Dress Code - Who is responsible?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree with D4s on the extra effort is worth it and I would just comply with their requirements.

For instance to miss out on going into the clubhouse at RSG and missing out on lunch, just due to not willing to put on a jacket/tie, it was very special in there, the history, the feelings, the cards on the wall and so on etc. Well worth it, l loved the forum day out there in February and hope to go back one day. Forum days are great.
I think that sort of thing might be lost on me. I love playing golf as much as anyone and trying new courses, but I don't have a lot of interest in the history aspect. I rarely even watch golf on TV.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
my issue with the dress code of jacket and tie at lunch (with golf PM too). is purely that you dont have time to change and eat and the whole thing is just illogical.

Were you playing 36 holes?

A few places we have matches against we have to do this and its never a problem, but have only been 16 of us per side

D

Deleted member 17920

Responsibility lies 50/50 in this case imo.

For NZ not to allow you to order chips is astonishing behaviour from such an established club.

Wait until we turn up next week :rofl:
I am looking forward to you turning up next week to an empty car park and the course to yourself.

You may actually win :rofl:

D

Deleted member 1740

I am looking forward to you turning up next week to an empty car park and the course to yourself.

You may actually win :rofl:

You know what I meant numb nuts. I'll beat you Mr Lincoln "NR King" Quaker even without my 2 shot hole :D

D

Deleted member 15344

so do you shower after the morning round and then put the suit on, then put your golf gear back on? all of this in approx and hour (need to eat your 3 course lunch too)....

New Zealand is not in the same league as other courses in the area.

Plenty of time - shower and change only takes 5/10 mins max

Chokeahontas

Medal Winner
Visit site
Well there will be a hell of a lot of clubs and indeed mainly all the best clubs in the GB that you shouldn't visit then.

Yep. And that's fine. I hate the image of golf sometimes, and there's a big correlation between the tie and blazer set and the Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden crowd. I'm sure that's a sweeping statement but I stand by it. And I'm sure none of them are weeping at the thought of losing me as a potential punter.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't expect to eat a CARVERY with a jacket and tie on midday.
I'd blame the club for being pretentious and not getting modern. And for not letting you know that the stick is still firmly wedged up there.,
Give it 10 years and it'll change once the old toffs die off.
Younger new golfers won't be flooding to these courses and eventually they'll struggle for membership. They'll be forced to change.

I pay a significant fee for my club (most expensive annual subs in area including two soon to be open qualifying venues) and I can stroll round in the bar with my shoes and hat on, and wear whatever colour socks I damn well like. Which is black. :)

Take the club off your society rota. Especially after your chips fiasco.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't expect to eat a CARVERY with a jacket and tie on midday.
I'd blame the club for being pretentious and not getting modern. And for not letting you know that the stick is still firmly wedged up there.,
Give it 10 years and it'll change once the old toffs die off.
Younger new golfers won't be flooding to these courses and eventually they'll struggle for membership. They'll be forced to change.

I pay a significant fee for my club (most expensive annual subs in area including two soon to be open qualifying venues) and I can stroll round in the bar with my shoes and hat on, and wear whatever colour socks I damn well like. Which is black. :)

Take the club off your society rota. Especially after your chips fiasco.

i dont think the club will be there in 10 years once they have to sell due to the McLaren development - crying shame!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Rebellious black socks, you are pushing the boundaries there :D.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just put a tie on your polo and shove a jacket on over the top 😂 especially effective if you still have shorts on too 😉 jacket and tie? Tick, i comply, now where's my carvery....

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mondays happenings must have spread across the top clubs.

I just enquired about a 2018 event @ Coombe Hill and received this on the email ....

Dear Sam,
Thank you for your enquiry regarding Society golf day in 2018.
We accept societies Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 08.30 and from 14.00 on Wednesdays. I have attached this year’s standard package details and menu for information; however, I should mention that there will probably be a slight price increase for 2018 and the menu will also change.
We operate a strict dress code at Coombe Hill therefore I have attached details accordingly.
Perhaps when you have a better idea of dates I will be able to check availability for you.
In the meantime, if I can be of further assistance please contact me.
Kind regards

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mondays happenings must have spread across the top clubs.

I just enquired about a 2018 event @ Coombe Hill and received this on the email ....

Dear Sam,
Thank you for your enquiry regarding Society golf day in 2018.
We accept societies Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 08.30 and from 14.00 on Wednesdays. I have attached this year’s standard package details and menu for information; however, I should mention that there will probably be a slight price increase for 2018 and the menu will also change.
We operate a strict dress code at Coombe Hill therefore I have attached details accordingly.
Perhaps when you have a better idea of dates I will be able to check availability for you.
In the meantime, if I can be of further assistance please contact me.
Kind regards
That's much more sensible and how it should be. If your dress code is strict, you can't really expect people to know that without you telling them.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's much more sensible and how it should be. If your dress code is strict, you can't really expect people to know that without you telling them.
ironically, the dress code is very relaxed.

they allow trainer socks and smart casual in the clubhouse!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are trainer socks not allowed in some places? In warm weather, wearing golf shorts obviously, I go into the clubhouse / bar wearing either trainer socks or no socks in my canvas shoes. What else would you wear in shorts or are you not allowed in some bars in tailored shorts still?

Tarkus1212

Challenge Tour Pro
www.johnogauntgolfclub.co.uk
Never been faced with the decision yet so not sure whether i'd go/not go, but I do know that if it was collar & tie I'd want to find out that it was the restaurant that was 'top' too not just the course

Bit off topic but a lunchtime carvery doesn't outwardly suggest its worthy of a jacket/collar/tie dealy, more of a pub chain menu that

The lunchtime carvery at Woburn is a three course epicureans delight, thankfully they dropped J&T for lunch some years ago.

D

Deleted member 15344

The lunchtime carvery at Woburn is a three course epicureans delight, thankfully they dropped J&T for lunch some years ago.

The carvery at Woburn is ok - it's a Harvester compared to what is served at places like Berkshire , RSG , St George's Hill

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Responsibility lies 50/50 in this case imo.

For NZ not to allow you to order chips is astonishing behaviour from such an established club.

Wait until we turn up next week :rofl:

Hope to god you leave your shell suit at home.

Joking aside how does a club that is supposed to be in the top 100 of this country not have a website. What's that all about.