Perceived Forgiveness..... Part II

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Good point, if players clubs make you happy I'd advise anyone to go for them, golf should be enjoyable! I think the point is that by buying players club it won't automatically make you a better golfer, only hard work will do that.

And likewise, buying GI clubs won't automatically make you better, only hard work will do that

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting thread.

In terms of what difference more forgiving clubs woud make to my handicap I'd say not much. Of course I'd struggle with a set of pure blades but as my handicap is based on my good play I don't think having more forgiveness than my current set would significantly help me on a good day. The days I just miss the buffer are mostly due to poor driving or putting. On the bad days then yes, a more forgiving club might save a few shots, but only to the extent that I'd miss the buffer by a few less.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes looks do play a small part, but really functionality must be the key deciding factor IMHO. I saw a guy playing with beautiful Nike Blades a while back, he couldn't hit them for toffee, but they looked nice!! whats the point in that?

The game is hard enough as it is, choose the tools that make the game as easy as possible for your game.

Horses for courses, but the first reply on this thread sums it up for me.

The game of golf is hard enough! To answer Gareth's actual question, I believe my irons do save me shots in terms if my handicap. Arguably 2 or more? But I do wield G20 tree-slayers...

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I belive you could easily cut a couple of shots off my using more forgining clubs.

True you like the smaller head etc etc, but you must hit the odd bad shot or 3 in every round, the results from a GI irons are far less harsh too.

better player clubs are great, but are you trying to shap shots all the time?

As you know i switched from a MP62 this year to GI clubs and the game is so much easiler with them.

are they easy to shape on the odd occ i need to, no but i can just about manage, the only issue is high and low shots..

the only fault is the go high and straight, not a bad fault i might add.

That's a big claim. A couple of shots just by changing to GI clubs? Surely it depends on the player. If your ball striking isn't all that then maybe a t push a couple of shots might be possible but if your ball striking is good, I can't see them making much if any difference, I certainly don't think changing to GI clubs would make me a 5 or 6 handicapper.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was going to abstain but like my original post there's always for and against arguments....

I dont think that putting Bigger headed irons in my hands will save me shots.. And if we are all honest I think every club manufactured today has some sort of forgiveness built into it.. regardless of whether it's a blade or a shovel..
where I differ in opinion is what the OEM's try and push about forgiveness.......

At this time of the year if your not swinging well then yes a GI club may help... Especially with ground contact.... A more bladey type of iron will dig..... As I said before I use a semi blade type players iron.... I like it's look it's neat and I hit the sweet spot on 99% of hits..... My miss is usually a little thin bit they'll even still get out there... I trust them.. I know my distances and I use stiff shafts because I know my swing speed is high enough to warrant them... If I miss a green it's usually by a few yards and normally below a 7 iron distance.....

Do I think GI clubs would help me hit more GIR?... I don't know...... I don't use the club's I use for vanity purposes or to have people talk about my bag on the first tee... I use them because I like the look and they work for me...... Iv tried Pings G series clubs and couldn't get on with them....
I think where GI clubs maybe of benefit is if your all over the face.. then you'll probably gain a little more distance over a player's type club.....

But think of it this way... A bunker front and right of the green.. your 150 from the middle.. you catch your players iron just on the toe and you loose maybe 12-15 yards... You have that same shot with the GI club with the same impact and I'd nearly say you'll be in the sand.....

Also I think that those that say you can't bend a GI club because of offset is untrue.... Offset is in clubs to help with launch and to an extent may help a player with a slice to an extent.... But I'll bet both players and GI can be curved.. it's maybe a little easier with a player's iron...I think the workability argument comes down to height and distance control.... I want my PW to go no more than 108 mtrs that's as far as I hit it with control... I don't want to be hitting it 110 mtrs on one hit and 130 on another... I think where players irons fair our better than GI irons in the forgiveness battles are in distance control.. I'll take my Wilson's all day long for that reason.... Just my 2cents....

