Flag in....

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
And so dear OP…you are putting and the flag is out but your playing companion has placed it on the green maybe 12ft behind the hole and lying across your line of putt extended past the hole. You don’t like it there as it’s in your line of sight and ask it to be moved. Your playing companion refuses to do so on the grounds that it wouldn't bother him and as it is well away from the hole what are you worried about. What would you think?

To original question, of course you attend the flag as requested and you do so without question.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
And so dear OP…you are putting and the flag is out but your playing companion has placed it on the green maybe 12ft behind the hole and lying across your line of putt extended past the hole. You don’t like it there as it’s in your line of sight and ask it to be moved. Your playing companion refuses to do so on the grounds that it wouldn't bother him and as it is well away from the hole what are you worried about. What would you think?

To original question, of course you attend the flag as requested and you do so without question.
Who leaves the flag in stupid places ? No one I play with thats for sure.
Anyone who asks for the flag to be tended is just being awkward and is best ignored. Like I said I was shocked that anyone would still ask.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wow, I've never seen that. Would drive me nuts. As does 10 minutes of aim-point every putt:eek:

Regardless of "Old ways" having it tended is allowed. So if someone asks for it, refusing just seems rude.

It wouldn't put me off my game, but it wouldn't encourage me to putt my name down with that person in future :geek:

who is taking 10 minutes to do aimpoint?! 10 seconds max for a long putt. Anything within the 10/15 ft is half that.

maxy33

Visit site
Played in a friend's swindle at the weekend, one chap had a putt of about 15 feet and asked me to tend the flag, I told no and that I'd happily take it out or he can leave it in, but I'm not wasting time with something thats not needed anymore. After that he sulked and his round went to pot. I think he blamed me ?? seriously, who would ask anyone to tend flag these days. I mean the place even had the flag sticks with the extra skinny bottoms!!

It would be no hassle for you to do it, and plenty of reasons why he may want it done rather than in / out!

I'm sure you'll not be missed in future games with them.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It does seem weird to refuse to tend it, there's other ways that could’ve been handled other than refusal
It also seems weird to ask for the flag to be tended on a putt of about 6 steps in length (that must be one hilly green!)

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I haven't tended a flag for a very long time. No one has asked for it since restrictions were lifted for sure.

I am noticing that more people are wanting it out again this season. After 2-3 years of keeping it in it does drag but it isn't a huge deal. Personally I leave it in but if someone wants it out I don't care enough to do an in and out dance
^^^That's me. Prefer it in, but once someone takes it out I get on with it. Haven't tended since covid started, folks seem happy with in or out, but as others have said, it's the player's choice

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Who leaves the flag in stupid places ? No one I play with thats for sure.
Anyone who asks for the flag to be tended is just being awkward and is best ignored. Like I said I was shocked that anyone would still ask.
Wooosh. There are many things that some people do and say that they think ok, when others might not think likewise. Nothing awkward about asking, just one person having a different view on what is preferable, plenty awkward about refusing…?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Unless the player was putting up a tier in the green or they were almost blind I can’t see how they would need to have a flag tended from 15ft.

But sulking afterwards and blaming that on your round going to pot is pathetic.

I suspect they just didn’t like an outsider playing in their swindle.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Unless the player was putting up a tier in the green or they were almost blind I can’t see how they would need to have a flag tended from 15ft.

But sulking afterwards and blaming that on your round going to pot is pathetic.

I suspect they just didn’t like an outsider playing in their swindle.
Whether a player needs the flag in/out/attended is not for anyone to judge - it is simply the choice of the player about to putt - and without comment we should simply fully respect that choice and any subsequent request made to us.

D-S

Visit site
I remember playing a match, before the new rule, where my opponent had me tend the flag for all his putts except absolute tap ins. Tending the flag from 6 feet is really irritating and apparently he regularly did this as it niggled opponents and gave them a lot less time to concentrate on their own putts and upset their routine. The sort of petty gamesmanship that people who can’t win through their own golf are apt to use.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I remember playing a match, before the new rule, where my opponent had me tend the flag for all his putts except absolute tap ins. Tending the flag from 6 feet is really irritating and apparently he regularly did this as it niggled opponents and gave them a lot less time to concentrate on their own putts and upset their routine. The sort of petty gamesmanship that people who can’t win through their own golf are apt to use.
Hmm, must remember that as a tactic! ;)