Ebay

• Thread starter Deleted member 31467
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 31467

I've just sold a putter on Ebay with a buy it now price of £285 plus £6.85 for postage. Buyer has paid for it and Ebay have sent me the money.......£227.57!!! Transaction fee £37.66 (which was made clear) but another £26.62 for ad fee standard (whatever that is) hidden in the small print. Just wanted to highlight the selling costs to other users, needless to say I won't be selling anything through them again. Other options like Gumtree and Marketplace seem to be better options these days.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've just sold a putter on Ebay with a buy it now price of £285 plus £6.85 for postage. Buyer has paid for it and Ebay have sent me the money.......£227.57!!! Transaction fee £37.66 (which was made clear) but another £26.62 for ad fee standard (whatever that is) hidden in the small print. Just wanted to highlight the selling costs to other users, needless to say I won't be selling anything through them again. Other options like Gumtree and Marketplace seem to be better options these days.
I always wait for £1 selling fee offers before selling as their fees went ridiculous when they split from Paypal.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've used Ebay for several years, but it does seem like their costs have skyrocketed this year. The problem is, I still want to use them because you have such a vast number of people to sell to over any other method, meaning you've much more chance of making a sale in the first place.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site

The 1st fee you mention is standard
Roughly 13% I always call it

So as others have pointed out, I too only sell when I've got the 80% off selling fees days

The 2nd fee I believe
You've opted into when listing, clearly unknowingly, it basically boosts your listings visibility
Like a sponsored ad

I'm sure it shows you that as the last thing to press before listing your item
Normally an.option, click Not Now......

D

Deleted member 31467

The 1st fee you mention is standard
Roughly 13% I always call it

So as others have pointed out, I too only sell when I've got the 80% off selling fees days

The 2nd fee I believe
You've opted into when listing, clearly unknowingly, it basically boosts your listings visibility
Like a sponsored ad

I'm sure it shows you that as the last thing to press before listing your item
Normally an.option, click Not Now......
Yes you are pretty much spot on. Partially my own fault for not reading the small print and maybe not being savvy enough to play the system with £1 listings etc. It just came as a shock to lose £60 in various fees!
Anyway, looks like it will Bookface in future for selling :unsure:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

As already said you must opted in to it when listing.

I know it says 'fees apply' next to the box you tick not exactly small print.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I stopped selling on ebay when they insisted on having access to my bank account so they could collect their fees and/or pay directly into my bank account.
Fees are a joke these days too.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t use eBay to sell anymore,just seems like a hassle.
Hassle is having a load of time wasters making stupid offers for something you are selling on FB Marketplace, not turning up when arranged or promising they’ll buy next Tuesday once they’ve been paid and then never responding to messages. EBay still has some level of protection for both buyer and seller - if you time it right the fees are reasonable given the potential audience.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I stopped selling on ebay when they insisted on having access to my bank account so they could collect their fees and/or pay directly into my bank account.
Fees are a joke these days too.
fees now get taken off the price you get and the remainder goes straight to your bank account as soon as you add tracking.

I always wait for reduced fees listing days which seem to be twice a month at the moment but the biggest annoyance is that that they are always at weekends when I would rather be doing other things. I always try facebook first but it is rife with scammers and a lot of 'is this still available ................'

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The 80% reduction in fees offers are great. Get at least one such offer a month.

In OP's case

£285 + £6.85 = £291.85

Usual fee is 12.8% plus 30p. This is the £37.66 mentioned.

The 30p fee remains unchanged, but the 80% reduction to £37.36 gives a fee of £7.47 and then add on 30p to give £7.77 total fees.

I'm very happy with this rate of charge.

When the offer comes in, you get only three days to make your listing. Then the item must sell within a certain period for the reduction to apply.
I think that this is one week for an auction and 4 weeks for a fixed price. Not exactly certain about that, but it is something-like.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Must be about 18 years since I used ebay, it just seemed to get more 'hassley' even back then, I wonder if my login would still work

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I was just doing a listing (reduced fees weekend) and this is what you must have selected. It is a lot more clearer on the ebay site as it is a separate box with much larger print and I have edited it a bit.

PROMOTED LISTINGS​

Promote your listings to increase the likelihood of a sale by helping your items be seen by millions of active buyers.
Promoted Listings Standard
Reach more buyers
Only pay when your item sells through a click on your ad.

25% more clicks
When using Promoted Listings Standard, on average (data from Sept 2022 - Feb 2023).

Listing ad rate
10.7%

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
i got an 80% off selling fees email this morning. Got nothing to sell though.

I think I used it last time I sold something, but the item didn't sell, then in auto-relisted itself and did sell the second time. But I didn't get the 80% off because it was relisted. So you pretty much have to list at a lower price to guarantee the sale when you're using the offer.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
That is one of the reasons that I tend to use a buy-it-now or best-offer, because you have 4 weeks to sell it with the 80% reduction. With an auction, it must sell in one week.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That is one of the reasons that I tend to use a buy-it-now or best-offer, because you have 4 weeks to sell it with the 80% reduction. With an auction, it must sell in one week.

One of the things I dislike with BIN is that people must be actually looking for that item whereas some buy simply because they see it when perusing on the final day of the auction.

As per Orikoru I have been caught out by auto relist in the past.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
One of the things I dislike with BIN is that people must be actually looking for that item whereas some buy simply because they see it when perusing on the final day of the auction.

As per Orikoru I have been caught out by auto relist in the past.
I get your point, but I have rarely sold individual clubs, only sets of irons, sets of woods or full sets.
They all seem to get plenty of views in the first week.
I'm probably appealing to a market that is specific, but with a very keenly interested set of potential buyers.

Whoever wins an auction, would have been prepared to pay more - is one way I look at it.
I think of a price I would be happy to sell for, then add a bit for the asking price, but put "or best offer".
If it does not sell after 4 weeks, I take it down and try again a few weeks or months later.