Flag in / flag out debate

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't get how people think they can accurately perceive a slope with their feet better than they can with their eyes.
Yeah this for me as well. I tried reading the green with my feet back when Aimpoint first became popular, but if the break is subtle enough that I can't see it with my eyes, I sure as hell can't see it with my feet. :ROFLMAO: Maybe I should try it with my shoes off. (I've not done the proper Aimpoint training obviously.)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't get how people think they can accurately perceive a slope with their feet better than they can with their eyes.
That’s what I think…or perhaps should say that I thought and now not so sure. With the flooring now down in our new kitchen/living area I most certainly can feel where the builder was unable to completely level the base on which the flooring was a laid (we decided against screeding the whole area for good reasons).

Very subtle almost imperceptible, but not imperceptible. Whether that very ‘local’ sensitivity translates to slope and hence borrow, I remain unconvinced, but less so than before.

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Why dis a technique that others feel works for them? Imagine how many putts those individuals would miss if they hadn’t found Aimpoint. They might take a little longer assessing their putts but take less putts. Extra 20 secs over 20 putts, assuming the others might be short tap in’s = 6.5 mins. Then take off the time for 3 or 4 putts they sank but wouldn’t if they hadn’t used Aimpoint. That 6.5mins comes down to 4.5mins or less??? Do we really want to argue over 5mins either way?

D-S

Visit site
Why dis a technique that others feel works for them? Imagine how many putts those individuals would miss if they hadn’t found Aimpoint. They might take a little longer assessing their putts but take less putts. Extra 20 secs over 20 putts, assuming the others might be short tap in’s = 6.5 mins. Then take off the time for 3 or 4 putts they sank but wouldn’t if they hadn’t used Aimpoint. That 6.5mins comes down to 4.5mins or less??? Do we really want to argue over 5mins either way?
4 people in front of you taking 5 minutes each longer is the difference between a 3 hours 50 and a 4 hours 10 round and that always seems huge.

Not that Aimpoint is the only issue just faffing in general.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
4 people in front of you taking 5 minutes each longer is the difference between a 3 hours 50 and a 4 hours 10 round and that always seems huge.

Is any reading of a green faffing and slowing down play. Or just aim point?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

That’s just over a minute a hole. Hardly worth getting in a sweat over. And 4 players using Aimpoint?? I can’t remember ever being in a group where 3 used it, and probably only a couple of times I’ve been in a group where 2 have used it. This really is a non-topic.

D-S

Visit site
Is any reading of a green faffing and slowing down play. Or just aim point?
Players stalking putts from all directions can be very time consuming. I think the issue with Aimpoint is that it tends to be done only when it is that particular players turn, other green reading can be done whilst other players are playing.
Of course, I don’t expect players not to read greens but when they take over the recommended 40 seconds, irrespective of their own system, it becomes ‘faffing’.