Fee's for 2008

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unemployed get in free so do minority groups the disadvantaged(in any way) lesbian and gay groups political asylem seekers and england football players as they will have nothing to do next year.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Blimey, this thread has grown quickly.

Back to the original subject, our subs are 960 for 2008, which for home counties 18 hole course is not bad.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I am nomadic at the moment.

Reason being that I have time to play once a week if I am lucky, I also go fishing and have a beautiful daughter I want to see grow up. Hence I can't see the financial sense in membership until after my wedding is paid for next year!

Subs for me would be around £700-£1500 depending on which local club I decided to join.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
You would be amazed at the Cartel that appears to exist in my area. Almost every club within a 25 mile radius coincidentally charges the same annual fees and the same joining fee. The only one that differs is a pay and play course that charges for an annual season ticket as opposed to membership.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Back to the thread.

Our annual subs for 2007 were £540 with £100 reduction for pensioners.

Juniors don't pay a joining fee, but they pay subs which are calculated to include the joining fee so that it's already paid when they become full members.

Are clubs pricing themselves out of the market? I don't think so yet. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have never heard of a club going into receivership or ceasing to exist because of lack of funds, but it could happen I suppose.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The fees at Royal Ascot are approximately £1000 but there is a significant joining fee on top for new members. However as you can basically role up and play whenever and given the way the course is maturing (only been open in its current format for 3 years) I consider it value for money

Happy golfing
Homer

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Maybe I'm wrong, but I have never heard of a club going into receivership or ceasing to exist because of lack of funds, but it could happen I suppose.
According to this article:

"The rapid building programme of the 1990s has dropped off dramatically, and the number of new courses built each year is now usually in single figures. The Golf Research Group estimates that 83% of the courses built since 1989 either went bust or experienced severe financial difficulties."

Those courses were built on the back of the popularity boom caused by players like Faldo, Lyle, Langer, Seve and so on. Once they were no longer as popular and successful as they once were, the golf course business seemed to go the same way.

Btw my course is pay and play, has no joining fee and charges £650 per year plus another £50 if you want to join the official club and get a handicap.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The Golf Research Group estimates that 83% of the courses built since 1989 either went bust or experienced severe financial difficulties."

Yeah! That doesn't say any of them went bust and closed. Ask the GRG to name the courses.

But I could still be wrong.

DCB

Visit site
Next year will probably take our subs up to near the £600 mark. Mind you we do have a £65 levie in there for new clubhouse costs.

Compared to a season ticket for a good seat at the football, a couple of pints each game and a programme it's not that bad!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is that 1% bust and 82% struggled!?

Around here (thank god) we have a buyers market, all the clubs have vacancies (including the "famous/well known") and players have been known to switch over a fee rise. It suits me. I wish it was the same for plumbers.

Can't see the situation improving at all in the foreseeable...

Dave

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
The fees at Royal Ascot ...(only been open in its current format for 3 years) I consider it value for money

Homer

I saw on the net 1887 or something....can you elaborate?

I'd say that was very reasonable for your area £20 p/w?

I moved from Surrey and not only now live in a castle (almost), but get 1/2 price golf too!!

I enjoyed the virtual tour b.t.w.

Dave

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Liam (and everyone else on this thread),
Your situation highlights precisely why more and more switched on clubs are offering these age-related incentives.
What chance do you really have of finding £960 next year unless mum and dad help or you somehow fluke a vastly better paid job than the average 18/19 year old.
If those scenarios don't unfold you will probably have to let your membership go and may become lost to the sport for ever. Many golf clubs are finally waking up to the fact that they have an ageing membership and no younger members in line to replace them when they die, thus leaving them devoid of funds. These graded fee schemes mean there's more chance of retaining young members on limited incomes until such time as they can afford to pay full subs.
May seem unfair to some, but it's of necessity at a great many clubs.

cosworth

Assistant Pro
Visit site
im not a member of any course but from my point of veiw memberships are too high and joining fees are a joke.
my local is just shy of £500 which at the moment i wont get my moneys worth in a yr.so i travel twice the distance to a cheap public £8.50 for 12 good qaulity holes.
my point is though that if my local halved the cost or say £300yr then me and 2 mates would join giving them £900 from us but as it is they get nothing.
maybe my point is useless to some but im sure im not the only one in this position.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Realgolferuk

You are quite right the club itself has been going since 1887. We traditionally had an 18 hole course inthe middle of Ascot racecourse, but when the race course authorities decided to move the straight mile course and build the new grandstand we had to find a new home.

We orginally went to a composite 9 hole course early around 2002/3 (I had left as my mum was ill and I looked after her and couldn't justify the fees for so little golf). The deal was we had to fund the building of our new clubhouse and the Ascot authoirty would pay for the new course.

It officially opened in August 2005 (by barry Lane who has connections as a youngster with the club) and HRH Prince Andrew opened the clubhouse in May 2006.

It is a parkland course with penal rough and tricky greens. There has been significant tree planting during and after it was built and these are now starting to define each hole. Its a real challenge and has hosted Ladies BBO county events and a southern PGA pro-am.

We are looking for members and I would be happy to help any forum members investigate joining (maybe even propose if the price is right!!!). BE WARNED the annual fee is approx £1000 which represents value for money but they are charging a joining fee of c£1200 which has put a lot of people off.

Happy golfing
Homer

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Furyk-or-unique, good point but age related fees are way off the best practise i feel, for a club member aged about 18 etc they should pursue pathways such as sport scholarships to fund green fees etc, (this is easily achievable through their college) or follow routes such as Colin. M or Luke Donald and go across the pond to the USA? (If they are good enough)

With a graded fee scheme what happens for the unemployed or mature students etc? thier so many holes in that system. Its a tricky topic and one that i dont think their is no one solution to make everybody happy.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Homer J where are you living around Ascot? could be useful in sharing transport up to the golf forum weekend away? Im living near Kingston.

B

birdieman

I suddenly feel quite lucky, we pay £195/yr for a full membership - great value. If I had to pay £1000/yr I would be looking for a new hobby.