Fitting @ Golf DNA @ Golf Studios Surbiton

Sir Scoop-A-Lot

Head Pro
Visit site
Looks like a good session, look fwd to the write up... (If I can ask) what's the damage?

The session costs £100.

I spoke to Laurence last night and he will have the full breakdown for me by lunchtime. (I was a little too optimistic I would have it sooner).

So without the full breakdown to hand I can only give the full figure of £1275.

As I mentioned before it is a full bag (incl. a bag) with the following components (again specific shafts and alterations I can only provide later).

Callaway x2 Hot Stand Bag
United PBD 1 Driver
Callaway X Hot 3 Deep Fairway Wood
Callaway X2 Hot 5-9 Irons.
Callaway Mac Daddy 2 Wedges x2 (50 & 58)
Odysee White Hot Pro Putter

All of which will be custom shafted and slightly adjusted to my specific needs.

We spoke about the irons whilst I was there and the cost for those with all my modcons was only £25 more than if I got them from American Golf with one less club (4 iron) which I wouldn't need due to no gap requirements.

Thing is when I see the total figure I think ouch! But I did see for myself the huge difference it will make to my game (not just in distance but with accuracy as well) and I have to remember that this is all brand new equipment, specific to me and a full replacement for my current bag.

I have looked for prices on AG for most items, for the Driver I could only find a price direct from manufacturer at £290.00 and thought geez!!! Although looking around at others afterwards on AG it seems about standard for a new driver?

Anyhow without custom set up it would cost £1,278.96. Which for only losing 1 club that I dont need I am struggling to figure out how he is making a profit after the customisation. I assume this is because he will only buy the components seperately (heads, shafts, grips) and build them from the ground up, also something I thought was extremely cool and saw one of his young lads Tom building a custom set for someone else.

Only problem now is gettin HID to let me spend just over a grand on some new clubs! haha.

D

Deleted member 15344

Why no PW ?

Looking at that you will have a considerable gap between your 9 and 50 degree

And also another big gap between your 3W and 5 Iron ?

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
Youre better looking at the likes of clubhouse golf for pricing up. Also if ur clubs are 15 years old how long have you played for? I'm just wondering how many lessons you had, how much practise andchow often you play.

I would say just get your handicap down to sub 20 before forking out.

Sir Scoop-A-Lot

Head Pro
Visit site
Why no PW ?

Looking at that you will have a considerable gap between your 9 and 50 degree

And also another big gap between your 3W and 5 Iron ?

It appears I had the setup down in my mind slightly wrong rushing to put the post up rather than actually checking my notes! After getting home and re-checking my notes is was the following clubs (I also have the shafts now to add in too);

Callaway x2 Hot Stand Bag
United PBD 1 Driver (Adila Tour Blue Shaft 65s Flex Shaft)
Callaway X2 Hot 4 Hybrid (Adila Tour Blue 85r Flex Shaft)

Callaway X2 Hot 6-PW Irons (Shimada VWS90 Steel Shafts)
Callaway Mac Daddy 2 Wedges x2 (52 & 58, with a 'C Grind')
Odysee White Hot Pro Putter (Slightly larger than normal grip with toe to heel weight ditribution adjustment)

Last edited:

Sir Scoop-A-Lot

Head Pro
Visit site
Youre better looking at the likes of clubhouse golf for pricing up. Also if ur clubs are 15 years old how long have you played for? I'm just wondering how many lessons you had, how much practise andchow often you play.

I would say just get your handicap down to sub 20 before forking out.

I'll take a look at them for price comparisons, thanks!

I've only been playing for around 18 months. My clubs were second hand from ebay and although they may not actually be 15 years old they were released in 1998 so there have been a lot of breakthroughs technology wise since then.

I had been playing at least once a week with fortnightly lessons up until before xmas. I got very frustrated with myself as I kept going backwards (my best round last summer was 95 after being 120+ the winter prior, Nov-March just gone I struggled to hit 100!). My pro at the golf club kept saying to me to buy new irons as it would help but rather than listen I went and got a new coach as I didnt want to spend the money. I have improved greatly since changing coach so it was worth the move, I shot 11 over on 9 holes on Thursday but its still not quite there.

My brother in law plays out of Worplesdon GC and plays around 3-4 over most days. So he told me to go and see this guy Laurence and see what he could do for me as he had really helped him in the past.

I know it seems like a lot of money but if I am not using the right equipment will I ever lower my handicap? I'm not saying that to be good you have to get custom fitted but surely even relatively modern equipment or at least the right level of equipment should be used if you really want to move forward?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It would be good if the guy could price match to a degree BUT he also has a business to run and these clubs are a one off order and so that may be reflected in the price. My biggest concern seems to be a gap from driver to 4H. No fairway woods? A three four or five wood gives options off the tee especially on tight holes and as your game improves gives you options to attack on longer holes. Also there still seems to be a gap between hybrid and irons and I'd have thought a 5 iron or even a 5H would plug that gap.

There seems to be some holes to fill. Are you planning to go back and fill these if funds allow or is this a set up the guy has recommended you?

