Foursomes - yes or no?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Never, never, never
One of the reasons I hate foursomes is because I was traumatized at an early age. I got the opportunity to play at Muirfield for my employer against a team captained by Sir Lawrie Barratt. We had the choice of singles or foursomes, no fourballs allowed. Sir L decreed foursomes because it was "a more social game". I was paired with a 25 handicapper, playing badly. Zero enjoyment ensued, I was wishing that I wasn't there. The first, & likely last, time I had of playing the course.

DCB

Visit site
Used to really enjoy this format. I played with the same partner for over 25years, we knew each others game inside out and really played well as a pairing. It is a very sociable game and can be played relatively quickly if you set your mind to it. One of the things I miss these days..

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As an occasional game, say 5 or 6 times a year, I think it's very enjoyable.

Never mind al this half a game stuff, it's just a different form of golf.

Playing from positions that may not be usual for you, bit of pressure to not let down your partner. Great fun.

And how foursomes could ever take four hours is completely beyond me.

Yup, this.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I enjoy it and greensome but only as an occasional game.

My preferred 'different' format is 6,6,6

First 6 better ball
Second 6 greensome
Last 6 foursome

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well... I happen to love this format! The "half a game" moaners Im sure are all Ryder cup fans no? and what great theatre it is... I've been playing for decades, won't stop playing bounce games,ties or just a few holes after work any time soon.....any golf!..so I ask... what's not to like about pairing up with a pal and throwing the dice on where you have to play your next shot,can you scrape a half? What about when you hit it stuff and your best mate just nods and winks as you go one up without him putting after you trashed the last hole? You'll play next week, next month, next year and no one cares, I love it and half a game is better than none 😎
^^^^^^ this is it in a nut-shell
I quite enjoy it personally, sorts the men from the boys;)
& this is so very. very true.....
Might add that you CERTAINLY have to pick your own partner.... the idea of a 'Ball draw' would keep me out.... but not the formats.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I enjoy it but the caveat is that it should be part of a competition or event where others are playing foursomes so you can rattle round the course quickly. Slow foursomes is tedious.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Love foursomes but admittedly only play about 6 rounds a year. Playing it week in week out would be a very different feeling. Very good test of golf

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great idea is this (y)(y)how do you sort H/caps??

I have never organised one myself but if I did I would go with the greensome method 60% for the higher handicap and 40% of the lower handicap and apply best gross to the better ball. Slightly unfair to the higher handicap in the better ball so made need a bit of fudging.

Fore Right!

Visit site
occasional game as can be very sociable and quick plus you get to put play in some different parts of home course. Ideal for winter competition

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Great format for winter golf. Used to play interclub matches late Autumn or early spring and it was a great way to play some golf and not be out too long.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
The format always scares me a little bit and I feel a bit more pressure than when I play on my own or in a better ball comp. Nothing feels worse than when you partner has set you up in a perfect position and then you just fat or top your shot into a water hazard. So I need to know that my partner is relaxed and forgiving enough to accept that bad shots can and will happen during a round. But if I play with someone who stays relaxed and supportive during the round, it can be a lot of fun.

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i love to play the occasional foursome competition. play would run more swiftly if everyone on the course played it

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Played it yesterday for the second time representing the club.

Last year I was nearly shaking teeing off on the first. This year as a veteran ( haha) I was completely at ease in terms of playing but obviously felt the pressure of competition.

Knowing that one bad shot could cost us dearly is a very real pressure and it does find people out.

We talked tactics before hand and decided I would tee off on evens as I could avoid hitting 4 of the 5 par 3s. This ment I didn't have to hit any of my poor irons and my better short game could be utilized. 1 under for the par 3 ment this was the right call.

My driving of late has been great. Not long but in play with a fade all day. This made our 2nd shots a lot easier as I hit the majority of par 4 tee shots.

We did have to dig deep coming in and was a great buzz watching the rest finishing up and finally finding out we qualified by a shot.

Bloody great day out.

Admittedly I havnt bothered with the format in our club comps this year. Playing in the pairs along with other things I have a enough going on.