Last edited:

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I feel more confident with a smaller headed iron and that's why I have just bought a set of Nike Pro Combo CB irons (No blades) I have hit a couple of hundred balls with my demo Nike 6 iron over the last few days on and off the course and I hit it better than my Burners. I hit one clean out of the toe yesterday but it still launched and achieved all but 10 yards. I've got to wait till XMAS to use the Nikes and I'm dreading going back to the Burners for a few weeks.

And nothing against Homer but hasn't his HCP increased since switching to GI G25's?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
That's a big claim. A couple of shots just by changing to GI clubs? Surely it depends on the player. If your ball striking isn't all that then maybe a t push a couple of shots might be possible but if your ball striking is good, I can't see them making much if any difference, I certainly don't think changing to GI clubs would make me a 5 or 6 handicapper.

I think that would take a Miracle not golf clubs;)

you already have GI clubs, those things you have are deff not blades;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

I used to play with Nike Ignites -and got to a handicap of 16 with them ( started at 24 5 years ago ).

2 years ago i went to a fitting sessions and ended up with the TM TPMC i have now - since then my handicap has gone from 16 to 5 which it is now. That has happened for a number of reasons - i remodelled my swing (myself ) , i got better around the greens , i started hitting the ball a lot further of the tee and my iron play improved remarkably - that imo was a factor of better irons for me and practice. I believe my Ignites took me as far as i could go in terms of handicap, the new irons helped me improve further.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
And nothing against Homer but hasn't his HCP increased since switching to GI G25's?

Please read the post again. I've said the changes are taking longer to filter into competitive play (confidence and trust) and struggling with the short game. I've said numerous times 2013 has been a disappointment but the ball striking and swing is better and I just need to get rid of the killer hole to hit buffers and beyond. At least I'm honest about my game!

Linnets

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played with TM R7 TP's for years always thinking I would get better with them but I was just too inconsistent so I tried a few GI clubs and settled on the Cobra Bafflers I currently have in the bag (I'm the first to admit they are pig ugly though).
After years stuck on 28 hcp, largely due to lack of interest as a result of not improving I have knocked 6 shots off this year and I definitely put that down to how easy these clubs are to hit and how forgiving they are with off centre strikes. I shall continue to play with them until it gets to the point where I think they may be holding me back (if they ever do).

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The toughest part of my change from blades to the zing2s was my short game lost feel and became more mechanical, I did keep a bladed sand iron though. I eventually became more of a one wedge player as opposed to going up and down my scoring irons and pitching and rolling. But when you go from hitting an 8 iron 150 yards to a 9 iron, hitting greens from 170 yards in was quite straight forward, and believe me that makes a massive difference to your scores. Sadly though age has degraded my distances but the equipment is fantastic compared to 20 yrs ago...

Alan P Mills

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Please read the post again. I've said the changes are taking longer to filter into competitive play (confidence and trust) and struggling with the short game. I've said numerous times 2013 has been a disappointment but the ball striking and swing is better and I just need to get rid of the killer hole to hit buffers and beyond. At least I'm honest about my game!

Keep at it Homer, it will come in time. I struggled last year and year before going from 19 up to 20, it then all clicked this year and I'm down to 14.8. Never give up dude. :D

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Woah take a chill Homer... If GI irons are supposed to save you shots then you would be playing of single figures now surely. May I ask if the ball striking is good then why the GI irons? One last thing why have a full bag custom fit while going through such big changes? Would it not have been better to have the fit when you are comfortable with your new swing?

To add yes you are totally honest about your game and I wouldn't question anything you post about your game. No need to get defensive Homer I'm just stating that GI clubs have not knocked shots of your game this season.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Interesting thread for me this as I'm thinking about getting smoe new irons after Christmas.

I've never been fitted before so the chance to try different clubs on a monitor and see the difference is something I'm looking forward to.