Sir Scoop-A-Lot

Head Pro
Visit site
It would be good if the guy could price match to a degree BUT he also has a business to run and these clubs are a one off order and so that may be reflected in the price. My biggest concern seems to be a gap from driver to 4H. No fairway woods? A three four or five wood gives options off the tee especially on tight holes and as your game improves gives you options to attack on longer holes. Also there still seems to be a gap between hybrid and irons and I'd have thought a 5 iron or even a 5H would plug that gap.

There seems to be some holes to fill. Are you planning to go back and fill these if funds allow or is this a set up the guy has recommended you?

I'm happy with the price, albeit I was initially looking to go for some new irons and just see what the differences are on hybrids, drivers and putters compared to what I currently have so wasnt planning on spending so much in one go however there is a big difference to be seen and cant help but feel if I do it all now I'll be set and then a few lessons and I'd be away.

Gaps wise there was approx 20 yards between the 6i full swing and the 4h full swing (he said I was hitting quite far with the 6i) so with a slightly softer swing with the 4h it would close that comfotably. He did say that I could go for a wood however he felt it would be an expense I didnt need at the moment and suggested the 4h off the tee if it was too tight/short for the driver.

I can go back within 6 months for 'revision' should my game improve and I feel the need for an additional club too.

I am still considering just getting the irons and wedges for now and then going back for the 'revision' in a few months and then buy the rest. Not quite sure yet.

What I do know is that I want to buy a set that will last a few years and not change anything again ideally for the forseeable.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
If it helps HID has been back playing golf for around the same time as you. He started off with secondhand clubs as well or a "bag of spanners" as our Pro called them;). His first purchase was a new putter. He was custom fitted for irons in October last year. He's since then bought a couple of gap wedges, new driver, new 3 wood and new rescue. This was gradual though as he could hit his old ones reasonably well so the Pro wouldn't fit him for new. He was cut from 25 to 22 on Saturday after having won the first competition of the season.

I too have had new irons but am waiting a couple of months, under my Pro's advice, before I get any other new clubs but that's really because I'm hitting my old ones well plus my swing will probably alter. I did change my putter ages ago though as my secondhand putter was completely wrong for me.

I've waffled but 'd say if you want to and can afford to change the whole lot do it but if you've any doubt just change your irons and putter.

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Is there a discount for buying it all together? If not and you are worried about the price, then perhaps buy only the irons and wedges?

I also would say the gaps don't look right to me, I would want a Pw along with 2 other wedges.
If you are struggling off the tee, then an easy to hit 3 wood or even 4 wood would serve you well

Final point I would make is that you should go slow, unless you have bags of money. You are still learning the game, with a good coach, regular lessons and practise your swing and game are going to change considerably and what helps now, might not help in a year or 2

However I know how it is, if the bug has bitten and you have already sold yourself on the new gear, no matter what anyone says it will not make a difference. Good luck and enjoy

Sir Scoop-A-Lot

Head Pro
Visit site
Ok so I think I have worked out what I am going to do.

I am going to buy the 52 and 58 degree wedges (to compliment my PW) and putter first. My logic here is that this is the biggest problem area of my game so hopefully having the right equipment for me this will improve my loss of shots around the green.

Then end of may/june I will buy the irons. Improving the middle to longer game.

And finally I will go back in july for a 'revision' session and ensure the gaps in my longer game (as recommended by most of you) is solidly closed.

I envision to have the full set in my bag by end of august so will have a month before the H4H meet to get them nailed and hopefully making a severe cut in my handicap in the process. :thup:

This way I dont have a big outlay in one go and I get to see in various stages how the equipment has/hasnt improved my game.

Sir Scoop-A-Lot

Head Pro
Visit site

I checked with Laurence about the gap between Driver and 4h, the reason for the gap is that at the moment he doesnt believe I am consistent enough for a wood to make a manageable gap between the Driver and Hybrid.

As my game improves we will look to add something in there to close the gap.

Sir Scoop-A-Lot

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi All,

I just wanted to apologise that I haven't yet put up the full review on this, what with work, BH weekend and KoD I have been manic. I hope to have it sorted very soon. I have the stats its just the time now needed to add them in and post.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I checked with Laurence about the gap between Driver and 4h, the reason for the gap is that at the moment he doesnt believe I am consistent enough for a wood to make a manageable gap between the Driver and Hybrid.

As my game improves we will look to add something in there to close the gap.

That seems pretty sensible and good on the guy for not pushing you into anything. In a funny sort of way I guess it gives you something to work towards in terms of controlling longer clubs like a fairway wood (3 wood off the tee) and I'm sure you'll get there. Gives you an excuse to go back again too!

Sir Scoop-A-Lot

Head Pro
Visit site
So here are my stats from the fitting, thought I'd post them following Vkrup's recomendation.

The review is done and will be posted this afternoon! I'll post the link here as well as posting it in the Review section.

So my stats....
DNA 1.jpg
DNA 2.jpg
DNA 3.jpg

Happy viewing!