Rival Ranking - Golf World Top 200 in England

4LEX

Visit site
Played 54 of them. Some very funny rankings.

Poor form asking to play Woburn again and causing drama. Which distorts and discredits the list as all three would've made the Top 200.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I’ve done 46 and some defy logic like Royal Ashdown Forest West, so I’d regard it as worthless as there are at least four in Sussex alone which are much better but not mentioned.
I've done 5. One of which is the Ashdown Forest West. It's a perfectly reasonable golf course for a £25 twilight amble, a top course it is not! When that's there and places like Sweetwoods/Nevill aren't, something is definitely afoot!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
26 in the first 100, and 15 in the second 100.

St George’s in first place. I guess there’s been lots of improvements. Nice to see my favourite course, Woodhall’s Hotchkin, rated so highly.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
It surprised me that I have played 13 of them, as I've always considered myself to be a non-tourist golfer.
Only one in top 49 and that is Ganton. That was 1982. Beau Deset is number 50 and that was early 1990s.
Seaton Carew also in 1982.
Played Close House about 1980 when it was pay and play - 50p in the honesty box. Maybe I shouldn't count that one as it is completely different courses now.

Played Bude when the greenfee was half-a-crown for my dad and 1-and-3 for me.

D-S

Visit site
I’ve played 70 of these and, though the obvious best courses are of course in there, this is possibly one of the worst rankings I have ever seen. There are a couple of courses that I wouldn’t play again even if I had a free green fee and many that I wouldn’t bother playing again and would avoid.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Played 10 of them but I do wonder how the likes of Reddish Vale gets in there - there are far better courses within an hour of there that aren't included.

Pleasington being an obvious example, Clitheroe or even Preston.
I played Reddish Vale during September last year. My view may be skewed by the fact that it rained for 21 of the 36 holes, and also it was the end of a long dry summer which left the course looking a bit scruffy in my opinion.

The thing is I came away a bit confused. I felt that I should have really enjoyed it, but I didn't. Holes like the Par 3 9th and the Par 4 18th added nothing to the experience, and there are others.

If I was ever back in the area for golf I'd definitely give it another go, hopefully in better weather, just to see if my current view of the course is wrong.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I played Reddish Vale during September last year. My view may be skewed by the fact that it rained for 21 of the 36 holes, and also it was the end of a long dry summer which left the course looking a bit scruffy in my opinion.

The thing is I came away a bit confused. I felt that I should have really enjoyed it, but I didn't. Holes like the Par 3 9th and the Par 4 18th added nothing to the experience, and there are others.

If I was ever back in the area for golf I'd definitely give it another go, hopefully in better weather, just to see if my current view of the course is wrong.

Weirdly the feeling scruffy was exactly my experience of it as well.

D

Deleted member 1147

Managed 35 of them - not too bad, but not enough links tracks yet
30 in places 1-100, 5 in places 101-200

Last edited by a moderator:

Teebs

Visit site
You look at that and realise how lucky we are in the UK. Surprised to see York in there and not my home club (Malton & Norton).

wjemather

Visit site
Weston Super Mare! Found that a strange one.
Agreed. I always find it strange that some people still rate Weston so highly. I can only think they haven't played it within the last 10 years (i.e. before the club managed to ruin it as a challenge and half a dozen fairways became devoid of grass) and/or give it bonus Mackenzie points (despite his minimal input).

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I’m extremely surprised to see newbiggin in there ahead of some much better courses I’m aware of in the north east! Purely gets a mention because it’s a links

Springveldt

Visit site
I’m extremely surprised to see newbiggin in there ahead of some much better courses I’m aware of in the north east! Purely gets a mention because it’s a links
I played it a couple of weeks ago and it was in cracking condition. I get people in the area look down on it due to location and the old Alcan factory being in the backdrop but I was very, very impressed with the condition of it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played it a couple of weeks ago and it was in cracking condition. I get people in the area look down on it due to location and the old Alcan factory being in the backdrop but I was very, very impressed with the condition of it.
Newbiggin or Foxton? Foxton every day for me but not a mention. I'm not decrying Newbiggin but I would not have them that way around. (I'd also have Hexham and Tyneside above it but hey, that's lists and links courses for you. Darn links :mad:)

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Yep I like it but just think there’s better

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Newbiggin or Foxton? Foxton every day for me but not a mention. I'm not decrying Newbiggin but I would not have them that way around. (I'd also have Hexham and Tyneside above it but hey, that's lists and links courses for you. Darn links :mad:)
Yep. Lists are always subjective and I love them as a general indicator for travelling but was just surprised at newbiggin above as you say, foxton for one.