Dress Code Question

D

Deleted Member 1156

why does wearing what you want also mean you also act anyway you want? i could wear a shell suit and i wouldn't act any different

If you wear what you want then you are disregarding the club rules so there is a good chance you will disregard other rules as well.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you wear what you want then you are disregarding the club rules so there is a good chance you will disregard other rules as well.

that's not how I read your post. you said lets have a free for all. so if the club dropped all dress code rules then that would be ok?

D

Deleted Member 1156

that's not how I read your post. you said lets have a free for all. so if the club dropped all dress code rules then that would be ok?

If clubs did that then it would probably be the end of golf as we know it.

The game is built around traditions and standards and I would suggest that if people have a problem adhering to them then maybe golf isn't the right sport for them?

D

Deleted Member 1156

I wonder how people would react if golf degenerated to the same standards as football where players deliberately cheat to gain an advantage or have an opponent sent off. I for one wouldn't be too happy if I was runner up to someone who I knew had blatantly cheated.

chip barm

Club Champion
Visit site
i'm not a member of a club. i just pay and play all over. one place we went to, this old fella tackled me as i was about to pay for our four ball. 'oi. are they golf shoes?' he said. so i turned and replied, 'good morning. yes, they're golf shoes.' 'they don't look like golf shoes to me.' he grumbled whilst looking me up and down. 'ok but i can assure you they are.' then he limped off. it was only when i got back to the car to grab my clubs that i realised i hadn't changed out of my purple suede gazelles. my actual golf shoes were still in the boot. i LOL'd all the way to the first tee. with my shirt untucked.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
If clubs did that then it would probably be the end of golf as we know it.

The game is built around traditions and standards and I would suggest that if people have a problem adhering to them then maybe golf isn't the right sport for them?

so you think that golf exists because of a dress code and traditions? I'm finding it hard to understand that you believe golf would die without a dress code.

i dont think golf is built around traditions. i think its built around being an enjoyable/ challenging game. i would still play and enjoy golf no matter what the chap next to me is wearing

D

Deleted Member 1156

so you think that golf exists because of a dress code and traditions? I'm finding it hard to understand that you believe golf would die without a dress code.

i dont think golf is built around traditions. i think its built around being an enjoyable/ challenging game. i would still play and enjoy golf no matter what the chap next to me is wearing

You think whatever you want :thup:

Golf and snooker are the only 2 sports I can think of where players have the integrity to call fouls on themselves, every other sport people try to cheat and get away with it.

D

Deleted Member 1156

My final comment on this thread:

I don't really care what people wear because I'm not affected by those that want to wear jeans, football shirts etc because we won't ever be playing at the same courses.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
You think whatever you want :thup:

Golf and snooker are the only 2 sports I can think of where players have the integrity to call fouls on themselves, every other sport people try to cheat and get away with it.

i think we're on a different page. im struggling to understand how wearing tracksuit bottoms on the course would make them a cheat.

the belfry have a very relaxed dress code purely for greed and reward. however, one of the side effects is our junior membership has gone through the roof. so much that they are currently building junior tee's on the derby.

last week i was at range warming up before a round. i was next to a junior who was practicing wearing golf wear but normal trainers. i asked if he wanted to play with us. he said he couldn't because he only had his trainers. i made a call to the golf ops managers and we where good to go. what harm did that cause anyone? all it did was get a junior on the course

chip barm

Club Champion
Visit site
wow. that's a sweeping generalisation. has it occurred to you that golfers and snooker players feel they HAVE to call fouls on themselves because there are officials inches away from them during play?

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
wow. that's a sweeping generalisation. has it occurred to you that golfers and snooker players feel they HAVE to call fouls on themselves because there are officials inches away from them during play?

I don't think I have ever had an official inches away from me whilst playing golf, I have however called a foul on myself on numerous occasions, I believe its called integrity.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
why does wearing what you want also mean you also act anyway you want? i could wear a shell suit and i wouldn't act any different

It doesn't of course, it's a lazy response from people who don't actually have an argument so they make things up. The two don't equate to each other.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is a massive leap to say a relaxed dress code would lead to cheating. You sound like those old people who reckon smoking one joint will lead to injecting heroin by the end of the week.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My final comment on this thread:

I don't really care what people wear because I'm not affected by those that want to wear jeans, football shirts etc because we won't ever be playing at the same courses.

You Cleary DO care though, otherwise you wouldn't be writing as you are! I'm sure that as people relax more over the forthcoming years you'll look back a little sheepishly at your current thoughts and wonder how you could ever have held those views.. everything changes, look at what was acceptable just a few years ago and isn't now. Doesn't take long. Well, golf does seem to take longer than most of society but I'm sure it will get there...😊

G

guest100718

I wonder how people would react if golf degenerated to the same standards as football where players deliberately cheat to gain an advantage or have an opponent sent off. I for one wouldn't be too happy if I was runner up to someone who I knew had blatantly cheated.

plenty of cheats in golf already....