I've had three sets of irons over my golfing life and none were fitted, or even tried out before buying;
First were some McGregor irons from Argos around 1980, I can't remember what style they were but given the date I'd say they were probably bladish.
Next set were Ben Sayers Powerpact Oversize, bought second hand without trying them out around the year 2000, these were a cavity back club.
Current set, Mizuno MX23, were bought second hand from ebay in 2008, again without trying them.

I like to hit a straight shot and rarely feel the need to shape a shot, in fact probably the only time is when I've put myself behind a tree. On that basis from what I'm reading a GI set would suit me best.
But on the other hand I hit a high ball, too high for my liking, and the low CoG of a GI set would apparently make my shots even higher, so a GI set would not be my choice. :confused:

The above and how easy I find the various clubs are to hit will be most interesting, can't wait for the New Year. :)

Last edited:

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I change irons next year (please sign off the new role please boss!!!) then I will be going to bigger cavities in the longer irons for a bit more help. I get enjoyment from my golf by signing for low scores, not from somebody looking in my bag and telling me I have lovely blades that I've chunked all round the place.

As for shaping shots - behave yourself, you've watched too much TV.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
One last thing why have a full bag custom fit while going through such big changes? Would it not have been better to have the fit when you are comfortable with your new swing?

To add yes you are totally honest about your game and I wouldn't question anything you post about your game. No need to get defensive Homer I'm just stating that GI clubs have not knocked shots of your game this season.

Had the fit in June after the work was done. Like I've said ad infinitum the problem has been transferring it into comps. Currently off 8 in the roll up after a couple of recent wins so progress being made. Just struggling to trust it plus the short game issues have crucified my competitive record. Unbeaten at home in club matches (4BBB) and a few away wins too so definitely on the right path. Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forward. Just ask a certain Mr Woods down at 74 whatever and apparently washed up. Seems to have come good again. On a more realistic level, plenty on here had swing changes and struggled but kept plugging away and reaping the rewards now. Patience and belief. So what if I've gone up (10-11 technically so hardly a major crisis and even 10-12 isn't the end of the world). I take it you've never had a shot back or gone through a slump. I bow to your superior ability

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Had the fit in June after the work was done. Like I've said ad infinitum the problem has been transferring it into comps. Currently off 8 in the roll up after a couple of recent wins so progress being made. Just struggling to trust it plus the short game issues have crucified my competitive record. Unbeaten at home in club matches (4BBB) and a few away wins too so definitely on the right path. Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forward. Just ask a certain Mr Woods down at 74 whatever and apparently washed up. Seems to have come good again. On a more realistic level, plenty on here had swing changes and struggled but kept plugging away and reaping the rewards now. Patience and belief. So what if I've gone up (10-11 technically so hardly a major crisis and even 10-12 isn't the end of the world). I take it you've never had a shot back or gone through a slump. I bow to your superior ability

No need to be childish Homer...

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've posted numerous on here over the years and the vultures all took their meat although to be fair on occasions they were invited to the feast by me. I've deliberately not posted anything I've worked on in 2013 as I did take a confidence hit the last time I posted with lots seemingly ignoring what I posted I was working on and generally knocking it just because.

In simple terms the club was travelling to much in and up an down motion and exiting too far right and leading to a high Monty like finish (without the grouchiness or the talent) and was leading to a myriad of bad shots and playing courses like in military (left/right fashion). Swing was way too shallow and too flippy with the hands. Started off on a more one plane and therefore more rounded swing and LOADS of work done on exiting lower and left which has been the biggest issue. I've controlled the missed to one side of the course and know why I miss. The swing is evolving and is more a one and a half plane with the plan to get to a two plane action this winter and a steeper AoA

quite sad to hear that people feel the need to have a pop at your swing. this place should be for encouragement, not negativity.

good luck with your winter work. hope it comes together for you. playing to singles is simply keeping it in play off the tee and scrambling the pars when you miss the green. you cant be far off as it is, so keep working on the chipping. i'm am regularly all over the place off the tee but scramble like a gooden to get it round in and around handicap. driving is my vice :(