Farleigh Court Golf Club BANNED me from their driving range today!!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The other week with Virtuocity:

I was at the range all day with Virtuocity, we hit balls probably for 5hrs, for the last hour or so there were a couple of old guys just watching Virtuocity and I hit balls and go thru a few things together (camera, alignment sticks, chatting about swing positions and hitting balls), I had seen one of the old guys really struggling to hit his driver with the few shots he had hit with it. As we were leaving this old guy on the last 'bay' was staring me down as we walked past so I asked him if everything was OK, he asked if I gave lessons and I said no and I wasn't from around here anyway, then I said to him that I'd noticed him struggling with his driver and it was because he was standing very close to it and swinging it too steep like a 9-iron and if he stood away from it a little and swung it on a bit of a flatter plane he'd hit it better - Virtuocity and I left and we went home.

Wednesday:

At the range with Jimbooo when the head pro Steve Stiller came zipping down to the range on his golf buggy came straight over to me and ask if I was a PGA pro, I said that I wasn't and he said because if I was I had to leave as they don't allow other PGA pros to come and use their facilities for teaching their own student privately. I assured him that I wasn't and that I was just there teaching my mate Jimboo as I had already done 3 or 4 times previously, he said that he didn't believe me and we discussed how he didn't think I would be there for free but conceded that there was no way that either of us could prove it either way however he'd heard that I'd offered to give one of his members a lesson (eh?) I was pretty surprised at this but did explain the old guy who was standing too close to his driver and it was just a 'tip' as I was already leaving. I explained that I had/have no intention on teaching anyone from Farleigh Court Golf Club as they are the 'property of the club' so to speak and I respect the fact that the pros have to make a living, however the person I was currently there with (Jimbooo) wouldn't drive to Farleigh for a 30 minute lesson as he wanted to spend the time with me at the range and then we would probably play 18 holes after (which we did). Steve Stiller seemed pretty reasonable and said OK, no problem, if you're not a pro and you're not charging then so be it. I then told him i had arranged to meet someone else this coming Saturday (today) and he said that was OK but not to teach his members - I explained that I normally keep myself to myself and I wouldn't approach any anyway, in fact if they asked I would refer them straight to the club pros, of course!!

Saturday (today)

Went to the range with 'Midnight' (he's a policeman so I know he'll back me up on this in a court of law!!! LOL), he'd left his house at 5.30am to get to the range to meet me (over a 2hr drive). I got there and we headed to the range at 9.15am, about 11.30am Steve Stiller the head professional at Farleigh Court Golf Club came zipping down to the range on his golf buggy, straight over to me and said "You can't teach here any more" I asked why and he said that he didn't want me teaching his members (which I wasn't) and that he couldn't believe that I was teaching all day FOR FREE and that I wasn't to come there any more to use the driving range. I explained my love for the game and that people ask to spend time with me and I just do it as a hobby because I WANT TO but he wasn't having any of it, I explained that Midnight had driven for over 2hrs to meet me and that he'd NEVER drive that far just to get a 30 minute lesson which is why I'm prepared to spend all day if necessary - to which he basically looked at me like I was mad and said that he didn't believe me and that I wasn't there for free. Once again I pointed out that Midnight had driven for over 2hrs and would it be possible for us to at least finish out our day as it would be unfair if he had to drive that far for nothing - we stayed until it got dark.

So there you go.... If I was a PGA qualified I'm not allowed to even be there to use their facilities,...

and as an amateur they don't want me there teaching my 'friends, family, colleagues, or anyone else who knows me... for free!!! (which they don't believe anyway!)

Can't be there as a pro, can't be there as an amateur - Snookered!!!!

(That was a bit of a read, sorry 'bout that, just wanted to get it down in words)

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Jimbooo was literally about to 'POP' on Wednesday. He was really angry, not just with the pro, but with the 'system'.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's difficult, you seem to enjoy helping your friends and maybe see it as giving the driving range business which is understandable.

They may look at it as they have a business and anyone teaching on their range reflects on their business and themselves, whether you are a PGA pro from elsewhere or a well meaning amateur is only part of the argument. They might view it as a positive or a negative. It seems in this case it was a negative.

