Ganton golf club.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We did a few days work on the Air 2 fracking machine at Ganton this Week ,Mon and Tuesday.
The greens were really nice but massive, the putting green is about 80yds long.
Very good intimidation off the tees all you seem to see is bunkers. But the fairways are quite generous.
You need your A game here especially if you go in one of the revetted face bunkers.
There was one there had a full staircase in to it.
I must say what a fabulous place to play golf. We played the course after work.
The course is stunning with work still being done it will be superb by summer I am sure.
We stayed in the Dormy house which was excellent.
Unfortunately we never got in the clubhouse as it shut at 4.30pm( well it is January.)
Nice fish and chip shop down the road though.
Anyone looking for a few days golf should look at this it’s really my ideal place to play.

The green staff Simon and Ben looked after us really well.
For a work place you can’t get better views all around you a stunning place to work and play.
Five star revie from me really enjoyed it.
The greens got me though you need to put well because if you leave yourself short you can have some very long putts.

jmcp

Visit site
We did a few days work on the Air 2 fracking machine at Ganton this Week ,Mon and Tuesday.
The greens were really nice but massive, the putting green is about 80yds long.
Very good intimidation off the tees all you seem to see is bunkers. But the fairways are quite generous.
You need your A game here especially if you go in one of the revetted face bunkers.
There was one there had a full staircase in to it.
I must say what a fabulous place to play golf. We played the course after work.
The course is stunning with work still being done it will be superb by summer I am sure.
We stayed in the Dormy house which was excellent.
Unfortunately we never got in the clubhouse as it shut at 4.30pm( well it is January.)
Nice fish and chip shop down the road though.
Anyone looking for a few days golf should look at this it’s really my ideal place to play.

The green staff Simon and Ben looked after us really well.
For a work place you can’t get better views all around you a stunning place to work and play.
Five star revie from me really enjoyed it.
The greens got me though you need to put well because if you leave yourself short you can have some very long putts.

Hi,

what is an air 2 fracking machine ? Thanks

Cheers, John

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi,

what is an air 2 fracking machine ? Thanks

Cheers, John
It’s a machine that has three 18” probes 1 foot apart, they are vertically driven into the turf every two yards.
It then injects compressed air into the ground to break up the compaction.
It’s helps by breaking the soil up to get more air to the roots, helps with drainage and stops anaerobic build up in the soil.
It costs £32,000 that’s why most clubs don’t have their own.
We go all over the country with it to some very nice places.
We also do many football grounds, bowling greens and any turfed surface that need’s maintaining, but they must not have underground heating.

jmcp

Visit site
It’s a machine that has three 18” probes 1 foot apart, they are vertically driven into the turf every two yards.
It then injects compressed air into the ground to break up the compaction.
It’s helps by breaking the soil up to get more air to the roots, helps with drainage and stops anaerobic build up in the soil.
It costs £32,000 that’s why most clubs don’t have their own.
We go all over the country with it to some very nice places.
We also do many football grounds, bowling greens and any turfed surface that need’s maintaining, but they must not have underground heating.

Hi,

thanks for the great reply. When you say stops anaerobic build up, is that Organic Matter ? The reason I ask is that we are trying out a different form of aeration in a few months in an attempt to reduce our OM levels, we are bringing in DriJect, it is meant to be non disruptive and will be an additional aeration session this season on top of our normal disruptive coring session. Thanks.

Cheers, John

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi,

thanks for the great reply. When you say stops anaerobic build up, is that Organic Matter ? The reason I ask is that we are trying out a different form of aeration in a few months in an attempt to reduce our OM levels, we are bringing in DriJect, it is meant to be non disruptive and will be an additional aeration session this season on top of our normal disruptive coring session. Thanks.

Cheers, John
Yes and no.
You will always have some OM due to dead grass , fertilisers etc sitting in the soil.
Organic matter will still be present but the more air you can get in the soil slows the amount you get.
Proper drainage is the key though , sodden turf isn’t good. The drier the better
You want the roots to go looking for the water this makes them stronger ,so keeping the water off the surface is key.

The Driject looks good but I have not seen it used here yet.
But it does sound very complicated and any machines using kiln dried sand are prone to problems in my opinion.
The only sand injected method we use ( sand cat ) is far to disrupting to a golf green.
We use it on football pitches normally it’s like a shark fin furrow then filled with sand.

