Finally coming to terms with the mental side of the game? Possibly?? Perhaps???

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After struggling early season and blowing up on the last two or three holes of each round, I may, just may, have finally relaxed and come to terms with dealing with the mental side of the game.

I had a couple of rounds in late April/early May, where I walked of the 16th green having taken 76 blows to that point, only to then take another 15 for the final two holes!! I resolved not to count my score until I walked off the 18th green for the next few rounds, but try as I might, I always seemed to be aware of where I was in relation to 'level 5's'.

Anyway, have forced myself to relax, take proper alignment, visualise the shot and swing easy and have been playing pretty well in recent weeks. Two matchplay scalps were taken 4 & 3, against a 10 handicapper and 13 handicapper respectively. Two further handicap cuts have been secured, the most satisfying of which was last week when I knew what I needed to score on the last two holes to get the cut and duly went and parred both.

And then last night.........

.......played in a Club Plate tie against a fifteen handicapper (Top 8 qualifiers with handicaps of 13 or over) and was 3 down after six holes. Just kept plugging away and got back to all square after 11. Was one up coming up 15 and inexplicably lost a ball somewhere in the first cut off the fairway, then also lost a ball on 16. So, one down with two to go. Chipped in for a birdie 2 at 17 and then parred the last after splitting the fairway with my drive and a majestic 4 iron to fifteen feet for a one hole win!!

Now through to the semi-final against a guy I've beaten before, so looking forward to that.

I just feel much more relaxed and able to shrug off the poor shots, knowing in my mind that I have the ability to do it.

Wonder how long it'll last............................... :mmm:

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Awesome mate,I am really pleased for you.The mental game is the toughest to master,this bodes well for your handicap for sure!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've been a lot better this season mainly because I trust my swing more. I can shrug off bad holes easier as I know that with the improved ball striking I'm likely to make a few pars elsewhere. And there's the performance at Camberley.... totally inept and no idea why, what was wrong or how to cure it. Dang

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Nice one Del. Having the right attitude is definitely worth a few shots, and once you've figured it out it makes you wonder why you ever felt any other way in the past.