It might have helped if you'd warned or asked them in advance and they could have explained to any members asking what was happening.

Maybe you could try a few other ranges around you, explain what you'd like to do, when and for how long and hopefully for you their may be some that are more amenable to your requirements.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
^
^
^
I agree. In the time I've been there I have been asked by at least 8/9 people if I'm a new addition to the teaching staff to which I've replied politely "No sorry, I'm just here teaching a friend" (one asked this evening in fact as Midnight and I were leaving).

Talking to one of my colleagues this evening on the phone said it might be because people are going into the pro shop and either asking for a lesson with me (and finding out that I don't work there) or asking the pros in the shop why they don't receive such 'good service' when they have their own lessons - I can see why this might cause a problem. When we're there EVERYONE watches.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It may be worth talking to someone about the law of competition and whether the range can lawfully interject with your coaching. There are various UK and EU laws that regulate competition, maybe a word with CAB would help.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
It may be worth talking to someone about the law of competition and whether the range can lawfully interject with your coaching. There are various UK and EU laws that regulate competition, maybe a word with CAB would help.

I don't like to complain :whistle:

Right now I'm just annoyed, really rather annoyed... let's say you went there for a day with Snelly so he could teach you his way of swinging the club (which is nice) and you were there for 5/6hrs chatting and he was watching you hit balls and videoing you on his iPhone..... do you think he should be told to leave and he couldn't 'teach' his friend? maybe they would think he was charging if he was there for more than a couple of hours, after all you have to be MAD to give up your time for FREE!!! :confused:

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mmm a tricky one. I can sort of understand their view but you're not teaching their members. Also how many buckets do you get through? Surley that's extra income they wouldn't be getting!

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com
Do the teaching pros there pay a rent or percentage to the range?
I can't imaging a teaching pro having an issue with a couple amateurs helping each other while practicing together, but planned coaching may be an issue.
If I was the Head Pro there, I would be concerned. I'd want to know what you were doing and what you were teaching, it may reflect on the business.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't like to complain :whistle:

Right now I'm just annoyed, really rather annoyed... let's say you went there for a day with Snelly so he could teach you his way of swinging the club (which is nice) and you were there for 5/6hrs chatting and he was watching you hit balls and videoing you on his iPhone..... do you think he should be told to leave and he couldn't 'teach' his friend? maybe they would think he was charging if he was there for more than a couple of hours, after all you have to be MAD to give up your time for FREE!!! :confused:

I think the devil may be in the detail. They should have terms and conditions (They probably don't though) if they do then it should have an explanation on whether private coaching is prohibited. If they do it does not mean this is legal though.

I would be inclined to ask them for a copy of their Terms and Conditions as you wish to refer their actions to the relevant authorities on the basis of restricted practice.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If you are seen as any sort of threat to their business and on their property, then I'm not surprised they reacted the way they did.

You should probably find a 'friendly' range and get approval first.

The range I used to practice at in Warrington had a couple of Pros come and teach. Not sure whether they were PGA qualified or not, but it shows it can be arranged. It could well just be a case of putting your diplomat hat on and getting it Ok-ed - and the story for 'interested observers' straight. Thought of using your own, or even previous, club's facility?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Too small, can't hit more than a 7-iron on the practice ground. No range, poor chipping facilities (at either course).

Interesting choice of clubs then. Several holes you decidedly dislike and pretty poor practice facilities. Must be either very cheap or very close.

Time to get on the phone and find a friendly range?.

You might find there are some bureaucracy issues too.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Interesting choice of clubs then. Several holes you decidedly dislike and pretty poor practice facilities. Must be either very cheap or very close.
Cheap enough, and close. It's fine for me as I don't need the practice facilities because I just go out and play, and it's very friendly, but if you were going to go there to teach someone for the day it's very limited. There's nowhere for them to practice their drives, the practice ground is cramped and you have to pick up your own balls (which is dodgy at the best of times if someone else is there!), but as I say, it's OK for me (and I rarely practice anyway) :mad: