European Super League

D

Deleted member 16999

Last edited by a moderator:

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I’ve already said under this thread, by deducting points and banning clubs from the CL, you punish the players, managers and fans. None of this is their doing. Why should I be prevented from watching my club fighting for a title or competing in Europe because of my club owners’ greed?

Many of you seem to forget, supporters of some of these clubs despise their owners. I wouldn’t give the Glazers the steam off my ?. I’m delighted to see Woodward going, but it’s the Glazer family I want rid of.

The authorities have to find a way of directly punishing the owners.

The vast majority of punishments and penalties given to football clubs for malpractice or rule-breaking affects the fans even though it’s not their fault (ask Rangers fans)

As a fan you reap the rewards of having greedy money sucking sociopaths at the top of your club that are rich beyond belief unfortunately when they over step you need to take the bad with the good

Imo best drop them down a divi or 20 points deducted this season and 20 points next season that should sting a little.

I would say you could slam the owners with the "fit & proper" test and then find them all, well "unfit"...after all they tried to upset a competition that they themselves are part of. So I can't imagine anyone being more unsuitable than a "saboteur".

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve already said under this thread, by deducting points and banning clubs from the CL, you punish the players, managers and fans. None of this is their doing. Why should I be prevented from watching my club fighting for a title or competing in Europe because of my club owners’ greed?

Many of you seem to forget, supporters of some of these clubs despise their owners. I wouldn’t give the Glazers the steam off my ?. I’m delighted to see Woodward going, but it’s the Glazer family I want rid of.

The authorities have to find a way of directly punishing the owners.

The problem with this argument is that a club going into administration isn't the fault of the "players, managers or fans" but there is still a points deduction for it. "None of this is their doing". Almost every punishment that is dished out to clubs affects those groups, even if they weren't responsible for it. This to me smacks of hypocrisy from some fans of the big 6 clubs. All of a sudden you shouldn't punish the fans because of the actions of the clubs' owners. Where were those feelings when clubs such as Portsmouth were being deducted points because of what their owners' had done? It seems like double standards that all of a sudden the fans shouldn't be punished for the actions of the owners just because it's the big 6.

D

Deleted member 15344

The problem with this argument is that a club going into administration isn't the fault of the "players, managers or fans" but there is still a points deduction for it. "None of this is their doing". Almost every punishment that is dished out to clubs affects those groups, even if they weren't responsible for it. This to me smacks of hypocrisy from some fans of the big 6 clubs. All of a sudden you shouldn't punish the fans because of the actions of the clubs' owners. Where were those feelings when clubs such as Portsmouth were being deducted points because of what their owners' had done? It seems like double standards that all of a sudden the fans shouldn't be punished for the actions of the owners just because it's the big 6.

I very much doubt many fans would have wanted to see Portsmouth punished for the actions of the owners - but unfortunately the punishments for the rules they broke were there. I don’t believe a club going into administration should also be given points deductions. Points deductions should Imo be only in place for cheating

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I very much doubt many fans would have wanted to see Portsmouth punished for the actions of the owners - but unfortunately the punishments for the rules they broke were there. I don’t believe a club going into administration should also be given points deductions. Points deductions should Imo be only in place for cheating

pretty sure @SaintHacker wouldve :)

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

What are the punishments in place for breaking the PL rule L9? I've not seen them spelled out anywhere but I assume that if it says that the punishment for breaking that rule is relegation from the PL and a 20 point deduction at the start of the following season you will fully support that action, as "unfortunately the punishments for the rules they broke were there".

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

Agreed. Points deductions have always struck me as unfair. I don’t know enough about sanctions for insolvency, breaches of salary caps and so on to compare these with the ESL.

But I do not agree with any sanction which directly impacts upon fans. It seems overly simplistic to say that, as a United fan, I reap the benefits of the Glazer family’s previous financial “dabbling” and should therefore pick up the tab when it all goes belly up - I just want to watch 22 blokes kicking a bag of wind around a pitch on a Saturday afternoon.

I accept I have the rose tinted specs on, but the working man and woman who simply wants to watch football should not pay the price for decisions made by faceless business people, especially when those decisions are made solely for personal gain.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Honestly, I simply wouldn’t answer any of his posts if they weren’t in reply to mine. I have previous experience and it’s not pleasant. He answered my very innocuous post and came straight out with the assertion that I didn’t understand how the Premier League works. It’s all there, you can read it. After that I think I have the right to reply, which I did, politely. Unfortunately the conversation decended from there so I asked him to just leave it and that I would do the same. Sadly it seems he was unable to do that. I ignored his response, so he referred to me in a post to someone else. I answered him and requested he leave it again and he wouldn’t. That is classic trolling. I am sorry if you disagree. You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that.
I have been on this forum for 8 years and I have had some great debates and indeed some right ding dongs in that time, particularly over Brexit. Never have I had to speak to a moderator or had to put a fellow forummer on ignore. Not once.
If I am honest, I haven’t posted on here for some while because the last time he had a go the moderators had to get involved by PM. The episode was unpleasant and upsetting. We worked it out between us by PM but TBH I didn’t want to risk a repeat episode. I was right to be cautious. It happened on practically the first post I made since.
Such unpleasantness sucks the enjoyment out of the forum. That’s why political posts were banned, I am sure. Part of me thinks I should just leave it, part of me questions why I should be bullied off posting. You say, I should sit in the corner quietly. Why should I? Is his opinion worth more than mine? Honestly, I don’t mind arguing with him. I will stand my ground. I don’t mind alternative opinions. I just don’t think every discussion needs to be an argument and I am pretty sure other forumers don’t want to read two people having a go at each other.
I am sorry to put this in public, but you did ask and I am going to defend myself.
Now, I am not sure if you have seen it, but a moderator has asked us to leave it. So that is all I am going to say on the matter and as far as I am concerned the matter is closed.

