European Super League

D

Deleted member 16999

Why when one of us outside the 6 are commenting the bias and bitchy accusations start flying around.

Believe it or not it is possible to make a comment or judgement from a neutral view point, sadly most comments are read on the back foot.

Would of Everton benefitted from the ESL going ahead? From what we were told absolutely, Would the PL suffer if the 6 were thrown out (stupid suggestion) short term most definitely.

Now ask yourselves why the ESL failed, if it was to everybodies benefit what are we missing? We obviously have different views on why.

Sadly some who are defending the no points, no ban punishment (who I actually agree with) were very vocal on here along with some of their fans on other media platforms wanting bans points deductions etc for other Clubs when their owners etc have stepped out of line. I’ve never seen anyone on here express any sympathy for the fans/players/managers of other Clubs of team who have suffered from the mis-behaviour of owners.

There needs to be a response and some action against these 6, just the same as I would want if it Everton had been involved.

Try reading posts instead of the poster, we all do it, we do it to those we’ve met and to those we haven’t.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Even though I don't support any of the "big 6" i would not view taking action against them as a way forward. They are all apologetic to their fans and football generally and in some ways i dont blame them for trying to grab the carrot dangled before them.

I'd put in to place a set of rules for the future ensuring that clandestine meetings and legal agreements entered into would , in future, bring heavy sanctions and leave it there.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I very much doubt many fans would have wanted to see Portsmouth punished for the actions of the owners - but unfortunately the punishments for the rules they broke were there. I don’t believe a club going into administration should also be given points deductions. Points deductions should Imo be only in place for cheating

Maybe not Portsmouth, but I can tell you with bitter experience that many fans of other teams were delighted when Leeds were deducted 15 points at the start of to 07/08 season.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If wagging a finger at a club and telling them not to be naughty is the only action against them then clubs really will not be afraid of breaking rules in future. There has to be a disincentive out there and it has to mean something.

RichA

Visit site
Apologise. Don't do it again. Move on. Improve.
Can't see any other solution that's proportionate.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yeah, it will; it'll sting the Premier League who will lose their 6 biggest draw teams, and consequently affect revenue streams, potentially for 3 or 4 seasons until they all get back in. That will affect incomes for the remaining 14. The remaining 14 will also potentially lose transfer revenue as the "Big 6" will be unlikely to buy from them or pay the previous prices; great if the other 14 can survive without that revenue, but can they?

I know it’s a bit “cutting off your nose to spite your face” but is it right for these teams to still be competing in a league they were trying to cripple last week or trying to get in the CL a competition they were trying to destroy last week?

I think the old “you need us more than we need you” way of thinking needs to be tested by the 14 clubs the pig 6 were trying to stitch up. Be an interesting next meeting of the prem league clubs.

(I still think they will come out of it with a suspended sentence and more money though ?)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I know it’s a bit “cutting off your nose to spite your face” but is it right for these teams to still be competing in a league they were trying to cripple last week or trying to get in the CL a competition they were trying to destroy last week?

I think the old “you need us more than we need you” way of thinking needs to be tested by the 14 clubs the pig 6 were trying to stitch up. Be an interesting next meeting of the prem league clubs.

(I still think they will come out of it with a suspended sentence and more money though ?)

There was no intent imo by the big 6 to destroy the 14, that may have been a consequence, but clearly not the reason, for the plan

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If wagging a finger at a club and telling them not to be naughty is the only action against them then clubs really will not be afraid of breaking rules in future. There has to be a disincentive out there and it has to mean something.

What rule have they broken?

That has to be established before punishment can be determined. Indiscriminate punishments are not effective disincentives, and tend to lead to increasingly worse behaviour in reply.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The premier league.
quote from Wikipedia.
The competition was founded as the FA Premier League on 20 February 1992 following the decision of clubs in the Football League First Division to break away from the Football League, founded in 1888, and take advantage of a lucrative television rights deal.[2] The deal was worth around £1 billion a year domestically as of 2013–14, with Sky and BT Group securing the domestic rights to broadcast 116 and 38 games respectively.[3]

The formation of the Premier league was all about getting more money for the top clubs. They broke away. Am sure the rest of the football league clubs were not happy. The “ top six” tried doing something very similar in a sense of getting more money. No one is going to convince me it was in order to “ save the game”. Ave said before, the hypocrisy of Clubs, leagues etc is disgusting.

