Farleigh Court Golf Club BANNED me from their driving range today!!

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It never ceases to amaze me how this forum descends into "mud slinging" at the earliest opportunity and over nothing.
Its a forum. People use it to discuss topics, yet even that creates complaints when forum members discuss a topic too much! You don't have to contribute or even read a thread. If you don't like the OP, why torture yourself reading a thread he started?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
It never ceases to amaze me how this forum descends into "mud slinging" at the earliest opportunity and over nothing.
Its a forum. People use it to discuss topics, yet even that creates complaints when forum members discuss a topic too much! You don't have to contribute or even read a thread. If you don't like the OP, why torture yourself reading a thread he started?

Plus 1 to that , can we calm down please

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I didn't say he was unliked......

Granted ..... But the point is that we don't see James in a bad light!

In fact I think he is anything other than me me me in that the does what he does for the love love the game and to help others and is willing to go far beyond the call of duty to do it. I, personally, am not at all surprised that a golf range would ban him in the circumstances but that's a commercial matter for the pro and I can see why it's happened but if you know James at all he is not me me me when it comes down to his passion for the game

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Heading back in the vague direction of where this thread started.......I would probably side with JO in terms of being able to help a mate but wondered if there are insurance implications for the range. If I had a lesson with a pro at a range and he did/said something that directly led me to get injured or me to injuring someone else I would assume that he would have insurance to cover that. If JO did the same then would the range be liable as it happened while using their facilities?

D

Deleted member 3432

As I see it JO was doing more than just helping a mate. In the OP he admits to giving an old boy a 'tip' and this to me is the route cause of the problem and I think the range are not being unreasonable at all.

Svenska

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This kind of happened to me a while back at a range in London. I have tried to get the missus to take up the game as she's got good hand and eye co-ordination and also enjoys watching it on tv (I make her). Anyway I took her down the range several times and she picked up the basics so easily it was almost embarrassing as I was trying to play it down with her as she's so competitive and golf can be so frustrating that I worried if she hit it atrociously that she'd sack it off in a huff.

I went to the range on my own a week or two later and the pro there had a word with me, told me he didn't appreciate me teaching on his patch. I laughed at him and told him he'd do well to hang about for a bit and watch me hit some balls as I evidently wasn't in anyway a pro.

I can kind of see some points of the argument but it really is scandalous if you can't help a mate out or a loved one at your local driving range.

No wonder people are put off by golf and it's rules.

I suspect it won't be long before i'm asking for tips off my bird, I wonder if the said pro will be telling her to bugger off?

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I find this almost sureal.

I do sort of understand the range / Pro being a bit put out if they thought JO was another Pro on their patch but once it was established he was not I just cannot see why they reacted the way they did.

At the range I go to there are lots of people who go down in pairs and 'spot' each other. Some of the best players at my club can be found there on occasions checking each others swings etc. I have watched a couple of time as they stike the ball so well its something to behold.

Although in a very very different category I go there with a mate and if we are stuggling with a shot we talk each other through it and see if w can spot any obvious mistakes. Sure no one is going to mistake us for Pro's (we would be bankrupt) but we have videoed our swings on our phones to show us what we need to work on etc. In fact we are there tonight.

I have also had a few words with some of the good players from my club when down at the range (not attached to the club) who have pointed me in the right direction on a few things

This is useful time to develop a game and try out things.

Seperately I have had lessons and used the Pro (s) from both the range and my club - in between I have worked on the lesson on my own with lots of buckets of balls by myself or when with mates to try and 'groove a swing'

For me its completely normal to work on things on the range and while JO and the people he has been helping have spent several hours there which may be beyond what others would do it seems very very harsh for the range to take this approach to me.

I think that JustOne deserves a GM forum medal for helping out others out of the goodness of his heart and his love of the game.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's a tricky one, but whilst I admire JO's commitment to the cause, if the driving range is also a teaching school then I can see why they wouldn't want someone else muscling in on their business. Granted, if it was a lad and dad or hubby and wife, or even a couple of mates spending an hour being shown how to grip the club, tips on stopping a slice or whatever the basic 'fix' was, then that's one thing, but being there for hours on end, analysing videos etc is a different kettle of fish in my opinion.

