Ebay

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You have to now. Don't or very rarely sell on ebay now as a few donkeys spoil it for everyone. I've had a couple of things returned that have been used. All you need to say is that is doesn't match the description and ebay ALWAYS side with the purchaser.

I had this last week. Sold an Apple Watch (original), took loads of photos of the watch face, case and strap. Not a single scratch on the face or marks to the case, only thing (which was clearly shown in the photos) was the strap was very slightly discoloured at the point where it closes (you cannot notice once done up). The watch was worn everyday for 3 years and was clearly sold as 'Used'.

Despite all this the buyer immediately raised a case against me as the 'item did not match the description'. There was no point in me contesting it (even though the bloke had obviously changed his mind) and I was forced to accept the return by eBay. I then had to wait 3 weeks to get the watch back and eBay automatically refunded the buyer before I'd even had a chance to double check that it was still in the same state that I sent it off in.

I've given up being a seller on eBay now, it's just too easy for time wasters. I've found Gumtree far more reliable and you get people collecting rather than mucking around with PayPal and postage.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Its laughable that people put 'I don't accept returns' in their listing as if it means something - utter waste of time. You will have no choice if the buyer decides so

If you have written your listing correctly, without using subjective terms like "good condition" or "8/10 condition", and photographed the item well, so there can be no argument about the items condition, then buyers will find it very difficult to justify returning an item on the basis that it is "not in the described condition".

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
If you have written your listing correctly, without using subjective terms like "good condition" or "8/10 condition", and photographed the item well, so there can be no argument about the items condition, then buyers will find it very difficult to justify returning an item on the basis that it is "not in the described condition".

....and immediately after posting I see the post above mine where someone has had exactly the thing I say "shouldnt" happen, happen to them!! <no appropriate smiley>

Different folks....different experiences!!!

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Nick, that's simply not true. The watch I sold had the maximum number of photos along with an exact description however as soon as the buyer claimed 'not as stated' it was automatically found in their favour. I wasn't given any particular opportunity to respond and eBay refunded the buyer.

Last edited:

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Its simply not true because it simply will not happen - ever. Try it - buy a new item with tags for pennies that has multiple photos etc including photos of the packaging etc. I guarantee the buyer will be refunded. There is no difficulty at all with getting a refund based on not as described. There are thousands, likely tens of thousands of posts across the net substantiating this very thing. Of course its unfair and disgusting, but that's ebay

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I find with eBay now that you get our bid very quickly on some items especially if they have a very low starting bid. Within minutes of upping a bid someone somewhere will bid again.

I’ve often had that happen they once sold be offered a “second chance” with the item. It makes me think they have either two eBay accounts or have a friend help them bid up their items.