Dress Code - Who is responsible?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
So what can we expect at NZ, in a couple of weeks?

A golf course in fantastic condition, with exceptional par 3s, and number of very similar par 4s.

imo not in the same league as the 3 Ws, Hankley or St George's, but still a good course.

the professional clearly doesn't like 'the club'

the 'club' - backward, old fashioned and stuck up their own backsides

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Despite what Coombe Hill state in their letter, most such clubs don't think that their dress code is "strict", they think it is the norm. Therefore there is no need to tell you, as everyone "knows" that's what a dress code is.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Despite what Coombe Hill state in their letter, most such clubs don't think that their dress code is "strict", they think it is the norm. Therefore there is no need to tell you, as everyone "knows" that's what a dress code is.
'Standard' dress code is collared shirts, tailored trousers/shorts and golf shoes. Surely that's what 99% of people would think. There's no way anyone can think making people wear a jacket and tie just for a bite to eat at lunch is normal or could be assumed!

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Coombe Hill is a lovely course, i really enjoyed playing there. I think it's better than it's cousin, Royal Wimbledon personally. I didn't find the dress code odd there at all. We had a match and shorts were fine everywhere. Some other of their members joined us outside for drinks after and it was a cracking time. One of them wore ladies trousers which the others took great delight in pointing out to us. Apparently he'd turned up and bought some new trousers from the pro shop and wore them without realising they were ladies. Id definitely recommend it. The course, not the trousers 😉

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
You should try Luffenham Heath near me. My firm sponsored a charity day there a few years ago. Had to change into jacket and tie for lunch which they were prepared for. Problem was it was 35 degrees in the middle of July and they had to keep their jackets on for the entire meal as nobody could get hold of the club captain or the club president to get permission for people in the clubhouse to remove them. Yes, whatever the weather, jackets had to stay on until permission was received from the club captain or president.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yup, I really don't get that. Having to get permission from one of two people only is archaic and makes a club a laughing stock. Surely the steward should be able to make that call as they are the one always present in the location where the people are in that situation.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haha, yeah, I would have just had the jacket straight off and to hell with the consequences. 35 degrees sitting with a jacket on - you can forget that.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Don't these course's that require a jacket and tie in their dining area have an outside seating area?

Surely they could just have fed your ''rabble'' outside.

I also have the image of guys sitting around with muddy golf shoes, Galvin wet trousers plus jacket and tie. :rofl:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Haha, yeah, I would have just had the jacket straight off and to hell with the consequences. 35 degrees sitting with a jacket on - you can forget that.

I think the two of us would be sat quite happily outside on the terrace eating off our knees whilst the others sweated away :cheers:. Not quite sure why anyone thinks 20+ blokes red and sweating in jackets and ties gives an air of sophistication.

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't these course's that require a jacket and tie in their dining area have an outside seating area?

I also have the image of guys sitting around with muddy golf shoes, Galvin wet trousers plus jacket and tie. :rofl:

I think the best one I ever had happened when I was fairly new to golf and had little/no understanding of dress codes. We played a society day at a nearby course that was by no means posh. It was a horrible day and after the round we were sat having a pint at a table when the barman came over and said I'm really sorry but a member has just seen you have trainers on, they aren't allowed in here. My friend didn't have any shoes with him except for his golf shoes that were absolutely caked in mud but no the club insisted he wear his golf shoes in the clubhouse so he did and made a right old mess walking through. The member was happy though as the clubs dress code was being adhered to.

I get that clubs have dress codes and I have absolutely no problem followingthem but IMO sometimes a little common sense has to be used. But then again common sense and golf very rarely go hand in hand.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Who is responsible? Obviously not the dork playing in a 4ball today. His attire was teeshirt with cutoff arms and very short shorts! I don't usually give a stuff but surely his mates must have wondered.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Well that's what he wanted but they wouldn't even serve him chips outside - just sandwiches. That's probably the most ridiculous part of it all!

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well that's what he wanted but they wouldn't even serve him chips outside - just sandwiches. That's probably the most ridiculous part of it all!
It was the fact I said I'd obviously pay for them as an extra. But because it wasn't an individual item only included within meals.

Clowns all all of them.

on a positive. Just booked Walton Heath, they've already confirmed their dress code (jacket over golf gear).

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just booked Walton Heath, they've already confirmed their dress code (jacket over golf gear).

Serious question....
What is the point of that?
I can understand jacket and tie or neither but to go half and half is just ridiculous...Jacket over golf gear..?
Someone's been at the Port ....

G

guest100718

Serious question....
What is the point of that?
I can understand jacket and tie or neither but to go half and half is just ridiculous...Jacket over golf gear..?
Someone's been at the Port ....

because it's tradition don't you know.

G

guest100718

My club is trialling allowing jeans in one of the bars... a few oldies a huffing a bit but as far as I know, it hasn't resulted in anyone dying or mass cheating in medals! When I joined 8 years ago you used to have your packet of crisps served in a bowl...

according to some it will be the beginning of the end