Flag in / flag out debate

King Julian

Visit site
One of my playing companions on Sunday had flag attended a couple of times. How odd I thought. His rationale was simple though. He was a good way from the hole so didn’t want it out when putting, but didn’t want it in when his ball got to the hole. Our flagsticks taper, but they are still fairly chunky towards the bottom and he didn’t want to risk his ball strinking the flag stick and bouncing out. We had no issue tending the flag for him and it didn’t noticeably delay things.
King Julian was asked to tend a flag, as soon as mort hit the putt king Julian walked away as it was never making it to the hole.this is how King julian always does it. King julian thinks those who ask for the flag to be attended are awkward so and so's

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of my playing companions on Sunday had flag attended a couple of times. How odd I thought. His rationale was simple though. He was a good way from the hole so didn’t want it out when putting, but didn’t want it in when his ball got to the hole. Our flagsticks taper, but they are still fairly chunky towards the bottom and he didn’t want to risk his ball strinking the flag stick and bouncing out. We had no issue tending the flag for him and it didn’t noticeably delay things.
I wonder what the percentage chance is of the flagstick keeping his ball out of the hole on a 30, 40 foot putt. Must be infinitesimally small. I'm not bothered if people want the flag in or out really, but if anyone asked me to attend the flag now I'd probably have a good laugh. That should be obsolete really.

D

Deleted member 31467

Indeed. So the best course is never to remove it.
Our course manager is convinced there is more damage to the holes with people trying to retrieve their ball with the flagstick in. I'm inclined to believe him.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I wonder what the percentage chance is of the flagstick keeping his ball out of the hole on a 30, 40 foot putt. Must be infinitesimally small. I'm not bothered if people want the flag in or out really, but if anyone asked me to attend the flag now I'd probably have a good laugh. That should be obsolete really.
But would you do it, and do it willingly and without comment. We did. Respect for other player. Simple.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our course manager is convinced there is more damage to the holes with people trying to retrieve their ball with the flagstick in. I'm inclined to believe him.
If there is an issue, and as ours are rather tight fit, I might lift the flag out with one hand to retrieve my ball with the other (mostly I don’t).

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not to heck with them. But they need to move to be more flexible themselves and get over such irrational hangups. For the benefit of everyone, rather than just the individual.
Golf is an individual sport and I will always do what’s best for me.
as long as it’s within the rules.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good for you.
its within the rules and he has every right to his choice.
and nobody should tell him he can’t have it attended, it’s just a courtesy.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But it’s not obsolete.
it’s a choice within the rules.
if asked I would just attend the flag no problem.

RichA

Visit site
But it’s not obsolete.
it’s a choice within the rules.
if asked I would just attend the flag no problem.
In addition to their caddy, it's also a player's choice within the rules to have separate staff to carry their umbrella, rain suit, food and drink.
Just because you can, it doesn't mean you should.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In addition to their caddy, it's also a player's choice within the rules to have separate staff to carry their umbrella, rain suit, food and drink.
Just because you can, it doesn't mean you should.
I thought you can only have one caddy.
but if that’s the rule so be it.

if you can , and it suits you , you just do it.
I am playing against the field ,if I think taking the flag out,in,attended helps me I will do it.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Now that would be time-wasting. 🤣
I suppose, but contrary to having the pin in  or out, having it tended actually does delay play and put someone else out into the bargain.
How does it delay play?

The attender either puts the flag back in (or not) when the ball stops rolling - with the player still to play again - or immediately after the player picks the ball out of the hole. I don't see how either slows down play.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suppose, but contrary to having the pin in  or out, having it tended actually does delay play and put someone else out into the bargain.
Puts someone out really???
a player is entitled to have the pin attended if he so chooses.
it’s not up to us to say what another player should do!