If you use the Driject you may be able to just core once instead of twice.
It is after all doing the same job just in a slightly different way.
Let us know how it goes!

jmcp

Visit site
yeh, I’ll update here a few days after we have had the DriJect session, just one thing though, there is no longer a need to use Kiln dried sand so that is less of a complication. Thanks.

Cheers, John

NearHull

Visit site
Slightly disappointed not to get more opinions on Ganton. But on the positive side of life, I value the OP‘s review because there is an obvious breadth of knowledge based on his work……………and I also now know a little more about green maintenance!
on balance - a win.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Slightly disappointed not to get more opinions on Ganton. But on the positive side of life, I value the OP‘s review because there is an obvious breadth of knowledge based on his work……………and I also now know a little more about green maintenance!
on balance - a win.
I'll let you know more on Feb 28th ?. Check out the Arrange a Game section ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
on balance - a win.
We’re coming back later in the year to do some work TBA.
But four of us are looking at a long weekend just to play golf.
Can’t wait I liked it that much.

evemccc

Visit site
I played it last summer— loved it

Found it hard, long, good bunkering and nice views on every hole - just seemed a very tranquil place to be

From memory the greens were difficult - lots of runoffs, undulations and large greens

Not a dissimilar feel of the place to Muirfield IMO

The Fader

Visit site
Maybe considered heresy but I would not return to Ganton. It's nice enough but not worth the 3 figure summer green fee IMHO.

Also found the clubhouse and the members we encountered to be stuck in a time warp.

Zig

Visit site
Love it. Understated, unfussy, top, top quality golf. Most of it looks like I guess it did 70 or 80 years ago! Have watched their twitter feed over winter and the work they're doing looks fantastic. Agree with the Muirfield/clubhouse vibe. Can only talk positively about the people we've encountered there too - had read reviews etc about the old-school rules in the clubhouse, but it seems like it's all about preserving tradition - staff and members have always been very friendly.

The only thing which stops its being even higher ranked for me is the lack of elevation change. That aside, I'd argue it's hard to beat!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
@clubchamp98 I was lucky enough to play here yesterday. Totally agree with your comments about the course, hugely impressive. The conditioning for late Fed was ridiculous, most clubs would be proud of it come June, July. A question for you, with your inside knowledge, how many greenkeepers do they employ? The sheer number, size and quality of the bunkers was off the scale and they alone, forget the huge greens, must take an army. If it is hush, hush then don't break a confidence, it is simple curiosity.

One other question. There is a building as you enter the driveway, probably something that has been converted into a house. Is it a house, does it belong to the club? It looked lovely and I forgot to ask. Again, simple curiosity.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are you referring to the old school house that we spoke about near the 16th tee, its here :-

doc_0_2.pdf (onthemarket.com)
Yes, exactly that. Sorry, I thought you said that it looked like an old school house, not that it was one. In my defence, at that point the wind was getting up ?.

That's a lot of house, garden etc for the money, unless those details are old and the price out of date. What a location as well............As agreed when we saw it though, you get first dabs ?

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
@clubchamp98 I was lucky enough to play here yesterday. Totally agree with your comments about the course, hugely impressive. The conditioning for late Fed was ridiculous, most clubs would be proud of it come June, July. A question for you, with your inside knowledge, how many greenkeepers do they employ? The sheer number, size and quality of the bunkers was off the scale and they alone, forget the huge greens, must take an army. If it is hush, hush then don't break a confidence, it is simple curiosity.

One other question. There is a building as you enter the driveway, probably something that has been converted into a house. Is it a house, does it belong to the club? It looked lovely and I forgot to ask. Again, simple curiosity.
It’s a dormy house with several en suite rooms to stay in.
It’s basic but very nice. Shared kitchen four double rooms I guess.
It’s where we stayed.
The practice ground is right behind it.

There are also some private houses next to the clubhouse.

As for the staff.

Not sure we were only contracted for two days ,prob seen about 8 staff but that’s a guess.
but the size of the greens building is the biggest I have ever seen.
The equipment they had was very impressive ( they had a fire we were told so all new)
They were making a lot of waste areas when we were there they would not be classed as bunkers I think.
Glad you enjoyed it how were the greens after our fracking it’s been about a month now since we did them.?
But most important what did you score?