Flag in....

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Played in a friend's swindle at the weekend, one chap had a putt of about 15 feet and asked me to tend the flag, I told no and that I'd happily take it out or he can leave it in, but I'm not wasting time with something thats not needed anymore. After that he sulked and his round went to pot. I think he blamed me ?? seriously, who would ask anyone to tend flag these days. I mean the place even had the flag sticks with the extra skinny bottoms!!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played in a friend's swindle at the weekend, one chap had a putt of about 15 feet and asked me to tend the flag, I told no and that I'd happily take it out or he can leave it in, but I'm not wasting time with something thats not needed anymore. After that he sulked and his round went to pot. I think he blamed me ?? seriously, who would ask anyone to tend flag these days. I mean the place even had the flag sticks with the extra skinny bottoms!!
Many believe that the stick will cause the ball to be deflected out. Many others don't.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I doubt if you will be playing in your friends swindle again.

D

Deleted member 31467

Yep, it's the other guy's choice to have it tended or not. Doesn't matter if you agree or disagree, put yourself in the other person's shoes. Would you like it if he did it to you?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I sometimes ask for the flag to be attended when I cannot see the hole from where I am putting.

I virtually always putt with the flag out as do several of the players I pay with regularly.

Your refusal to do it may be construed by some a serious breach I certainly would consider it poor etiquette is somebody refused when asked by me.

(1) Player May Have Flagstick Removed from Hole. The player may make a stroke with the flagstick removed from the hole, so that his or her ball in motion will not hit the flagstick in the hole.
The player must decide this before making the stroke, by either:
• Authorizing someone to attend the flagstick,

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I haven't tended a flag for a very long time. No one has asked for it since restrictions were lifted for sure.

I am noticing that more people are wanting it out again this season. After 2-3 years of keeping it in it does drag but it isn't a huge deal. Personally I leave it in but if someone wants it out I don't care enough to do an in and out dance

D

Deleted member 15344

Surely it’s just good manners to tend the flag if that’s what the player wants ?

Not everyone wants to putt with the flag in

Have tended the flag a number of times if asked - it’s just polite

Think it says more about the person refusing than anything else

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I sometimes ask for the flag to be attended when I cannot see the hole from where I am putting.

I virtually always putt with the flag out as do several of the players I pay with regularly.

Your refusal to do it may be construed by some a serious breach I certainly would consider it poor etiquette is somebody refused when asked by me.

(1) Player May Have Flagstick Removed from Hole. The player may make a stroke with the flagstick removed from the hole, so that his or her ball in motion will not hit the flagstick in the hole.
The player must decide this before making the stroke, by either:
• Authorizing someone to attend the flagstick,

Authorizing doesn’t mean you can order someone to do something.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Have not already flogged this dead horse?

Virtually never happens at my place but if it did I would attend the flag, take the piss (in a bounce game) and probably not have to do it again.

In a comp, I would do whatever was asked of me.
As I mentioned in another thread....

Is the correct answer...and the only one.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
It’s not as bad as the people who take the flag out to read a putt then put it back in to putt.

Wow, I've never seen that. Would drive me nuts. As does 10 minutes of aim-point every putt:eek:

Regardless of "Old ways" having it tended is allowed. So if someone asks for it, refusing just seems rude.

It wouldn't put me off my game, but it wouldn't encourage me to putt my name down with that person in future :geek:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
We played at the weekend and, on long putts, we tended the flags. On one of the holes, my playing partner slammed in one from the edge of the green, and we both agreed that if the pin had been in, it would have bounced off it and away.
IMO, to refuse is bad manners. Just because you don't want to do it, doesn't mean you can't do it for someone who does. What was the point of refusing, apart from being contrary?
Our club also has the flagpoles with the extra thin carbon-fibre bottom, but I would still take it out if someone asked me to.

Last edited:

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Out of order.

Whether a pp asks me to tend the flag, remove it, mark my ball that’s not in the way, stand adjacent on the tee box, try to keep an eye on their ball in-flight etc, I’ll do it out of courtesy, respect and ultimately just being nice and normal.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Out of order.

Whether a pp asks me to tend the flag, remove it, mark my ball that’s not in the way, stand adjacent on the tee box, try to keep an eye on their ball in-flight etc, I’ll do it out of courtesy, respect and ultimately just being nice and normal.
Lot of correct answers on this thread....