Wait till you meet him, he's frightening and he wears this big mad intimidating garb, looks like a cross between Ronald macdonald and a morris dancer. Mad. :D

D

Deleted member 15344

What are the punishments in place for breaking the PL rule L9? I've not seen them spelled out anywhere but I assume that if it says that the punishment for breaking that rule is relegation from the PL and a 20 point deduction at the start of the following season you will fully support that action, as "unfortunately the punishments for the rules they broke were there".

Is that the rule about competing in a competition not sanctioned by Prem etc ?

I can’t recall any of the clubs have actually competed in any other competitions beyond the UEFA , FA or Prem league comps this season ?

But let’s see what a lawyer will say if it goes ahead and also what sanctions they have in place

That also doesn’t take away the point that fans don’t want to see clubs be deducted points Imo unless the club is cheating

But if they do go ahead with it then lawyers will be rubbing their hands

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is that the rule about competing in a competition not sanctioned by Prem etc ?

I can’t recall any of the clubs have actually competed in any other competitions beyond the UEFA , FA or Prem league comps this season ?

But let’s see what a lawyer will say if it goes ahead and also what sanctions they have in place

That also doesn’t take away the point that fans don’t want to see clubs be deducted points Imo unless the club is cheating

But if they do go ahead with it then lawyers will be rubbing their hands

Not it's not. The actual rule is about being able to "enter" a non-sanctioned competition, not "competing" in one.

How legally binding the contracts are for those clubs entering the competition are will make a massive difference to any punishment. But well done on deflecting from the question of whether you would support any punishment.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not it's not. The actual rule is about being able to "enter" a non-sanctioned competition, not "competing" in one.

How legally binding the contracts are for those clubs entering the competition are will make a massive difference to any punishment. But well done on deflecting from the question of whether you would support any punishment.

As I said already - don’t believe points should be deducted for clubs going into administration like Portsmouth ?‍♂️

I don’t support it for anything apart from cheating

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The vast majority of punishments and penalties given to football clubs for malpractice or rule-breaking affects the fans even though it’s not their fault (ask Rangers fans)

As a fan you reap the rewards of having greedy money sucking sociopaths at the top of your club that are rich beyond belief unfortunately when they over step you need to take the bad with the good

Imo best drop them down a divi or 20 points deducted this season and 20 points next season that should sting a little.

I would say you could slam the owners with the "fit & proper" test and then find them all, well "unfit"...after all they tried to upset a competition that they themselves are part of. So I can't imagine anyone being more unsuitable than a "saboteur".

Yeah, it will; it'll sting the Premier League who will lose their 6 biggest draw teams, and consequently affect revenue streams, potentially for 3 or 4 seasons until they all get back in. That will affect incomes for the remaining 14. The remaining 14 will also potentially lose transfer revenue as the "Big 6" will be unlikely to buy from them or pay the previous prices; great if the other 14 can survive without that revenue, but can they?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As I said already - don’t believe points should be deducted for clubs going into administration like Portsmouth ?‍♂️

I don’t support it for anything apart from cheating

But you said "I very much doubt many fans would have wanted to see Portsmouth punished for the actions of the owners - but unfortunately the punishments for the rules they broke were there". My question was, if the rules state that the punishment for breaking PL rule L9 are relegation and a 20 point deduction at the start of next year would you support that? Whether you believe a points deduction should be applied or not, if the rules are there then surely you have to support them?

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
But you said "I very much doubt many fans would have wanted to see Portsmouth punished for the actions of the owners - but unfortunately the punishments for the rules they broke were there". My question was, if the rules state that the punishment for breaking PL rule L9 are relegation and a 20 point deduction at the start of next year would you support that? Whether you believe a points deduction should be applied or not, if the rules are there then surely you have to support them?

Of course not, he's a Liverpool supporter, the rules are different for them and the other big teams

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Of course not, he's a Liverpool supporter, the rules are different for them and the other big teams

Same as the other 22 teams who usurped division 1 from the football league at the start of the premier league, of which Everton were one of the big 5 who were at the forefront of it (as well as us), but dont let facts get in the way of a pop at the only team you're really bothered about, eh?

Maybe you're not old enough to remember when you were a top dog.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They can, but I bet you they arent.

Most matchgoing fans arent as easily "bought off" with fancy baubles, and actually care more about their club and football as a whole that you would give us credit for.
I know as much as you do, I certainly wouldn't be if it was my club (fwiw I would love nothing more than to see the back of our current 'owner'), but the comments I was reading were on the Liverpool Echo facebook page, so more likely to be locals I wouuld have thought. Blues fans in for a wind up maybe?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know as much as you do, I certainly wouldn't be if it was my club (fwiw I would love nothing more than to see the back of our current 'owner'), but the comments I was reading were on the Liverpool Echo facebook page, so more likely to be locals I wouuld have thought. Blues fans in for a wind up maybe?

There are all sorts of loons on whatever subject on newspaper comments pages, fan forums are a better idea, but I dont know one Liverpool fan who was even partly in favour of the ESL and most vehemently against it.

They were also horrified at our owners being party to it, as well as 3-4 other things they have apologised for and also committed U turns on, due to fan pressure. Buying an Mbappe may please some, but most locals/matchgoers wont sell our soul for a few high profile player acquisitions, even though overdue. If they step out of line again, we'll be the first to hold them to account.

Last edited: