at one, a double at another and last win was 3yrs ago.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Nah not for me
I can see the appeal it gives and under limited circumstances I could even be persuaded but not a hope if it replaced my once a week game

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have two foresomes medal events each year. Which is perfect - it's something different but spaced out enough to make it work. You need to have a partner of similar abilities and personality. So every six months, love it.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Well... I happen to love this format! The "half a game" moaners Im sure are all Ryder cup fans no? and what great theatre it is... I've been playing for decades, won't stop playing bounce games,ties or just a few holes after work any time soon.....any golf!..so I ask... what's not to like about pairing up with a pal and throwing the dice on where you have to play your next shot,can you scrape a half? What about when you hit it stuff and your best mate just nods and winks as you go one up without him putting after you trashed the last hole? You'll play next week, next month, next year and no one cares, I love it and half a game is better than none 😎

It's one thing watching it on the Ryder Cup, quite another hacking your partners errant tee shot out of the cack for the 4th hole, not having a meaningful putt for half the match, being expected to play a sublime chip to save the hole when hes just duffed one. Also, ours is done with partners been drawn together, so it's likely that none of the 4 play normally together so arranging matches is a nightmare - not for me thanks, and thats even given thst my name is on the honours board for winning it some years back.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like this format but I have a lot of mates in our group who won’t touch it with a barge pole.

Most common reason cited for not playing it: ‘Nah, it’s just half a game.’

Where do you stand?
Can’t stand it. I purposely stay away from team golf in our area because it’s this format. I worked out last time I played that I hit (excluding putts), 18 shots.

Greensomes on the other hand - great format

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have two foresomes medal events each year. Which is perfect - it's something different but spaced out enough to make it work. You need to have a partner of similar abilities and personality. So every six months, love it.

I echo the partner thing.. if I was playing with a few people in my society would have been more enjoyable but got someone who whilst we won made it really not fun.. didn’t understand tactics side

Like I said when we were completely out the first hole.. give them the Putt .. don’t let them get the feeling .. he made them putt (3 putt for the win of the hole.. pointless)

When we won on 17 , par 3 with water in front.. I said just lay up to water I’ll chip on

He went for it... topped it.. luckily short of the water! So I chipped on like I suggested

Wasn’t enjoyable to be put in worst positions than I normally put myself 😂