Footpaths and rights of way

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've been noticing a few courses that are on common ground or have footpaths crossing them..
Does this cause problems..?
How many footpaths are on your course.?

We have a couple of footpaths at the Zoo which go all the way across the course. Walkers have right of way.
As we are fairly out in the middle of nowhere, we don't get that many walkers and they're quickly onto the next hole which, by and large, is almost impossible to get to from the tee.
So no great upset for us...

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
We have a bridle path that runs down the side of 8 that then crosses in front of 12, and then goes up 15. It also crosses the 4th fairway.

See a few walkers and riders, but only ever been held up on 12. Fortunately you can just see the riders before you hit your tee shot. Never seen anyone walking on the 4th, as the path is not obvious.:whistle:

When I first joined the club you got trial bikes on the paths, but not seen or heard any for years now. Walkers, riders all very friendly, and generally seem to know the danger they are in. I wouldn’t walk 45 degrees to my right.:eek:

Digger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have a couple of footpaths well used by dog walkers. Not a problem in itself. The problem arises when they decide to let their dogs run free! :sbox:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We have a couple of footpaths well used by dog walkers. Not a problem in itself. The problem arises when they decide to let their dogs run free! :sbox:

Last summer I was out really early doors and a woman was walking her Springer spaniel. I saw the dog first...charging across the fairway chasing this squirrel that resembled a Bat out of Hell...
Squirrel found a tree and escaped.
Dog singles back to find Mum, sees pheasant and the whole thing starts again.
The pheasant, being terminally thick just runs, forgetting it's a bird until the dog is 3 feet away and then flies off...
Dog looks peeved, singles back to Mum again and off they go across the course.
Quality entertainment as I'm walking to my ball...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
we have two crossing the course as do a few other links courses up here. laws different in Scotland.. they all think they can go where they like... Walkers that is.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
we have two crossing the course as do a few other links courses up here. laws different in Scotland.. they all think they can go where they like... Walkers that is.

This.
Plus one bloke and his wife who are flat out stupid, who think it is their god given right to walk randomely all over the golf course, despite warnings. They just think its fine to trespass all over the place.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Playing on Wimbledon Common was a challenge as public had the right of way and most knew it and some would deliberately meander as slowly as possible down a hole as they knew golfers were waiting. That said, the majority were pretty considerate. The same applied when Royal Ascot was inside the racecourse with many footpaths crossing the course. Was it worth it? At the time yes but I'm not sure I'd want to repeat it again on a regular basis

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
A chalk based course I visit when it’s soggy at my own course has a path through the middle, that leads from a crappy estate to a Tesco.

Problems arise. I’ve seen people stop for a chat. Players wait a little, then a shout. If they don’t move they tend to get a ball flying at them.

Tee’d off on a hole with a path running parallel to be greeted by a family having a picnic... On the fairway. Shouted, swore. No movement. Balls fired.
(Course mentioned is in a crime ridden area)

Balls stolen by little runts.

Dog walkers across the course. (Why would you? I’d hate myself if I was walking my dog on a golf course and it was hit, or if I hit a dog).

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There is one that crosses Queens Park in Bournemouth that is dip, as you come down the fairway you have no idea if anyone is traversing it. Apparently it's also not unheard of to find people having picnics in the middle of fairway too.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A chalk based course I visit when it’s soggy at my own course has a path through the middle, that leads from a crappy estate to a Tesco.

Problems arise. I’ve seen people stop for a chat. Players wait a little, then a shout. If they don’t move they tend to get a ball flying at them.

Tee’d off on a hole with a path running parallel to be greeted by a family having a picnic... On the fairway. Shouted, swore. No movement. Balls fired.
(Course mentioned is in a crime ridden area)

Balls stolen by little runts.

Dog walkers across the course. (Why would you? I’d hate myself if I was walking my dog on a golf course and it was hit, or if I hit a dog).

Had people having a picnic on the bank of the first at Wimbledon Common with their little treasures playing football on such lovely short grass.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thames Ditton and Esher is right between the town and the railway station, it always has someone walking across and down the fairways. I was just about to tee off on the 4th when out of the corner of my eye I saw a movement, it was someone walking towards the station. They just carried on and I had to wait several minutes before they got out of range.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thames Ditton and Esher is right between the town and the railway station, it always has someone walking across and down the fairways. I was just about to tee off on the 4th when out of the corner of my eye I saw a movement, it was someone walking towards the station. They just carried on and I had to wait several minutes before they got out of range.

Not my favourite course and definitely one that takes some getting use to, even without the public

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I like to play at a little pitch and putt in nottingham when I can. One of the last holes is uphill to a green you can just see the flag on, smashed it up there and started in the hill to find two girls sat having a chat on the green about 3-4 ft away from where my golf ball landed!!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
At Hankley Common for H4H we were on a tee and just about blast off when we could hear an approaching horse cantering along. The horse and rider came from behind and just carried on totally oblivious to us. Strangely, she had a 2nd horse on reins galloping with her but I guessed that it's always good to carry a spare just in case of breakdown.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
It'd be OKish of they had any sort of awareness or consideration that people are playing golf.

Classic example was at (I think) Scotscraig where a path emerges from trees and crosses the course about 30 yards in front of the red tee. I was just about to hit my shot when a darwin contender came straight out. A few seconds later and he could have been getting a golf ball in the head at 100+ mph. I had no idea there was even a path there! (Turns out there was a warning sign cunningly positioned back on the "men's" tee)