Ganton golf club.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s a dormy house with several en suite rooms to stay in.
It’s basic but very nice. Shared kitchen four double rooms I guess.
It’s where we stayed.
The practice ground is right behind it.

There are also some private houses next to the clubhouse.

As for the staff.

Not sure we were only contracted for two days ,prob seen about 8 staff but that’s a guess.
but the size of the greens building is the biggest I have ever seen.
The equipment they had was very impressive ( they had a fire we were told so all new)
They were making a lot of waste areas when we were there they would not be classed as bunkers I think.
Glad you enjoyed it how were the greens after our fracking it’s been about a month now since we did them.?
But most important what did you score?
There is a picture in Things That Gladden the Heart of one of those waste areas. Huge ?. There was one monster between two holes on the back 9, another beast in front of the 18th tee box. I think, from DRW, that the one they really cleared was the one running between the two holes, may be more than two. I don't know what it looked like before but it looked pretty good and clear, importantly fair, to my eye.

Greens were superb. Very true, slick as you like. No sign of any work having been done. You obviously did a great job ?. Genuinely, a cracking advert for what you do and the greens staff there.

I'm too shy to say. Okay, 34 points ?. Ridiculously happy with that, Moogie top scored with 38 I should add. I managed to miss a remarkable number of fairway bunkers in a way I doubt I could ever repeat. I also don't think I have ever been as consistently straight, essential round there as boy can it punish you for being wayward. I can't keep that up sadly. Pressure of playing a good course, making me concentrate, worked on this occasion. (I should also point out, for fairness sake, I do get a good few shots around there. Still ridiculously happy though)

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is a picture in Things That Gladden the Heart of one of those waste areas. Huge ?. There was one monster between two holes on the back 9, another beast in front of the 18th tee box. I think, from DRW, that the one they really cleared was the one running between the two holes, may be more than two. I don't know what it looked like before but it looked pretty good and clear, importantly fair, to my eye.

Greens were superb. Very true, slick as you like. No sign of any work having been done. You obviously did a great job ?. Genuinely, a cracking advert for what you do and the greens staff there.

I'm too shy to say. Okay, 34 points ?. Ridiculously happy with that, Moogie top scored with 38 I should add. I managed to miss a remarkable number of fairway bunkers in a way I doubt I could ever repeat. I also don't think I have ever been as consistently straight, essential round there as boy can it punish you for being wayward. I can't keep that up sadly. Pressure of playing a good course, making me concentrate, worked on this occasion. (I should also point out, for fairness sake, I do get a good few shots around there. Still ridiculously happy though)
Thank you that’s very nice to hear.
34pts around there is very respectable.
I did find it was very intimidating off the tees, all you can see is bunkers.
But the fairways are quite generous atm god knows what it’s like in summer.
We are going to play and stay a few days when the weather gets better.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thank you that’s very nice to hear.
34pts around there is very respectable.
I did find it was very intimidating off the tees, all you can see is bunkers.
But the fairways are quite generous atm god knows what it’s like in summer.
We are going to play and stay a few days when the weather gets better.
I think the issue in the summer is controlling the roll. Whether on the fairway or the greens I can see balls rolling into fairway bunkers, rolling off greens into bunkers or roll off areas. The penalties there are brutal when at times it doesn't seem as though you have hit a bad shot. The run was nice yesterday, in a dry spell I can see it would be very lively.

I took a fatalistic approach off the tee. Too many bunkers for my brain to deal with so just hit the ball as well as I can and what happens happens. On a bad day they could have all gone in bunkers ?‍♂️. Heck of a test.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Back on topic......

Cracking course
Never seen so much sand on a course
Dry as a bone
Greens were nice to putt on, huge greens BTW, very slopy and undulating

Not sure it would be fun in summer if the rough is up though, was all cut down for us

But cracking condition on Sunday, thoroughly enjoyed

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Back on topic......

Cracking course
Never seen so much sand on a course
Dry as a bone
Greens were nice to putt on, huge greens BTW, very slopy and undulating

Not sure it would be fun in summer if the rough is up though, was all cut down for us

But cracking condition on Sunday, thoroughly enjoyed
We worked on the course last month.
While we were working I got chatting to an older member .
He told me the course used to be under the sea.
Obviously a very long time ago that’s why there is so much sand , if you dig a hole anywhere it’s sand and not soil .
So the waste areas are natural sea sand 1000s of years old.
Really interesting guy one of those you could listen to all day and learn from.
Saying that I just hope he wasn’t making it up. :oops:

D

Deleted member 21258

Nice write of the recent changes by NCG here :-

Ganton Golf Club go back to the future with stunning restoration of Pandy bunker (nationalclubgolfer.com)

Steve Carroll on Twitter: "The most exciting changes come at the par 5 9th. The gorse has been cleared away down the left and check out this sandy area! The scale of it is immense. https://t.co/6BJit8UM1R" / Twitter

LT played well on the day, great to see. Hope to do another day and if he can make it, see him in a few more bunkers next time. He let me down and never did visit the sandscape areas, even though I was encouraging you to . ;):ROFLMAO:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nice write of the recent changes by NCG here :-

Ganton Golf Club go back to the future with stunning restoration of Pandy bunker (nationalclubgolfer.com)

Steve Carroll on Twitter: "The most exciting changes come at the par 5 9th. The gorse has been cleared away down the left and check out this sandy area! The scale of it is immense. https://t.co/6BJit8UM1R" / Twitter

LT played well on the day, great to see. Hope to do another day and if he can make it, see him in a few more bunkers next time. He let me down and never did visit the sandscape areas, even though I was encouraging you to . ;):ROFLMAO:
That looks really good.
How’s the one on 18th getting on?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The video on the twitter link above is of the 18th?

A couple of lads in my group visited the big area on 9
1 of them may have had 3 tries in it iirc.......looks very natural tbh, as if it had been there a long time.
Should have seen that schoolboy error
Yes I visited the one on 9th myself with my second shot ,it’s very deep couldn’t see a thing.
Is 18 back on the tee we played it as a per 3.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Should have seen that schoolboy error
Yes I visited the one on 9th myself with my second shot ,it’s very deep couldn’t see a thing.
Is 18 back on the tee we played it as a per 3.
Yes, 18 is back to being a par 4 again. Quite an intimidating tee shot over the waste area, no pressure there :oops:.