D

Deleted member 16999

The premier league.
quote from Wikipedia.
The competition was founded as the FA Premier League on 20 February 1992 following the decision of clubs in the Football League First Division to break away from the Football League, founded in 1888, and take advantage of a lucrative television rights deal.[2] The deal was worth around £1 billion a year domestically as of 2013–14, with Sky and BT Group securing the domestic rights to broadcast 116 and 38 games respectively.[3]

The formation of the Premier league was all about getting more money for the top clubs. They broke away. Am sure the rest of the football league clubs were not happy. The “ top six” tried doing something very similar in a sense of getting more money. No one is going to convince me it was in order to “ save the game”. Ave said before, the hypocrisy of Clubs, leagues etc is disgusting.
Bit disingenious to cut and paste part of wiki tash, the TV deal in 1992 was £304 million over 5 years, yes a hideous sum and yes part greed, but look at the background as to why? The Taylor Report had come out, Stadiums had to be improved, who was going to pay? I’d guess the Football Fan and without that change some Clubs may of gone under.

The so called “big 5” then also brought along 17 other Clubs in to the Premier League, didn’t want seperate competitions and increased relegation promotion with no one immune.

What they envisaged then to what we have now is beyond all recognition.

As I posted earlier, no doubt the ESL believed everyone would benefit from their seperation, but to me it was more than money, the formation of the PL was to benefit English football, not 9 other Clubs around Europe.

One further point, ( not aimed at you Tash) back in 18/19 when the charges against City for breaking the ffp system were brought, people also wanted City done for the legal loopholes they’d circumvented as well, so if it was ok to want to throw the book at them for that, I can understand people wanting action against the 6, even if proved they broke no rules.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
But again as I say Paul, it was all about more money for the top clubs.After the taylor report came out, it was not just clubs in the new prem that needed updating.
Re the super league, what has gone mostly unnoticed is UEFAS new champions league format that has been “ agreed”. It has been labelled as the slightly lesser of the two evils.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
There was no intent imo by the big 6 to destroy the 14, that may have been a consequence, but clearly not the reason, for the plan

I did say destroy the CL...I don’t believe they intended to destroy the 14 but any halfwit could see it would have a massive impact on them.

D

Deleted member 16999

But again as I say Paul, it was all about more money for the top clubs.After the taylor report came out, it was not just clubs in the new prem that needed updating.
Re the super league, what has gone mostly unnoticed is UEFAS new champions league format that has been “ agreed”. It has been labelled as the slightly lesser of the two evils.
Just like now, something needed to change, the PL stayed within English Football and the game grew, the ESL doesn’t and didn’t, I personally think it stinks our Club were more interested in giving foreign clubs a larger slice to help them grow and at the same time giving less to those English Clubs they have a 133yrs of shared history with.

I don’t care how foreign clubs cope and the ESL was focussed on them.

As for the new CL that has been done from within and if the members are not happy they need to change from how they vote, it’s not 6 or 7 FA’s breaking away from UEFA and making their own CL and just expecting it to be ok.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What rule have they broken?

That has to be established before punishment can be determined. Indiscriminate punishments are not effective disincentives, and tend to lead to increasingly worse behaviour in reply.
Post #327. Rule L.9

20210421_221657-jpg.36288

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

They still intended competing in the Premier League so they are hardly trying to cripple that; they were looking like leaving the Champions League just as UEFA was going to change the competition to add an extra 100 games and a further 4 teams. Were UEFA doing that to save football or out of the same pure greed that the "Big 6" have been accused of?

For clarification, that is not to say that two wrongs make a right; I'm just pointing out that whilst the teams involved are rightly being vilified, UEFA seem to be getting a pass.

As for the greed aspect, if the figures I have seen were correct & panned out, the ESL was offering to give back to football a sum 67% above that which UEFA currently provide. Who's greedy... :unsure: