Ex-prisoners trying to sell you stuff at your front door

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Anyone else get these where they live?

It seems that once every few weeks I get one. Had one last night. Always the same time, just when I'm about to get my kids tea on!

Last night I was greeted by a young lad in his late teens or early 20s, who grinned a big toothless grin at me and very politely gave me a sob story about having made some mistakes, wanting to better himself etc etc. He was selling stuff from a backpack (don't know what), no pressure at all. As said, very polite.

I do agree with people being given a second chance in life. We're not all blessed with a decent upbringing and all the rest of it. However, I'm not sure I agree with this sort of approach. Has it been shown to really help? I never buy from them and always say I'm right in the middle of getting my kids dinner (which I always am, actually!). But I don't know if that makes me harsh? If I gave him a few quid for whatever crap he was selling and a few other people did as well, would it actually help him stay out of jail?

Or is this approach all just a big con? Do you/would you buy from these people?

Thoughts welcome. (y)

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Google "Nottingham knockers" and that will give you some interesting reading.

Just have done and found this article.

https://www.safelocaltrades.com/consumers/advice/doorstep-pedlars

Worrying stuff! The above descibes them absolutely perfectly - though whenever they've been to mine they've always been very polite and no-pressure.

Shows how naive I am to be feeling sorry for them! :eek:

Was just talking to a colleague of mine about this. She says whenever she answers the door to them she just says "Sorry, I won't be able to buy anything from you as I never carry any cash." I thought that was quite a good line, I'll be using it in future.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We have had these type of calls quite often, never buy anything .Also the benefit of having two large dogs who go wild if anyone comes to the door or even though the front gates... scares any unwelcome visitors

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The story could be totally made up for all you know. And the stuff they're selling stolen. I certainly wouldn't buy from someone who randomly knocks on my door like that.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The story could be totally made up for all you know. And the stuff they're selling stolen. I certainly wouldn't buy from someone who randomly knocks on my door like that.

I apply it to all that turn up on our doorstep - gas/electric/sky/virgin/british red cross/oxfam - they all get a no thanks from me.

Visit site
Anyone else get these where they live?

It seems that once every few weeks I get one. Had one last night. Always the same time, just when I'm about to get my kids tea on!

Last night I was greeted by a young lad in his late teens or early 20s, who grinned a big toothless grin at me and very politely gave me a sob story about having made some mistakes, wanting to better himself etc etc. He was selling stuff from a backpack (don't know what), no pressure at all. As said, very polite.

I do agree with people being given a second chance in life. We're not all blessed with a decent upbringing and all the rest of it. However, I'm not sure I agree with this sort of approach. Has it been shown to really help? I never buy from them and always say I'm right in the middle of getting my kids dinner (which I always am, actually!). But I don't know if that makes me harsh? If I gave him a few quid for whatever crap he was selling and a few other people did as well, would it actually help him stay out of jail?

Or is this approach all just a big con? Do you/would you buy from these people?

Thoughts welcome. (y)

Funnily enough we had these earlier this week, first time in a couple of years I think.

It was a similar sob story about prison, making mistakes (but not hurting anyone!). I just politely declined with a "sorry not interested, but good luck" and he went off. I did notice there were a couple of them on the street.

Like Marshy77 above, everyone who just randomly knocks at the door get a "no thanks".

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
My other half works with ex offenders but her organisation don't use this process. Instead they try to find them proper jobs and work with local businesses to place them in the best role for their skills and needs.
Our local council gives out free stickers to put on our front doors so we really now don't get hit with these.
If someone still decides to knock I politely point out the sticker with particular reference to the bottom line.
They're particularly useful for vulnerable people living on their own.
download.jpg

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
My other half works with ex offenders but her organisation don't use this process. Instead they try to find them proper jobs and work with local businesses to place them in the best role for their skills and needs.
Our local council gives out free stickers to put on our front doors so we really now don't get hit with these.
If someone still decides to knock I politely point out the sticker with particular reference to the bottom line.
They're particularly useful for vulnerable people living on their own.
View attachment 25592
We have one of these and it normally works. On the odd occasion that someone thinks it doesn't apply to them I just point to it as they start talking..

I imagine that it's hard getting back on your feet after being inside but cold-calling really isn't the way to do it.
People are so wary of scammers these days, although many aren't, that idling they'd do much business anyway..

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Had one the other day, first one on in a while. An immediate and firm "sorry, not interested but good luck" gets rid before any conversation can start. I'm very skeptical by nature!