Rival Ranking - Golf World Top 200 in England

D-S

Visit site
If there weren’t hundreds and hundreds of courses in England which were significantly better tests, less dangerous, better conditioned and more enjoyable than West Cornwall and The Warren at Dawlish, I think I’d give up the game. Just because courses are in parcels of land that shouldn’t fit 12 or 13 sensible holes in let alone 18 and therefore are bizarre or incredibly quirky doesn’t mean they are ‘Top’ courses. A multitude of blind fairways (some of them shared which makes them incredibly dangerous), shots over car parks and greens surrounded by tarmac roads shouldn’t feature on ‘Top’ golf courses.

Visit site
I’ve played 27 of the “Top 100” rankings (15 of the top 50).

What I’ve come to notice is conditioning doesn’t seem to be appreciated on those lists, as much as the course designer, the history and prestige, and naturally the layout as well.

I also don’t think there’s really much in terms of course quality between courses in the top 10, and top 50 which is why I think other factors mentioned above end up influencing it.

I’ve also played a few highly rated courses which have far too many “ordinary” holes with no particular quirks, challenge or distinguishing factors to be that high up the rankings in my opinion.

The Lion

Visit site
Agreed. I always find it strange that some people still rate Weston so highly. I can only think they haven't played it within the last 10 years (i.e. before the club managed to ruin it as a challenge and half a dozen fairways became devoid of grass) and/or give it bonus Mackenzie points (despite his minimal input).

Been thinking of finally playing Weston in the coming days, so some input on condition and the ruination of it as a challenge would be helpful please…

wjemather

Visit site
Been thinking of finally playing Weston in the coming days, so some input on condition and the ruination of it as a challenge would be helpful please…
About 10 years ago, many fairways were widened, rough height was lowered and all the extreme rough was cut down, and has been kept down ever since; as such there is now much less definition and character to the course, and the penalty for wayward shots is much reduced.

When I was there earlier this year, several fairways (but especially the 10th) were still very poor (more weeds and bare patches than grass), as they have been for many years now.

Shame, because it used to be much better.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

It’s still a good course but as with Burnham and Burrow up the road the fairways suffered in the drought last summer and then heavy rains on burnt out grass. But it’s starting to recover and should be good next year - I enjoy playing there

D-S

Visit site
It isn't worth the £60-70 visitor green fee.
Couldn't agree more - it is £45 weekday £60 weekend County Card, still not value. It could be great but simply hasn't got definition, quality of bunkering, enough stand out holes or conditioning (apart from the greens which are normally good) to make it a must play.

D

Deleted member 15344

Couldn't agree more - it is £45 weekday £60 weekend County Card, still not value. It could be great but simply hasn't got definition, quality of bunkering, enough stand out holes or conditioning (apart from the greens which are normally good) to make it a must play.

£45 for a round during the week is below average green fee for clubs in top 200 etc

You don’t get much change out of £50 for any half decent now

Springveldt

Visit site
Newbiggin or Foxton? Foxton every day for me but not a mention. I'm not decrying Newbiggin but I would not have them that way around. (I'd also have Hexham and Tyneside above it but hey, that's lists and links courses for you. Darn links :mad:)
I've never played Foxton (don't really play many "away" courses) but by all accounts most people will put it above Newbiggin. As @Jigger said I think they've put Newbiggin on the list because it's a links course, they always rank links courses higher in these lists. Newbiggin was sneaky good when I played it though and you also have 12 months of golf there compared to a lot of courses around here.

D

Deleted member 15344

Agreed, that”s why it shouldn’t be in the top 200.

Comfortably in there for me - but it’s all subjective when it comes to course ratings etc and Weston is rated that level for many others

D-S

Visit site
Comfortably in there for me - but it’s all subjective when it comes to course ratings etc and Weston is rated that level for many others
As you say it’s entirely subjective, but when a few clubs according to one’s own taste are featured in the top 200 (of which I have played 70) that you really think are poor then unfortunately this sours your view of the entire list. This list is particularly one that I disagree with and as such I wouldn’t use it to inform my choice of future destination.

D

Deleted member 15344

As you say it’s entirely subjective, but when a few clubs according to one’s own taste are featured in the top 200 (of which I have played 70) that you really think are poor then unfortunately this sours your view of the entire list. This list is particularly one that I disagree with and as such I wouldn’t use it to inform my choice of future destination.

I agree that the list isn’t perfect by any stretch and there are some courses there I wouldn’t have in

Reactions: D-S

The Lion

Visit site
It’s still a good course but as with Burnham and Burrow up the road the fairways suffered in the drought last summer and then heavy rains on burnt out grass. But it’s starting to recover and should be good next year - I enjoy playing there
Might be worth leaving a year then?

How about Burnham. Was gonna play there twilight this Friday, but perhaps the condition isn’t so great?

D-S

Visit site
Might be worth leaving a year then?

How about Burnham. Was gonna play there twilight this Friday, but perhaps the condition isn’t so great?
They lost Final Open Qualifying this year (Porthcawl stepped in) due to the fairway issues but the fairways are back to normal now, although they’ll be introducing mats again soon so maybe worth checking.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
If there weren’t hundreds and hundreds of courses in England which were significantly better tests, less dangerous, better conditioned and more enjoyable than West Cornwall and The Warren at Dawlish, I think I’d give up the game. Just because courses are in parcels of land that shouldn’t fit 12 or 13 sensible holes in let alone 18 and therefore are bizarre or incredibly quirky doesn’t mean they are ‘Top’ courses. A multitude of blind fairways (some of them shared which makes them incredibly dangerous), shots over car parks and greens surrounded by tarmac roads shouldn’t feature on ‘Top’ golf courses.
As soon as I saw that I found myself wondering if its inclusion was due to the exposure provided by a certain golfing influencer.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
For what it’s worth - which is diddly squat - and what it means if anything…I‘ve played just 9 of 101-200 but 20 of 1-100.

In a way my 101-200 count being low is not surprising since I played most of my golf in England between 1984 and 2003 in Bristol, Glos, N Somerset and Wiltshire - and even today these counties aren’t exactly awash with golfing riches…though there are some very nice clubs and courses.