Flag in / flag out debate

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
An influencing factor is whether the holes have the thin plastic liners around the top, over the cup proper. Never the case in elite golf, so the soil takes the hit with a lower COR than the plastic strip.

Rulesies - can you have a local rule forbidding flag removal ?

the liners should not be around the top they are required to be 1" below the surface if one is not it an be because someone pulled it up when taking the flag out and from a previous thread

1. The member of the greenstaff who cuts the holes must make sure that the Rules of Golf are observed, especially the requirements that the hole must be 4 1/4 inches (108mm), must be at least 4 inches (101.6mm) deep and that wherever possible the hole-liner must be sunk at least one inch (25mm) below the putting green surface. If a plastic cuff/rim is used, it is considered to be part of the holeliner, so it too must be sunk at least one inch (25mm) below the putting green surface, unless the nature of the soil makes it impracticable to do so.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
An influencing factor is whether the holes have the thin plastic liners around the top, over the cup proper. Never the case in elite golf, so the soil takes the hit with a lower COR than the plastic strip.

Rulesies - can you have a local rule forbidding flag removal ?

There was a temporary allowable rule during covid but the rule has now been removed.

D

Deleted member 31467

I don't buy this. Really not sure how an off centre putt has more chance of going in with the flag in. Surely glancing off the flag is going to deflect it whereas no flag the ball has more chance of dropping.
Whatever they think, flag out for me.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most of my regular PP’s leave it in, I have found the guys who ask for it out are mostly seniors.
Dons tin hat 😬🤣
I've found that the guys that ask for it out are mostly better players.
I think you're both right actually. Old people and low handicappers have something in common - both stuck in their ways/habits and don't like change.

D

Deleted member 31467

I think you're both right actually. Old people and low handicappers have something in common - both stuck in their ways/habits and don't like change.
Sweeping generalisation. The remainder do like change then?

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
My experience is that most people on the practice putting green leave the flag in, and then ask for the flag on the putting green to be 'out'. Not really logical is it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My experience is that most people on the practice putting green leave the flag in, and then ask for the flag on the putting green to be 'out'. Not really logical is it.
Perhaps they need to start making proper flags that have the little tray at the bottom for scooping the ball out that practise green flags have. (y)