Fitting @ Golf DNA @ Golf Studios Surbiton

Sir Scoop-A-Lot

Head Pro
Visit site
So Friday I am booked in to see Laurence at Golf DNA based at Golf Studios in Surbiton for a 'Full Bag Fitting'. I am really quite excited to see what is available out there to help me improve.

Golf Studios was in Golf Monthly's top picks this month on page 45 and I know that the facilities are awesome as I have lessons there regularly.

I have come a long way over the last few months and am currently using irons that are 15 years old! So definitely think a newer set will benefit me.

Has anyone else ever had a full fitting before? And am I right to be excited like a school boy on Christmas eve?

Their website is here if anyone fancies taking a look.

http://www.golf-studios.com/golf-dna/

D

Deleted member 15344

Looks very good - very smart

Do you have your eyes on anything ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Looks like a proper Fitting Studio.

I'm a fan of these.

Just make sure you don't get 'fitted up' though! Make sure you come away with your all Launch Monitor numbers, and specs of the clubs they recommend. That way, you get the benefit of your sizeable spend!

And ask about 'warranty' of their fit, should the results of any purchases not meet expectations.

Sir Scoop-A-Lot

Head Pro
Visit site
So Friday I am booked in to see Laurence at Golf DNA based at Golf Studios in Surbiton for a 'Full Bag Fitting'. I am really quite excited to see what is available out there to help me improve.

Golf Studios was in Golf Monthly's top picks this month on page 45 and I know that the facilities are awesome as I have lessons there regularly.

I have come a long way over the last few months and am currently using irons that are 15 years old! So definitely think a newer set will benefit me.

Has anyone else ever had a full fitting before? And am I right to be excited like a school boy on Christmas eve?

Their website is here if anyone fancies taking a look.

http://www.golf-studios.com/golf-dna/

I quite like the Callaway Xhot's or Cobra AMP's but not set on anything. And feel a new putter would maybe help. (need to find a solution to my 3 putts! )

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Looks like a good service. Only note of caution, from my experiance, is watch for getting tired and hence misleading results - if you sense this, perhaps ask if you can split the session.

I am in the process of changing the whole bag - partly down to a significant B'day this year, partly because I've only bought clubs off eBay and have gone from 22 to 13 hcp and think some proper tools for the job will really help now.

So far, (through my club Pro), I've spent and hour fitting a driver and narrowed it down to a top 3. By the end of the hour, hitting 6 / 8 balls with probably 6 or 7 differnent manuf clubs, some in multiple specs I was knackered and the latter ones did have a couple of tired swings to discount. Today I spent a couple of hours doing some wedge selection (5 makes / types in the mix, narrowed down to two) and tomorrow I will do an iron fitting but neither I nor my pro expect to get the answer in one go.

If your after a confirmation you have the right kit or loft / lie tuning then great, however my view is that to do the whole bag in one go is quite an ask unless you are very match fit!

Don't mean to play down this service, I think it is great, but make sure the swing you are putting on the ball is representative and I'd ask before I started whether it was ok to call time part way through.

Simon

Sir Scoop-A-Lot

Head Pro
Visit site
Looks like a proper Fitting Studio.

I'm a fan of these.

Just make sure you don't get 'fitted up' though! Make sure you come away with your all Launch Monitor numbers, and specs of the clubs they recommend. That way, you get the benefit of your sizeable spend!

And ask about 'warranty' of their fit, should the results of any purchases not meet expectations.

I have been told that he will give me full specs and no pressure to buy. I'll ask about the warranty.

The setup is awesome. They have 2 bays. One is a simulator that allows you to play any course in the world. Very realistic with slices or hooks (I'd know! Haha) and one that's more professional that kicks out all the usual stats loft, speed, spin, etc.

I have lessons on the latter with one of their pros Jon and and the former is great for a night out with the lads.

I hope the fitting is as good as the rest I've experienced! I'll post the results and a review once I'm done.

Sir Scoop-A-Lot

Head Pro
Visit site
Looks like a good service. Only note of caution, from my experiance, is watch for getting tired and hence misleading results - if you sense this, perhaps ask if you can split the session

I am in the process of changing the whole bag - partly down to a significant B'day this year, partly because I've only bought clubs off eBay and have gone from 22 to 13 hcp and think some proper tools for the job will really help now.

So far, (through my club Pro), I've spent and hour fitting a driver and narrowed it down to a top 3. By the end of the hour, hitting 6 / 8 balls with probably 6 or 7 differnent manuf clubs, some in multiple specs I was knackered and the latter ones did have a couple of tired swings to discount. Today I spent a couple of hours doing some wedge selection (5 makes / types in the mix, narrowed down to two) and tomorrow I will do an iron fitting but neither I nor my pro expect to get the answer in one go.

If your after a confirmation you have the right kit or loft / lie tuning then great, however my view is that to do the whole bag in one go is quite an ask unless you are very match fit!

Don't mean to play down this service, I think it is great, but make sure the swing you are putting on the ball is representative and I'd ask before I started whether it was ok to call time part way through.

Simon

Very valid point. I hadn't thought of this at all. Thanks for the pointer!

V

vkurup

Laurence P used to be a pro at my place.. He is a good lad never tried to pressure sell and was liked by all. Agree with the comments above, wud split the sessions as it may get tiring. I need to stop by sometime and say say hello to him. Will drop him a note that u r a forumer. :)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Im a little confused with custom fit at the moment after having it done on the last few iron set I've bought. I have just bought a bog standard set of Callaway X2Hot irons, bog standard off the shelf and they seem fine!

V

vkurup

Look forward to a write up.
I was planning to go to TM at Wentworth or Titelist in St Ivs for some new shineys. But a family wedding means I might have skip it and do an MOT on my existing clubs instead. So keen to see how this one goes. Have dropped Laurence a note so he is expecting a forumer.. say hello to him..

Sir Scoop-A-Lot

Head Pro
Visit site
Well where to begin......

What an AMAZING afternoon!! All I can say is I will never go back to off the shelf clubs again. I cannot believe how much of a difference a change in shaft alone let alone loft adjustment and weight change can make. If you haven't had a custom fitting before I definitely recommend it.

I will be doing a full write up for the magazine and forum over the weekend but Laurence was a great guy, very approachable and friendly, and knew exactly what to do to help me out. I managed to get an extra 20-30 yards on iron shots and an extra 35 yards on a driver. With a couple of tweaks he was able to remove my huge right fade entirely no matter how hard I swung at the ball.

Looks like I'll be getting some new shineys soon! :clap:

Sir Scoop-A-Lot

Head Pro
Visit site
Which shineys are you getting ?

I don't have all the information to hand at the moment with regards to shafts etc, Laurence is emailing it to me this evening, however the club heads are 6-9 Callaway X2 Hot's. I tried the 4 fairway wood as well and some Callaway wedges (50 and 58 i think and were like a knife through butter!). I've never heard of the Driver brand before, "United" but that was great too.

Now deciding whether to go whole hog, half bag or just the irons. Decisions, decisions, decisions!

And considering I have made the cut for the Kings of Distance day I may hold off just for a week to see what I can see there too.

All in all though very exciting. My current irons are from 1998 and second hand and I really had no idea how much of a difference more modern irons would make.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds great. I've just got new Callaway irons and I've got an extra 20 yards against my secondhand irons which were probably about 10 years old.

V

vkurup

Looks like a good session, look fwd to the write up... (If I can ask) what's the damage?