Ebay

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

not happy!!!!!!
I was bidding on a putter and winning,only a few hours left and the item vanishes from the site. Ok ,no problem with that ,sold elsewhere was my assumption . WRONG . The reason given was no bids on the putter and was removed to put back on sale again .
there was two bids on the putter and although it was really low in bidding there were bids placed.
Have I got a reason to be miffed at this ,or am I being a spoilt child because I didnt get my putter for next to nothing.

surely if an item has had bids placed that the seller cant just remove the item stating no bids were placed as an excuse.
bad form imo.
you thoughts would be welcome on this

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
He should have set a reserve on the putter. Cant blame him for not wanting it to go for next to nothing though.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
He should have set a reserve on the putter. Cant blame him for not wanting it to go for next to nothing though.
Bad idea. I never bid on auctions with a reserve set, can't be bothered messing about with multiple bids to discover what the reserve is. On occasions I've messaged the seller & they've told me!

When I sell, I set the opening bid to the lowest amount I'm prepared to accept & note "no reserve" prominently in the description.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Chances are you would not have got it for next to nothing. Most bids that win are put in during a frantic final minute then crazy last 10 seconds.

Thats before you even think about gettinf sniped which is auto bid application.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

not happy!!!!!!
I was bidding on a putter and winning,only a few hours left and the item vanishes from the site. Ok ,no problem with that ,sold elsewhere was my assumption . WRONG . The reason given was no bids on the putter and was removed to put back on sale again .
there was two bids on the putter and although it was really low in bidding there were bids placed.
Have I got a reason to be miffed at this ,or am I being a spoilt child because I didnt get my putter for next to nothing.

surely if an item has had bids placed that the seller cant just remove the item stating no bids were placed as an excuse.
bad form imo.
you thoughts would be welcome on this

The seller got cold feet thinking his putter is going to sell for next to nothing so pulls it but as us ebay uses know items generally make their money right at the end of the auction.Example; had a set of Titleist 690mb irons that were pottering in the 40 £ mark for ages only for them to make £120 within the last 2 minutes,I would have accepted £80 for them :).

U

User62651

Dont think you can cancel an auction in the last 12 hours.

Expect a bit of nonsense with buying/selling on ebay and you wont get disappointed.

I sold my Cally irons recently, winning bid was £138, buyer had a sob story about waiting to get paid, anyway gave him a day to think about it and he cancelled as I could sense he would. Didn't stress me as I'd had a good bit of interest. 2nd chance offer wasn't taken so had to relist. You'd think it would be a pain relisting but re-auctioned a few days later, went for £198.

On that occassion was happy original buyer welched. Silver linings...

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Ah! The joys of Ebay!

Sniping is the way to go!

Set your max price and no worries about getting hooked in a bidding war!

not had particular issues with selling stuff either - it all happens in the last few seconds (with snipes!) these days!

U

User62651

It's great sometimes, sent in a very cheeky offer on a Patagonia jacket earlier I'd been watching and even apologised for the derisory offer, however buyer accepted, sometimes any cash is better than holding stock I suppose. Happy days.................. as long as it is Patagonia and not Patagucci or whatever.:p

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Always put what I'm prepared to pay in the 'maximum bid' box and then just walk away and forget about it then a few days later I'll get a message telling me if I've won or not, same when I'm selling, I'll put down what I think is a fair price for it as a 'buy it now' and that's it, buy it, don't buy it, your choice...

I don't do bidding wars...

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always have a starting price of the minimum I want for the item.

I have been totally fed up with sellers who refuse to sell the item because it failed to reach the price they expected to get.

The trouble with a reserve price is that the minimum reserve price is £50.

I have often bid at £49.99 for items with a reserve knowing that I only have to buy if the seller is willing to sell at that price.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Always put what I'm prepared to pay in the 'maximum bid' box and then just walk away and forget about it then a few days later I'll get a message telling me if I've won or not...
I don't do bidding wars...

Spot on. Bid your maximum and bid early - you'll only ever pay a bit more than the second highest bidder so there's no reason to not do it this way. The last-minute bidders will only win if they're prepared to pay more than your maximum - which is fair enough. I love winning something and then looking at the bid history to see that someone has put in five frantic bids in the last 30 seconds with each one beaten by ebay doing its auto-bidding thing on my behalf. :D

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Spot on. Bid your maximum and bid early - you'll only ever pay a bit more than the second highest bidder so there's no reason to not do it this way. The last-minute bidders will only win if they're prepared to pay more than your maximum - which is fair enough. I love winning something and then looking at the bid history to see that someone has put in five frantic bids in the last 30 seconds with each one beaten by ebay doing its auto-bidding thing on my behalf. :D

Great innit, just the thought of some fool sat on the other end of the line frantically tapping the bid button only to be knocked back time and time again:temper:...

I can feel an eBay sesh comin on... :thup:

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The benefits of having a newborn baby is that I can scour ebay in the early hours and find items ending.

When they are on at those times you don’t get the last minute rushes. Yesterday I bought a brand new Cleveland rtx 2.0 wedge at 5:30am for £44 (including p&p). You see second ones on for more than that!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

But if you also wait until the last second, you only have to beat their first bid, which can save you more than a few pounds.

Admittedly this requires that you be at the computer when the item closes but the excitement as the auction draws to a close makes it worthwhile. :D

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
But if you also wait until the last second, you only have to beat their first bid, which can save you more than a few pounds.

Admittedly this requires that you be at the computer when the item closes but the excitement as the auction draws to a close makes it worthwhile. :D
That doesn't make sense. If you're the highest bidder it doesn't matter when the bid is made. If there are two equal highest bids then the earlier one wins.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
That doesn't make sense. If you're the highest bidder it doesn't matter when the bid is made. If there are two equal highest bids then the earlier one wins.

LincolnShep said that he liked looking at the bid history to see someone making five frantic bids in the last minute to try and beat his already placed bid.
Let's say LS bid £30, Frantic then came up late and bid £15, saw that they weren't the highest bidder so raised to £18, then £20, then £22, then £25, then gave up or time ran out, so LS pays £26.

If LS had been able to wait until 5 seconds to go before placing his bid of £30 then that same frantic bidder would only have put in their first bid of £15 and wouldn't have had time to raise so LS pays £16, a saving in this instance of £10 but could be much more.

This all assumes that LS could be at the computer at the appointed time and that Frantic hasn't used a snipe tool, which many don't.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
LincolnShep said that he liked looking at the bid history to see someone making five frantic bids in the last minute to try and beat his already placed bid.
Let's say LS bid £30, Frantic then came up late and bid £15, saw that they weren't the highest bidder so raised to £18, then £20, then £22, then £25, then gave up or time ran out, so LS pays £26.

If LS had been able to wait until 5 seconds to go before placing his bid of £30 then that same frantic bidder would only have put in their first bid of £15 and wouldn't have had time to raise so LS pays £16, a saving in this instance of £10 but could be much more.

This all assumes that LS could be at the computer at the appointed time and that Frantic hasn't used a snipe tool, which many don't.
Fair enough if this happens but I find that most snipers only make one bid within seconds of the end of the auction &, often, there are more than one. Under these circumstances it makes no difference when you bid.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Depends what side of the deal you are on. When buying the most annoying thing is early bidders. It only takes 2 who keep putting the bid up every minute or so by the minimal amount. The price is being pushed up all the time. Bargains are impossible to get when this happens. You want everyone bidding in the last few seconds to get it as cheap as it will go.

That being said as a seller I love these people