Driver fitting at last, and the winner is....

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been putting this off all year, but having amassed enough to buy several drivers with some canny bets I finally bit the bullet and went to Direct Golf Lincoln for an upgrade. Following lessons over winter and an improved swing I've been hitting my driver well, a few blips, mostly ballooned shots that seem to just go up instead of out, hence the curiosity over what my new swing and 4 years of driver development could add.

The evening was perfect, slight breeze, warm, they don't have a monitor so I was just hitting balls onto a range (admittedly with Srixon range balls). Took my 12 degree regular G15, bought new at Gainsborough in 2011 where I was fit for it while I still hadn't attained a handicap (only started playing).

Tried the G30, 915, R15, Aeroburner, Cobra, Mizuno JPX, SLDR, Callaway XR.

I thought I might have needed to upgrade to a stiff shaft but quickly put my ego back in it's box when I found them all far too stiff.

The regular shafts worked better, now to loft settings. Tried everything from 9.5 to 11.5. And the winner was...

The G15 that I brought with me.

Nothing launched as well. The only longer driver was the 10.5 degree Reg R15 with the sliders set in the middle. Catching one out of the middle sent it about the same carry but with a lower flight and more run. Catch it anywhere else and it went nowhere compared with an off centre hit with the G15. I'm not good enough to catch it in the middle every time.

The guy fitting, Mark, was a top bloke who had great patience with me as he saw driver after driver consigned to the "no" pile. He said I hit the G15 really well and if there isn't any driver or setting he can improve that with, then that's that. The ballooning he said is probably more likely to be using a high spinning ball in the wind, and I don't know how I haven't copped this before but I will not be using the ProV1 in windy conditions in future. He suggested the Bridgestone E1 as a good alternative. Said that most of us normals aren't really working the compression of all 4 layers of a ProV and that if you like the feel around the green (which is why I use them) that's good but don't expect to get the best of it's outstanding performance like the pros do, and expect it to spin like crazy if you slice, hook or balloon one into the wind.

Went for a driver fitting, fit for a ball. Was happy to pay £350 for the one, will end up paying £20 for a dozen. Would things have gone differently with a monitor involved? Perhaps. Maybe the spin I was putting on those range balls would've looked different in numbers and I could have found a lower spinning driver, but my flight with the G15 looked exactly as it always does, so maybe not. Bottom line is I didn't hit anything I liked the feel of.

More than anything I now have peace of mind and renewed confidence my old girl. She wasn't so bad after all...

The end.

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Pretty much how I've felt about drivers too. I'm on the SLDR S now for my sins. While more forgiving than the 913 D3, I feel it's sitting where the PING G15 was for me. Confidence inspiring. It's crazy to think that out of everything there was, there wasn't one driver that could better what you had. Says alot for driver tech.

To be honest that Ping G15 is a bloody good club and I probably should just have kept it. Bag snobbery ruled out at the end of the day and I'm not afraid to admit it lol

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pretty much how I've felt about drivers too. I'm on the SLDR S now for my sins. While more forgiving than the 913 D3, I feel it's sitting where the PING G15 was for me. Confidence inspiring. It's crazy to think that out of everything there was, there wasn't one driver that could better what you had. Says alot for driver tech.

To be honest that Ping G15 is a bloody good club and I probably should just have kept it. Bag snobbery ruled out at the end of the day and I'm not afraid to admit it lol

Hi Paul,

It was your post about drivers that inspired me to bite the bullet - so thanks for that! Didn't have the result I hoped for but at the same time I think it was a pretty good result. I won't hit a silly one and think "if only I had the XXXXX that wouldn’t have happened". Neither will I think there's a magical 20 yards somewhere and all I have to do is part with my cash for it.

I'm not saying driver tech hasn't improved, just that nothing worked as well for me, others might see a difference in a driver but I'd certainly encourage folk to stick with a club they get on with because the grass isn't necessarily greener.

Happy golfing chap

Sybez

Challenge Tour Pro
www.digitalberry.co.uk
Does your G15 have a shorter shaft length than those your tested?

Not using an LM is no major if seeing full ball flights? But really could of told you data you can't see....

Spend the money you saved on some lessons! Win win!

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I must admit. I like to try new things. I tried a G30 the other day. It made a lot of noise buy didn't go as far as the SLDR S did. I'd love to go in for a driver fitting. For all I know something totally odd could work wonders. I dunno, something like actually getting shown how to use one hahaha

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does your G15 have a shorter shaft length than those your tested?

Nope, stock shaft bought new at Ping HQ in Gainsborough, so its 45.75 I am lead to believe, which is the same as the G30 for example.

As for the lessons, absolutely, but not til I have a few more qualifiers out of the way first! Ive found an immediate negative effect to lessons, before the new trick becomes more natural and less thought goes into it, resulting in an improvement to the previous state. Have no mind to ruining my buzz this summer, Club Cha,ps this weekend!

:fore:

:cheers:

D

Deleted member 16999

Impressed with the fact you've got down to single figures in 4 years, obviously some natural talent in there!

Svenska

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I honestly thought there was no driver out there better than the one I had (an old Titleist 905R) as everything else I tried was iffy and even the 905R was mediocre at best. But Taylor Made have somehow made an R15 14 degree that is absolutely perfect for my swing and i'm killing it. I was struggling to play to 7 beforehand but in a week i've shot 75 in a medal and then at Ganton last Thursday I shot 76 on a course i'd never played before. It's given me a new lease of life. Big comp on Saturday, hoping this continues.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Doesn't sound like a driver fitting, sounds more like hitting a few stock drivers on the range. Not really the same thing at all. Still, if you are happy ....

On the balls, if the pro/shop assistant was saying the Pro V1 spinned like crazy and hooked, sliced and ballooned as a result, then he was talking complete Pro V1s himself.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Doesn't sound like a driver fitting, sounds more like hitting a few stock drivers on the range. Not really the same thing at all. Still, if you are happy ....

On the balls, if the pro/shop assistant was saying the Pro V1 spinned like crazy and hooked, sliced and ballooned as a result, then he was talking complete Pro V1s himself.

Oh this is going to hurt, but I agree...

When I tested loads of drivers for another magazine, the amount of shafts we got through and various settings was crazy, but when you go from a stock shaft to the many shafts the brand manufacturer can also supply, the difference in flight and carry distance is considerable and all the other data regarding spin, smash factors etc are all also very relevant, for me you didn't have a fitting per se.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh this is going to hurt, but I agree...

When I tested loads of drivers for another magazine, the amount of shafts we got through and various settings was crazy, but when you go from a stock shaft to the many shafts the brand manufacturer can also supply, the difference in flight and carry distance is considerable and all the other data regarding spin, smash factors etc are all also very relevant, for me you didn't have a fitting per se.

I don't agree at all!

Oh, wait a sec .... errrr, yeah, you are spot on, as usual!

(....think I got away with it)