Fine dining

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
The wife and I are booked to go away to Cornwall in August and will be away for our wedding anniversary. I have been looking at booking a table at Paul Ainsworths restaurant down there, but have never really done the true fine dining thing.

I would say I’m quite into my food, but equally enjoy a more modest fish and chips (insert personal preference here) sat on the beach with a good view.

I’m happy to spend the cash on what it’s going to cost, but from your experiences, is the fine dining (Michelin star) experience worth it?

On a slightly desperate note if anyone has any top restaurant suggestions around the Padstow area please do say.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I had the best Dover Sole at Rick Stein's Padstow restaurant that I've ever tasted. The couple sitting near had the seafood platter and I could have thoroughly enjoyed that too.

D

Deleted Member 1156

The best known restaurant in Padstow is Rick Steins. I wasn't overly impressed when I tried it. Plenty of nice places in town, check TripAdvisor. Couple of good places over in Rock. Unfortunately Jamie Oliver's 15 in Newquay closed down, that was excellent.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I had the best Dover Sole at Rick Stein's Padstow restaurant that I've ever tasted. The couple sitting near had the seafood platter and I could have thoroughly enjoyed that too.

I’d looked at his place, but proper sea food isn’t really my things. I do plan on going to his fish and chips shop again as it was extremely good when we went a couple of years ago.

D

Deleted member 15344

If you like Fish then pop to Port Issac and go to Nathan Outlaws

The wife has been to Paul Ainsworths in Padstow and loved it

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fine Dining I have only ever done twice in my lifetime. The first time was by accident, having had the restaurant recommended to me by someone with a lot more money than me, it cost me a weeks wages.

The second time was a gift from my wife's boss because he had made her work abroad for 4 x 3 weeks living me to 'fend for myself ' (not that it bothered me) and was an excellent experience particularly when you know you are not picking up the bill.

D

Deleted member 1147

I try to visit a Michelin restaurant at least once a year.
It’s pricey and goes up for each additional star a restaurant gets, but isn’t always better for the extra star.
The best I’ve been to have been Marcus Waring, Sat Bains, Murano and Midsummer House.

The main point about Michelin is that it should be consistently good.

Wine is the biggest issue, a top restaurant will probably have a 300-400% mark up on its wine. So choose carefully ie, Northern Rhône white instead of Burgundian Chardonnay etc

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We went to Rick Stein's bistro at Padstow, more relaxed and cheaper on a set menu than the main restaurant. Really lovely and highly recommended. It was 5 years ago but no reason to think that would have changed much.

My BiL and SiL went to the main restaurant and were also suitably impressed but we passed on that so I can't comment.

If you go to Rick's then a blue linen shirt is compulsory in honour of the man, just saying ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Apart from the two Rick Stein's places and the obvious Paul Ainsworth at No 6 I would recommend his newly taken over Café Rojano by Paul Ainsworth.
But No 6 is the best; not cheap but worth it.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't comment on Padstow as I've never been - but on the general principle of Michelin stars, I've never been disappointed on the few occasions I've been in one. Best ever was Joel Robichon's - a 2 star place in the West End. Took Mrs B for a birthday with zero in it - eye watering price but worth it for the (probably) one-off experience.

D

Deleted member 15344

My best dining experience is at The Hand and Flowers in Marlow - lovely

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have experienced fine dining on about 3 to 4 occasions.
Never had to pay as it was generally returning a favour for free advice.
On each occasion it was a wonderful experience.
The odd time I have dined/stayed at a 5 star hotel it has usually been underwhelming.

disapoining.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My best dining experience is at The Hand and Flowers in Marlow - lovely
Also done Hand and Flowers, great meal but pricey. However, we had seen the me before we booked so knew how much it would cost. Always amazes me when people book a restaurant and then moan about the cost, didn’t they check before they booked?
The best meal experience we have had though was a little restaurant on the beach in Santorini, just us in there, lovel atmosphere and nice simple food

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I try to visit a Michelin restaurant at least once a year.
It’s pricey and goes up for each additional star a restaurant gets, but isn’t always better for the extra star.
The best I’ve been to have been Marcus Waring, Sat Bains, Murano and Midsummer House.

The main point about Michelin is that it should be consistently good.

Wine is the biggest issue, a top restaurant will probably have a 300-400% mark up on its wine. So choose carefully ie, Northern Rhône white instead of Burgundian Chardonnay etc
this is the only issue i've ever had in a MS. wine list delivered by someone wearing a mask

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would say I’m quite into my food, but equally enjoy a more modest fish and chips (insert personal preference here) sat on the beach with a good view.

I’m happy to spend the cash on what it’s going to cost, but from your experiences, is the fine dining (Michelin star) experience worth it?

Yes, it’s worth it. Firstly good food is good food, many very high end chefs share a love of simple food done well and would say the exact same thing about a good fish supper.

Memorable eating is more than just about the food, the whole dining experience matters whether that’s the park bench or fine linens. That’s pretty much what modern fine cuisine is built on - food as an experience.

You don’t need to aim for Michelin rated but it is worth it. Also look for AA Rosettes and another good tip, lots of good Chefs are pretty active on social media. Have a look around at what they’re recommending - they eat out too funnily enough and are always sharing recommendations of where else to go.

Echo the suggestion to stay away from Stein’s. Was good many years ago but now a victim of commercial success that has become very overrated even though I like the guy and what he achieved.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you are a fish restaurant with decent proper access to fresh fish cooking it simply is absolutely the best way of serving it... Any chef that can't manage that should be shown the door...

Our best 'fine dining' story is from when we were guests of one of my clients... A Z lister was in the house and the staff were buzzing around her to the detriment of the rest of the guests... When our host was presented the bill he demanded the service charge was removed and added to Ulrika's as that where all their attention had been placed... Caused a bit of a stir that...

D

Deleted member 17920

The wife and I are booked to go away to Cornwall in August and will be away for our wedding anniversary. I have been looking at booking a table at Paul Ainsworths restaurant down there, but have never really done the true fine dining thing.

On a slightly desperate note if anyone has any top restaurant suggestions around the Padstow area please do say.
If you are going to Paul Ainsworth's then book it way in advance, we went in September last year and our friends couldn’t get a table at all for weeks.

They ended up going to Caffè Rojano by Paul Ainsworth instead and thoroughly enjoyed it, The Seafood Restaurant of Rick Steins is as busy as ever, night after night its packed so they must be doing something right, just don’t go to Rick's takeaway by the harbour car parks as its terrible.

D

Deleted member 25172

If you are a fish restaurant with decent proper access to fresh fish cooking it simply is absolutely the best way of serving it... Any chef that can't manage that should be shown the door...

Our best 'fine dining' story is from when we were guests of one of my clients... A Z lister was in the house and the staff were buzzing around her to the detriment of the rest of the guests... When our host was presented the bill he demanded the service charge was removed and added to Ulrika's as that where all their attention had been placed... Caused a bit of a stir that...

HowDareYou.JPG

Call Ulrika a Z-lister? :D

That was a great response from your host though btw!