Package set - which to buy?

DH88

Visit site
Hi,

This might be a topic that is broached quite frequently but I’m struggling to make a decision on which clubs to buy.

I have played on/off for a few years now (only really 4-5 times a year, though) but this year I’ve been playing a lot more and have found myself getting the bug. I’ve only ever owned a mixture of used clubs that have all seen better days and so I’m wanting to take the plunge on buying a new set. I am still playing below average (consistently shooting around 110) and so I’m only looking at buying a package set in a beginners budget range.

I currently have my eye on either:

Wilson Deep Red Tour Package 2019 (£400) - https://www.americangolf.co.uk/golf-clubs/package-sets/wilson-deep-red-tour-package-2019-343748.html

or

Wilson Ultra XD Steel Package Set (£300) - https://www.americangolf.co.uk/golf-clubs/package-sets/wilson-ultra-xd-steel-package-set-358394.html

or

Wilson Tour RX Golf Package (£280) - https://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acatalog/Wilson-Tour-RX-Golf-Package-Set-Steel-Stand-Bag.html

Basically, I’m wondering whether the extra £100 is really going to make much difference for someone at my level or whether I should just stick to one of the cheaper options?

I’ve tried reading around as much as I can but most articles I find with recommended package sets are ones that are no longer available to purchase, unfortunately. I’ve also seen a few posts on here recommending taking the approach of buying used clubs in good condition but I feel as though as that is a bit of a minefield (to someone with very limited knowledge on the subject) so I think I’d feel much more comfortable in taking the package set approach just to get me going in (hopefully) the right direction.

Any help on this would be massively appreciated - I’m tearing my hair out with the amount of reading I've been doing and not really feeling much the wiser!

EDIT: I realise that people might not know about these specific clubs but I'm wondering more along the lines of what might justify the difference in price between the sets (considering they're all made by the same brand) and whether the difference is something that would be of any benefit to someone at my level.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you're determined to get a 'starter set' then you might as well get the cheapest one, because within a year you'll have your head turned by better clubs you want to buy, and you won't get much value in selling your starter set on. So the less outlay the better I would say.

DH88

Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys, it's much appreciated. I'm still umm'ing and ahh'ing about which direction to go in to be honest, the re-sell factor is something I've been thinking about too (which does sway me away from the package sets) - I'll keep thinking it over through the week but thanks for taking the time to give some advice.