Fine dining

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I love Masterchef and therefore I am a fan of fine dining, but I have not been very often. Especially since we now have a 4 yo who doesn’t cope well with us not being around.

Best place I have been to was probably the Riverside cafe before they received their star, most underwhelming was John Turrod which I don’t think is started but still fine dining.

Anyway, I played golf in Chiswick just opposite the Depot where I have been a few times and I really liked it.

Echo the suggestion to stay away from Stein’s. Was good many years ago but now a victim of commercial success that has become very overrated even though I like the guy and what he achieved.

Rick Stein did take over The Depod and I mentioned to a golf mate of mine that I really want to try out that place.
He previously was a Michelin stared chef himself and advised against going there.

D

Deleted member 18588

I don't know if it is important to the OP but it may be worth noting that none of Rick Stein's restaurants have a Michelin star.

The food should still be OK but personally I would say there's better to be had in the area from either Nathan Outlaw or Paul Ainsworth.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have experienced fine dining on about 3 to 4 occasions.
Never had to pay as it was generally returning a favour for free advice.
On each occasion it was a wonderful experience.
The odd time I have dined/stayed at a 5 star hotel it has usually been underwhelming.

I hope you put it on your tax return as 'benefit in kind' and paid the tax!!;)

disapoining.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been a long time since I have been to a restaurant with a star but been to many that you would see as the level below. I watch quite a lot of programs like the Great British Menu and look up the restaurants of the chefs on there. Masterchef also used to be good for showcasing up and coming places as they would send the chefs there for the day but less so now (later rounds are very high end places, earlier rounds never seem to leave London).

What I did find really helpful was a list produced by the food critic Jay Raynor (whose opinions I tend to agree with) on Twitter. He was asked by a terminally ill person for a list of places that he would go to if he were in the same position. He wanted great food but no pretentions and Jay Raynor put together the list. Sadly, the person only made it to a few before passing away but I always look at that list if I am looking for somewhere to eat.

D7uCcHZXoAAhSeb

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Should also be noted that a large number of chefs don’t like the Michelin system and therefore don’t apply to be assessed so it isn’t necessarily a certain sign that a place isn’t a good one.

D

Deleted member 18588

Should also be noted that a large number of chefs don’t like the Michelin system and therefore don’t apply to be assessed so it isn’t necessarily a certain sign that a place isn’t a good one.
True, but on the other hand, for those that hold a star or stars it is generally a certain sign of quality.

D

Deleted member 25172

Plenty excellent places that are Michelin recommended rather than starred that would be worth a look.

There's a chinese restaurant in Islington called "Yipin" that have a Michelin recommendation. When you're standing outside, it looks like your standard chinese take away on the corner, and you're slightly worried that you'll get food poisoned if you go in, but it's the best place I know in London. And for some reason, no matter what you order (we always used to order a truck load of different dishes to share"), the bill always come to around £30-£35 per head.

I cannot wait to get back there once things open up again.

D

Deleted member 18588

A guy at the club told me that Rick Steins in Sandbanks are doing this too. £80 a head to cook it yourself ?
It's been a trend throughout lockdown, both 1 & 2.

Carters, a Michelin starred restaurant in Moseley, Birmingham has offered a number of different options.

sunshine

Visit site
If you are a fish restaurant with decent proper access to fresh fish cooking it simply is absolutely the best way of serving it... Any chef that can't manage that should be shown the door...

Our best 'fine dining' story is from when we were guests of one of my clients... A Z lister was in the house and the staff were buzzing around her to the detriment of the rest of the guests... When our host was presented the bill he demanded the service charge was removed and added to Ulrika's as that where all their attention had been placed... Caused a bit of a stir that...

That must have been annoying. One of the things I expect at Michelin starred restaurants is that all diners get the same top quality service. To be fair, I've never really noticed celebs getting preferential treatment when I've been out.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
That must have been annoying. One of the things I expect at Michelin starred restaurants is that all diners get the same top quality service. To be fair, I've never really noticed celebs getting preferential treatment when I've been out.

TBH I hadn't really noticed what was occurring, probably enjoying the alcohol too much... But, it had clearly annoyed our host and he was picking up the [expensive] tab... Think he was always going to settle up [and, indeed, iirc he did] but he didn't add any additional cash tip...

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
The wife and I are booked to go away to Cornwall in August and will be away for our wedding anniversary. I have been looking at booking a table at Paul Ainsworths restaurant down there, but have never really done the true fine dining thing.

I would say I’m quite into my food, but equally enjoy a more modest fish and chips (insert personal preference here) sat on the beach with a good view.

I’m happy to spend the cash on what it’s going to cost, but from your experiences, is the fine dining (Michelin star) experience worth it?

On a slightly desperate note if anyone has any top restaurant suggestions around the Padstow area please do say.

Padstiens is great as is Paul Ainsworth (prefer) however if your a fish lover and near Port Issac I would always go to Nathan Outlaws, he has two great ones there. It’s only 30 odd minutes from Padstien.

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
I’m sure you’ll enjoy it, I’ve not been to Paul Ainsworth but it sounds like those that have enjoyed it. Bit of a hobby of mine to travel around and try differed Michelin starred restaurants, L’enclume is probably the best I’ve been to recently but I also love the Star at Harome and Pipe and Glass near Beverley - if somebody wanted to try a more relaxed fine dining experience I’d certainly recommend those two