England top 100

• Thread starter Deleted member 23270
  • Start date

petema99

Visit site
No idea how the Addington ends up so high

Have you played recently? The works over the last couple years have been phenomenal. Played two rounds there last month and thought it was up there with the 3 Ws, Berkshire, etc. - in fact, I have no doubt that once the changes have bedded in over the next few years, it'll climb the rankings quite quickly. A very different course to the last time I played in late 2020.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really like Sheringham, but I'm not much good at judging the relative merits of golf courses so can't say whether my view that it should be in there is fair!

EDIT: Perhaps I'm giving too much credit to the view, rather than the course in isolation.

FURTHER EDIT: I'm blind, it is in there! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played 57 and 30 of the top 40. Like moving chess pieces a little. Losing interest really on what is at say 30 and 50. All great courses. A couple that are pushing it - Belfry usually the most over rated.

D

Deleted member 25172

Played 14. How Royal North Devon is above Blackmoor is beyond me. Understand that there’s the history about RND and all that, but still surprised it’s on the top 100 at all. Not even the car park is that impressive

D

Deleted member 15344

Have you played recently? The works over the last couple years have been phenomenal. Played two rounds there last month and thought it was up there with the 3 Ws, Berkshire, etc. - in fact, I have no doubt that once the changes have bedded in over the next few years, it'll climb the rankings quite quickly. A very different course to the last time I played in late 2020.

Yep played last year and unless in that period they have dug it up and grabbed some other course then it’s miles away from the W’s and will never be at the level of the Berkshire- too many stupid holes

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Played 3 (all in the 70's and lower) and never been one for paying top dollar when my golf can't justify the outlay.
Played those to date on corporate days, so effectively free.

However, I am playing a top 10 course on Monday (RL&SA), for the princely sum of £15 including post match meal :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.....annual seniors friendly match between our clubs!!!

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm at 25 having played East Devon a few weeks ago.
I guess Lydd was 101 and Horton Park thanks to their "amazing Sawgrass like" par-3 10th would be at 102. :LOL:

D

Deleted member 15344

I have played 59 now out of the top 100 on that list

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Played 23 of them. Started rereading the list to pick out my favourite, and one I wouldn’t revisit. Woodhall Spa is the one I’d visit every week but there’s so many others that fall into the same category.

As for which one I wouldn’t revisit… I’d rather not have the argument.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting looking at the websites of some of these courses, it's hard to find any real bargains out there now.

I remember playing Tandridge for £40 on a twilight Friday night deal a few years ago, Crowborough Beacon for £25 on a Monday afternoon, and Sheringham for £45 on a twilight deal, all mid summer. Seems like they're all £100 give or take a few quid these days.

Not wishing to derail the thread, but are there many/any highly rated courses that are available at a good rate (under £50 is how I'd define that)?

I guess this is a sign of golf booming, demand being high and maybe members playing more than they used to as well which can only a good thing, even if from my selfish perspective it means I can't play some of those courses at a bargain rate!

petema99

Visit site
Interesting looking at the websites of some of these courses, it's hard to find any real bargains out there now.

I remember playing Tandridge for £40 on a twilight Friday night deal a few years ago, Crowborough Beacon for £25 on a Monday afternoon, and Sheringham for £45 on a twilight deal, all mid summer. Seems like they're all £100 give or take a few quid these days.

Not wishing to derail the thread, but are there many/any highly rated courses that are available at a good rate (under £50 is how I'd define that)?

I guess this is a sign of golf booming, demand being high and maybe members playing more than they used to as well which can only a good thing, even if from my selfish perspective it means I can't play some of those courses at a bargain rate!

Still a few, but tend to be harder to get to and often up north, e.g. Seacroft, Seaton Carew, Goswick, Perranporth, Cavendish, etc. But agree price of green fees has gotten v silly