Flag in / flag out debate

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lots of people on here claim that aimpoint doesn't take long but it's painful to watch on the pro tours.

It doesn’t take long, especially at the amateur level we play at.
The pros can take their time a bit more, seeing as the putts they hit could make or lose them thousands of dollars

D

Deleted member 31467

It doesn’t take long, especially at the amateur level we play at.
The pros can take their time a bit more, seeing as the putts they hit could make or lose them thousands of dollars
I can only go on what I've witnessed and it slows down play in my experience.

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
Not seen anyone do the fingers but a few at my place do the feet bit. And just like most aspects of slow play, the ones that slow down play are the ones that don’t use common sense by getting it done (where possible) before their turn to play.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not seen anyone do the fingers but a few at my place do the feet bit. And just like most aspects of slow play, the ones that slow down play are the ones that don’t use common sense by getting it done (where possible) before their turn to play.
Surely you have to do the fingers as well as the feet.??
Don't you?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Surely you have to do the fingers as well as the feet.??
Don't you?
You mean that thing that has him stand astride the straight line to the hole and deciding it feels like a three finger slope, and then sighting to the hole holding his hand up and picking a spot three fingers width to the borrow side of the hole. But I don’t really get the accuracy of the initial slope assessment.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You mean that thing that has him stand astride the straight line to the hole and deciding it feels like a three finger slope, and then sighting to the hole holding his hand up and picking a spot three fingers width to the borrow side of the hole. But I don’t really get the accuracy of the initial slope assessment.
That's my understanding of it..
Work out the %age slope with your feet and then use 1,2 or 3 or more fingers to find your aim point....one without the other doesn't make much sense.....
I could, of course, be completely wrong....

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Work out the %age slope with your feet and then use 1,2 or 3 or more fingers to find your aim point....one without the other doesn't make much sense.....
Fella I was playing with couple of weekends ago did the ‘standing astride’ bit, edging towards, then almost over, the hole, but didn’t do the fingers bit. He still did a bit of looking down the line as well.

If I can’t work out the borrow looking down the line, I go to other side and look at it. Always sorts things for me. But I’ll try and do that before it’s my turn to putt.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After a few years you kinda get used to what the various 'aimpoints' are, and can judge it for yourself without 'the fingers'.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And then miss the putt anyway

I mean, ultimately, outside of 8ft, everyone miss more than they make. Maybe even a shorter distance than that. However, if my 2nd putt is 2ft rather than 5ft as I misread a slope slightly, the system has worked a treat.

For me, Aimpoint Express is a whole load quicker than trying to decipher various slopes, or walking round a putt and seeing it from multiple angles. It also gives me a clear place to focus my aim on, rather then second guessing myself all the time.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't get how people think they can accurately perceive a slope with their feet better than they can with their eyes.

Similarly, I don't get how people can write off Aimpoint as utter hogwash without having actually been to a session and learnt about it properly from an Aimpoint instructor.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't get how people think they can accurately perceive a slope with their feet better than they can with their eyes.
I'm one of them. I don't know why but I just don't see breaks that are obvious to other people. I've had putting lessons where I hit a putt and have clearly seen the reality of the break, but when I look I just don't see it. Even if I'm virtually lying on the ground, just don't see it.

So I started Aimpoint Express'ing. I haven't had a proper lesson in it, but I did lots of reading about it so I think I know enough about it to do it well enough. Do I always get the break perfectly? No of course not, but then no one else using any green-reading method always reads the breaks perfectly. But do I get the breaks better than I did before - yes, definitely.

It really doesn't take much time. As far as I'm concerned it's certainly quicker than stalking round the hole "seeing" the breaks from different angles. Slow golfers doing aimpoint are slow, but the aimpoint bit is irrelevant in the pace of play debate - golfers have to read the green somehow, and the slow one are slow. Doesn't matter what technique is used or not used. Faffers gonna faf.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm one of them. I don't know why but I just don't see breaks that are obvious to other people. I've had putting lessons where I hit a putt and have clearly seen the reality of the break, but when I look I just don't see it. Even if I'm virtually lying on the ground, just don't see it.

So I started Aimpoint Express'ing. I haven't had a proper lesson in it, but I did lots of reading about it so I think I know enough about it to do it well enough. Do I always get the break perfectly? No of course not, but then no one else using any green-reading method always reads the breaks perfectly. But do I get the breaks better than I did before - yes, definitely.

It really doesn't take much time. As far as I'm concerned it's certainly quicker than stalking round the hole "seeing" the breaks from different angles. Slow golfers doing aimpoint are slow, but the aimpoint bit is irrelevant in the pace of play debate - golfers have to read the green somehow, and the slow one are slow. Doesn't matter what technique is used or not used. Faffers gonna faf.
Have you tried looking at any putt you can’t read from behind the hole. It’s often what’s past the hole that confuses the eye, not just the immediate green surface but the way the ground slopes beyond the hole to the edge of the green, and indeed around the green. Because of that, looking from the opposite direction often makes the borrow leap out.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have you tried looking at any putt you can’t read from behind the hole. It’s often what’s past the hole that confuses the eye, not just the immediate green surface but the way the ground slopes beyond the hole to the edge of the green, and indeed around the green. Because of that, looking from the opposite direction often makes the borrow leap out.
Yes, I've tried reading from multiple sides, but I don't find it helps me much. I make a conscious effort to get a general read of the lie of the land as I walk towards the green, but still well off it. By the time I reach the green I don't tend to see too many subtities on there.

I'm red/green colour blind so I've wondered if I'm not picking up cues from slight colour differences that are obvious to "normal" people.

Or maybe I'm just rubbish at reading greens (that one I think :ROFLMAO: ).