Rival Ranking - Golf World Top 200 in England

D

Deleted member 25172

As usual, these lists are always subjective and there's actually not a right or wrong. Having said that, perhaps these lists should be renamed to be best "golf experiences" instead, as there are other parameters weighed in.

It awesome to have played Royal North Devon for example, knowing that it's the oldest golf course in England, but to have it as a better golf course as say, Beaconsfield (no 143 on the list), nah - not having that. :)

Always a fun read though!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just about to scrol through the courses but a controversial exclusion for Woburn at their request!

He says that all panelists had played all 3 courses and they had enough info to rank the courses but they felt they needed to play them again just to be sure...
Almost sounds like they wanted another day out for nothing..... :unsure:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
He says that all panelists had played all 3 courses and they had enough info to rank the courses but they felt they needed to play them again just to be sure...
Almost sounds like they wanted another day out for nothing..... :unsure:
Agree with that. Was there anything stopping them paying a green fee to play them again?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Agree with that. Was there anything stopping them paying a green fee to play them again?
Part of the deal when being a reviewer I'd have said.
Sometimes you'll get a freebie but if you want to do this sort of thing you have to be prepared to dip into your pocket
Whether the magazine reimburses or not I don't know but expecting a freebie for a ranking in a magazine that is, realistically, not going to make or break a club like Woburn is asking a lot.

sjw

Visit site
Astonished to see Felixstowe Martello in there. I grew up in Felixstowe and have walked alongside the course many times and I've never thought it looked all that. Certainly not £80 worth

D-S

Visit site
Top 200 in a single country!

Does being ranked say 180th best in show really have any meaning, not sure what importance to attach to that
Nothing at all - there are some shockers on the 100-200 list, sadly it’ll just be used as an excuse for clubs to disproportionately raise their green fees.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’ve done 9 of them, and I agree it is entirely subjective, both in terms of which courses are included and which aren’t, and the ranking positions of those which made it.

It’s nice that so many of these courses are available to play in Opens, because it means some top quality tracks are available at really good prices - if, of course, you can get a spot.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Luffenham Heath was in Leicestershire from 1974 to 1997.

Leicestershire & Rutland is still one "golfing county".

Longcliffe would probably be Leicestershire's best hope of making such a list. Opens there get filled-up very quickly indeed.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Played 10 of them but I do wonder how the likes of Reddish Vale gets in there - there are far better courses within an hour of there that aren't included.

Pleasington being an obvious example, Clitheroe or even Preston.