Fine Dining/Michelin Star Restaurants

• Thread starter Deleted member 1740
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1740

I've always wanted to try a proper Michelin star restaurant particularly at Le Gavroche Michel Roux Jr's place, has anybody been and if so your thoughts.

D

Deleted member 15344

Have been to a Chateux in France whose restaurant was overseen by Micheal Roux senior - stunning lamb filet !!

Also been to Paris House which again was beautiful

Been to a few other places around that don't have a star but have chefs who learnt their trade at one

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've always wanted to try a proper Michelin star restaurant particularly at Le Gavroche Michel Roux Jr's place, has anybody been and if so your thoughts.

My parents have been a few times. The first time they loved it. The second time they made the mistake of going a week after I sent them to Hedone (michelin star restaurant in Chiswick), and weren't as impressed by Michel. (They're clearly getting picky). They still massively recommend it though! (Hedone is still meant to be good, but last I heard a couple of Head Chef movements have changed things slightly, as you would expect)

D

Deleted member 15344

One place I will recommend to anyone is The Hand and Flowers in Marlow - Tom Kerridges place - stunning food !!

D

Deleted member 1740

My parents have been a few times. The first time they loved it. The second time they made the mistake of going a week after I sent them to Hedone (michelin star restaurant in Chiswick), and weren't as impressed by Michel. (They're clearly getting picky). They still massively recommend it though! (Hedone is still meant to be good, but last I heard a couple of Head Chef movements have changed things slightly, as you would expect)

Thanks mate, did they go for lunch or dinner or was it a taster menu?

I'm going to book it I think so I'll have to dust down my best suit :cheers:

D

Deleted member 15344

I'd looked at that but for a weekend slot they're fully booked til next year!!

Yeah it's a long wait but worth it

We have been twice and booked in for my birthday this year

Ticking the days away

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks mate, did they go for lunch or dinner or was it a taster menu?

I'm going to book it I think so I'll have to dust down my best suit :cheers:

Went for the taster menu (with wine flighting), both times I believe. If you like rich food, you will love it. Their advice was be hungry when you go there, you get plenty! (and if you finish the glass of wine while you still have food on the plate, they are good at topping it up!)

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I went to Dinner by Heston in January for my 25th and it was exceptional. The scallops were amazing, the steak was perfectly seasoned, perfectly cooked and had a beautiful smokey taste, and then the dessert was superb. Loved it. The service was great too, really felt like they wanted us to have a good time, and every need was catered for. My fiancee is gluten intolerant, and they provided gluten-free bread which was some of the nicest bread I've ever had, was amazed it was gluten-free. Would definitely go back, and am very keen to sample The Fat Duck.

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm always interested in this kind of thing. I appreciate that you know and love this place, but would it not be good to go try somewhere equally as amazing?

Oh we go to a few places each year - driving back up to the Lakes to stay at the Lakeside as the food there is wonderful

A lovely place just outside Stratford is another fav

Off to the Oxo Tower later also

Always on the look out for some good food places

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Over priced for what it is, go to a Michelin Star restaurant who's chef isn't on the telly and you'll get a treat.

Gleneagles Hotel, Andrew Fairlie is one of the best in Britain, 2 stars.

Tasting menu for £125 and you'll get a treat. A la carte, 3 courses for £95