Flag in / flag out debate

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
An influencing factor is whether the holes have the thin plastic liners around the top, over the cup proper. Never the case in elite golf, so the soil takes the hit with a lower COR than the plastic strip.

Rulesies - can you have a local rule forbidding flag removal ?
No, and those liners around the top do not conform to the rules either.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
No, and those liners around the top do not conform to the rules either.
I think that was discussed here not too long ago, and it hung on whether the ground conditions needed it. And effectively if a greenkeeper decides to put them there, then they are justified. So bit of a catch 22 in reverse - being there in itself makes them legal.

My rule Q was on the issue on whether a local rule can forbid removing the flag ?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I think that was discussed here not too long ago, and it hung on whether the ground conditions needed it. And effectively if a greenkeeper decides to put them there, then they are justified. So bit of a catch 22 in reverse - being there in itself makes them legal.

My rule Q was on the issue on whether a local rule can forbid removing the flag ?
You are if course right with regards to ground conditions. I'm not convinced though that just because a green keeper uses them, that it means they are automatically warranted. I've known clubs use them because they like the look and it saved the staff painting a white ring.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Missed a putt by about 7 inches last week. Stepped up for a tap in with the flag in......the ball hit the flag pole, and bounced straight back at me!!
That's it for me..........unless I'm a fair way away, it's flag out every time!
This imo is why the pros have them out.
Most pros I have seen give the ball a proper good whack on short putts.
The back of the hole is a better damper than a flagstick. And there is more room for the ball to rebound into the hole.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
An influencing factor is whether the holes have the thin plastic liners around the top, over the cup proper. Never the case in elite golf, so the soil takes the hit with a lower COR than the plastic strip.

Rulesies - can you have a local rule forbidding flag removal ?
It’s a rule of golf that the player has a choice I think.
so would be a no.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’ve gone back to ’flag out’ for all putts other than those for which, in the past, I’d have had the flag attended.

I’ve reverted as, keeping it in, I think I had taken to focussing too much on the flagstick and hitting my ball too firm and straight at the flag, neglecting borrow and, to a lesser extent, the weight of a putt. I feel much more comfortable seeing a sward of green uninterrupted by anything other than the hole, and without anything in vision to distract my focus from line and length.

I get the impression that a majority of those I play with have reverted also, and of those who on balance would keep it in, only a small minority are bothered about keeping it in for shortest putts. This may be down to our new flagsticks being very solid and of quite large diameter at green level - increasing likelihood some say of a firm putt bouncing out.

I always declare my wishes for the flag on the 1st green and that tends to prompt all others with me to do the same. In this way we know from the start who is in and who is out unless we are told otherwise, and seem to be able to sort ourselves out to avoid too much hokey-cokey.

Last edited:

D-S

Visit site
Depends on the thickness of the pins - if a club is sensible enough to use thin pins then most leave it in, clubs that still use the old fatter ones have more ‘pin hokey-kokey’ being played.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The simple thing to do is to state that the flag will come out as everyone gets onto the green and if anyone wants it left in they can hit their putt first. Then it can be removed.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not a joke, take the flag out and get it within a few feet and your opponent is instantly rattled. On the flip side if you leave it in the bunker you will look a bit daft 😂
You wouldn't even see this in the Ryder Cup never mind when a couple of hackers are playing. #pathetic