Flag in / flag out debate

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I can't see that having the flagstick attended delays play or wastes time compared with, for example, someone taking two or three practice swings on the tee instead of one.
The action that I've seen on a green wasting a lot of time is players having to carefully align the ball that has a line drawn on it. Gawd almighty!
I waste no time in placing my ball and I haven't had, or seen, the flag attended since pre-Covid time.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How does it delay play?

The attender either puts the flag back in (or not) when the ball stops rolling - with the player still to play again - or immediately after the player picks the ball out of the hole. I don't see how either slows down play.
Because you have to wait for someone to toddle over there and grab the flag instead of just hitting your putt of course!

RichA

Visit site
It does put someone out because it's completely unnecessary, and I'd rather be getting on with reading my own putt than standing around holding onto a flag.
Yep. It's a little selfish really and I'd probably not bother giving my own putt the time it deserved, if I felt I was titting around unnecessarily with the flag for my competitor.
On the other hand, I have have no problem if my competitor has one of his attendants do it for him. Maybe that's the solution to please everyone.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can't see that having the flagstick attended delays play or wastes time compared with, for example, someone taking two or three practice swings on the tee instead of one.
The action that I've seen on a green wasting a lot of time is players having to carefully align the ball that has a line drawn on it. Gawd almighty!
I waste no time in placing my ball and I haven't had, or seen, the flag attended since pre-Covid time.
An activity either delays play, or wastes time, without comparison. If it takes time, and is pointless, then it is wasting the time of others. That one isnt taking one, two, or three practice swings is not relevant to the flagstick tango issue. But yes, line aligning is the worst of them all these days. And aimpoint, but fortunately that still seems rare in the amateur world. Even the pros seem to subcontract it to their caddies.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Is it possible to block/ignore a thread so it doesn't show up on the "New Posts" page in the same way that you can ignore a member?
If you ignore a member then any thread they start won't show up....unfortunately evebthreads started by that member that you want to see won't show either...

Voyager EMH

Visit site
An activity either delays play, or wastes time, without comparison. If it takes time, and is pointless, then it is wasting the time of others. That one isnt taking one, two, or three practice swings is not relevant to the flagstick tango issue. But yes, line aligning is the worst of them all these days. And aimpoint, but fortunately that still seems rare in the amateur world. Even the pros seem to subcontract it to their caddies.
So players can waste the time of others with a lot of faffing lining up their putt, using distance measuring devices and taking a lot of practice swings, but exercising the right to choose a quick and simple thing like flag in or out causes far more concern over time wasting - I just don't see it being that much of a concern.
When playing with me, if players want it in, or if they want it out, causes me no concern over the amount of time that is being taken on the green.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I guess a few on here have not heard of things being done, or actually do things, contiguously. Give it a try. Not everything thing has to be done one thing after another - especially if more than one person is involved.

Last edited:

RichA

Visit site
I guess a few on here have not heard of things being done, or actually do things, contiguously. Give it a try. Not everything thing has to be done one thing after another - especially if more than one person is involved.
What else are you able to do while standing, holding the flag as your mate misses their 40 foot putt?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
At my club we have 1 green with a steep slope. When the pin is up the back (most medals) it is so difficult to get your ball on the small back section. Most shots that almost get there would spin/roll back down.
If was a right faff walking up and down there to tend the pin when you had to.
Now everyone putts up with in.
13th at Dunbar for anyone that knows it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It does put someone out because it's completely unnecessary, and I'd rather be getting on with reading my own putt than standing around holding onto a flag.
Any other things allowed under the rules you think unessesary.

Might ask the rules guys what’s the position here if someone refuses to attend the flag.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Any other things allowed under the rules you think unessesary.

Might ask the rules guys what’s the position here if someone refuses to attend the flag.
Tending flags is a complete waste of time now it’s allowed to be left in.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
In your opinion.
It’s allowed under the rules of golf if a player wishes.
some would say hitting a ball around a field with a stick is a waste of time, should we listen to them?
Yes we should listen - they're not completely wrong.
I've found the that the last 50 years hitting a ball with a stick around a field has been a very enjoyable waste of time and continues to be so.
Now I find that it beats working for a living by a long way.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Whatever about flag in out in out, aimpoint is the real weed extending its ugliness through golf at the moment, and it needs to be stamped out. And faster then 25 years time please R&A/USGA.
This man speaks the truth :

https://www.si.com/golf/news/intrus...n-pros-to-kids-awful-for-golf?date=2023-04-03

"AimPoint is a scourge on the game of golf. It looks bad, it slows play down and there is little proof that putting success is improved by the process." Ouch !

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whatever about flag in out in out, aimpoint is the real weed extending its ugliness through golf at the moment, and it needs to be stamped out. And faster then 25 years time please R&A/USGA.
This man speaks the truth :

https://www.si.com/golf/news/intrus...n-pros-to-kids-awful-for-golf?date=2023-04-03

"AimPoint is a scourge on the game of golf. It looks bad, it slows play down and there is little proof that putting success is improved by the process." Ouch !
Biggest load of dog turd I have read in a while.