There is no real like for like comparison, but the closest comparison I can think of are those nail bars you get in shopping centres. They pay top dollar to hire their little trading space in a prime location. If someone was to rock up, set up a bar and start teaching women (or men, we're all equal) how to do their own nails for free, then I can imagine they'd be pretty narked, and rightly so, even if said teacher had earlier bought some nail varnish off them!

There are plenty of ranges that don't offer lessons so I'm sure you could go there without a problem.

Credit to JO though and I can see your frustrations.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can see both sides of the argument. As a I think I've said, surely the easiest answer was for James and this guy (Steve?) to have a discussion on the phone and see how the land lies after this. If he or the range owners don't want James teaching anyone on the premises then I guess that is their prerogative. I usually find in life that some simple courtesies and open discussion usually finds some degree of middle ground

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
Reading this whole thread I think that it's great that you are doing this JO and to be honest I might get in touch nearer to spring in readyness for the new season. However you are an absolute loon doing this for free. I'd certainly chuck you £50 for helping me out for that many hours.

The way that I see the whole right/wrong thing is like this.

You have a BMW that you want to sell, so you drive it onto your local BMW dealership forecourt and put some numbers in the windscreen.
You become the best salesman BMW has ever seen for one day and exclusively to your own car. You just wouldn't do it. It's that outrageous that you wouldn't even comprehend doing it.

You are doing exactly the same thing at the range where they have a resident pro. You are giving the best lessons that the range has ever seen and taking business away from them. If they had a reputation as the best range around then why wouldn't people drive for two hours for their lessons? Why would they/should they let you carry on doing it?

But how can it be the same, maybe if you wa giving the car away, to a friend, but he wasnt selling a service

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I think that JustOne deserves a GM forum medal for helping out others out of the goodness of his heart and his love of the game.

I was trying to ignore that comment.... but you're so right!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

LOL, just kidding... :thup: (but thanks for the sentiment) :thup:

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
But how can it be the same, maybe if you wa giving the car away, to a friend, but he wasnt selling a service

What I'm getting at is that you would not sell/give away a BMW on their forecourt so why should you do the same with Golf Lessons at the range?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I was trying to ignore that comment.... but you're so right!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

LOL, just kidding... :thup: (but thanks for the sentiment) :thup:

Were you wearing that pink and brown stripped jumper?

That could have been the reason you were ask to leave?:ears:

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What I'm getting at is that you would not sell/give away a BMW on their forecourt so why should you do the same with Golf Lessons at the range?

Because you have no other reason to be on a forecourt other than to look at/buy a car. (Does this apply to non BMW forecourts as well?) Whereas on a driving range, you're not there just to look at lessons or buy lessons! You're there to hit the balls as well!!

Sounds to me like it comes down to him not believing you aren't being paid for it. Did you offer him 50% of what you're charging? ;)

Jay1

Head Pro
Visit site
Been reading this thread since the start and figured I'd at my thoughts.

First off I think it's very generous of JO to offer so much of his time, for what seems nothing else but a love of the game. Very admirable and I think some of the stick dished out in this thread is a little harsh.

As for the rights and wrongs of using the range, it's a tough one. All of the protecting the pro's business arguments have been covered, so I thought I'd add a slightly different slant. the way I see it, a driving range is a practice facility and when you buy a bucket of balls, you are effectively renting a bay to hit those balls and practice your game. So far as I know ranges do not generally have rules about how you go about that practice (aside from saftey issues, like not straying on to the range to retrieve balls). For this reason I feel that banning JO for helping someone get the most out of their practice time is wrong, unless it was a commercial venture, in which case the pro would have every reason to take issue.

How far does it stretch if it is justified in a pro dictating how they allow people to practice on a driving range. Are you only allowed allignement aids bought from their shop. Should they ban the use of video equipment in case that person is then uploading it to a website for either unpaid, or paid tuition on their swing, as surely this would be no different to what JO is doing?

So long as a steady supply of balls are being purchased to cover the normal usage time for the bay, and that by staying for such lengthy periods does not interfere with availability of bays for other users, I cannot see a justifiable reason for what JO is doing being banned.

If money is changing hands for the help being given, I can certainly see why it would be an issue and for that reason can only assume that the pro did not believe that the help was being provided for free. Maybe a link to this thread should be emailed to him?